2 or II searches

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: 2 or II searches

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ops! I will fix it in the next ZXDB update.

Thanks for reporting it!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Searching for "Break/Space" yields no results, but searching for "Break Space" returns "Break/Space".
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Also "&" and "and". A search for "Horace and the Robots" returns no results; "Horace & the Robots" works.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 am Also "&" and "and". A search for "Horace and the Robots" returns no results; "Horace & the Robots" works.
Hi, as the title in ZXDB uses an ampersand it won't pick up the and in a search. Maybe the title needs changing?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 am Searching for "Break/Space" yields no results, but searching for "Break Space" returns "Break/Space".
It's possible the forward slash is stripped as part of the PHP security checks we do on strings. We can check.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 am
Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 am Also "&" and "and". A search for "Horace and the Robots" returns no results; "Horace & the Robots" works.
Hi, as the title in ZXDB uses an ampersand it won't pick up the and in a search. Maybe the title needs changing?
No, the title is correct in ZXDB, but it is quite unforgiving to insist on the exact orthography. I thought we were allowing "2" or "II", so shouldn't we also allow "&" or "and"?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Good point. I will speak with [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] and see if he has any suggestions.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I have worked for yellow pages, on it's search engine, and currently what I see reported here is entering this kind of complex search engine.

This requires a special index structure, besides a normal SQL database and it's search capabilities.
Note however, that this kind of support, takes a lot of work, and definition of alias, synonymous, link words, and other similar stuff, to be able to match all the expected outcomes.

Are we sure we want to go by this route ?

Do we have the resources, and man power to do it ?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

RMartins wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 pm I have worked for yellow pages, on it's search engine, and currently what I see reported here is entering this kind of complex search engine.

This requires a special index structure, besides a normal SQL database and it's search capabilities.
Note however, that this kind of support, takes a lot of work, and definition of alias, synonymous, link words, and other similar stuff, to be able to match all the expected outcomes.

Are we sure we want to go by this route ?

Do we have the resources, and man power to do it ?
You are right. We will never reach a perfect, flawless solution without investing more resources than it's reasonable to expect from a free site.

Even so, I think we can still get better results using a few smart tricks. Let's see...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 amSearching for "Break/Space" yields no results, but searching for "Break Space" returns "Break/Space".
This should be working now.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 amAlso "&" and "and". A search for "Horace and the Robots" returns no results; "Horace & the Robots" works.
This should be working now.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 amSearch for 'Arkanoid 2' doesn't work.
This should work after the next ZXDB update.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Another issue:

If I'm looking for 'V', by Ocean, the system tells me the word must be minimum 3 characters long. So I must look for 'Ocean', and search for the game in the list.

Searching for 'V The Game' works.

Is it possible to stablish an exception to the three-characters rule for this case? The original, main game name in the DB is 'V', and 'V - The Game' is the 'aka'.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] sorry, but the 3 character minimum stops risk of strain on the database so it needs to stay.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

It could be possible with a new table or indexed view that surfaces a relatively small number of titles to be exact-matched on <3 search terms.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Seven.FFF[/mention] I agree it's possible. We can add to the list.

That won't work for the above though as the title is 'V The Game'. Imagine how many results you would get if you were allowed to search just for 'V'. We are on a relatively small server and need to put these sorts of limitations in place.

I will publish a list of titles with under three characters over the weekend.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

... and another one.

Whenever I search a game that it is also included in a compilation, the results shows first the compilation this game is in, then the original game.

For example, 'Sir Fred' show first a compilation in which it is included. Then the game itself.

Something similar to other searches, i.e. like Pyjamarama or The Muncher.

I think the results should show the original game first, then the compilation.

What do you think?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 amWhenever I search a game that it is also included in a compilation, the results shows first the compilation this game is in, then the original game.
Nope! :)

Whenever you search for "XYZ", then all titles containing string "XYZ" are listed in alphabetic order. It doesn't matter if any of them is a compilation.

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 amFor example, 'Sir Fred' show first a compilation in which it is included. Then the game itself.
For example, there's a title called "La Abadia del Crimen + Sir Fred" and another called "Sir Fred". When you search for "Sir Fred", both titles are listed, in alphabetic order.

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 amSomething similar to other searches, i.e. like Pyjamarama or The Muncher.
Same thing.

Now try searching for "Automania". You will find "Automania", "Pyjamarama + Automania" and "Rugby Manager + Automania", all listed in alphabetic order.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ah, I know. The system considers game titles as equal as compilations, hence the results.

But what I'm trying to say is if the system is able to show requested games with these rules:
1. Games before compilations, then
2. A-Z

I'm doing some searches and it's a bit annoying come across compilations (2 or 3 in some cases) before the desired entry.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pmAh, I know. The system considers game titles as equal as compilations, hence the results.
Kinda.

The system searches for titles. It doesn't make a difference if it's the title of an individual game, utility, compilation, electronic magazine, paper magazine covertape, book, computer, hardware add-on, scene demo, educational program, etc...

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pmBut what I'm trying to say is if the system is able to show requested games with these rules:
1. Games before compilations, then
2. A-Z

I'm doing some searches and it's a bit annoying come across compilations (2 or 3 in some cases) before the desired entry.
What about the other categories I mentioned? What should be done about them?

If someone searches for "LOGO" for instance, it will return dozens of titles from different categories, spread across multiple pages. What's the exact order you propose?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 pm If someone searches for "LOGO" for instance, it will return dozens of titles from different categories, spread across multiple pages. What's the exact order you propose?
If the advanced search had metacategories like Game and Utility, and perhaps also Adventure Game/Arcade Game/etc, would that help, Juan?

The DB structure wouldn't need to change for this, but the UI would need to do slightly more complicated query compositing.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Yes, the advanced search might be a solution.

My problem is I think SC is like Google! :lol:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 pm My problem is I think SC is like Google! :lol:
That would be nice!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention]

As promised I have built a query to show titles of under three characters.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=668

Peter
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Posting in this thread as it mentioned the A-Z bar/strip of software titles being added.

Just wondering when the numbers bar/strip is going to be added. Be it a # or 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

Would the A-Z bar be better placed directly under the Home, Forum, Updates, Releases, Help, Contacts boxes.
Currently, it requires a scroll of the screen to make the A-Z bar/strip visible.

Original: 1920x1050 screen

Mock-up version with replaced A-Z bar: 1920x1050 screen