Announcing our new scoring system

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Announcing our new scoring system

Post by PeterJ »

Over 200 votes already!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Oh, hang on - I voted for about a bunch of games earlier (21 I think), but I'm not sure it picked up most of my votes... :?

I misread the 2 minute thing as relating to voting for the same game twice... Is there any way I can find out which games I successfully voted for?

Is voting for 2 games within 2 minutes really classed as spam voting? I thought it might be nice to have a splurge, but that makes it a bit restrictive.

Also I think if there are going to be restrictions they need to be put on the voting page, there shouldn't be a need for documentation for rating a game IMO...

[Edit: Basically my 'splurge' voting was going through my personal top 20 and rating them all 10]
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

That explains Sqij, EastEnders and Renegade 3's perfect 10's!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

It seems it's possible to vote for never released games.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Morkin[/mention],

Here are your recorded votes:

Thank you for the feedback. I have made the grave mistake of previously changing things immediately based on feedback which landed me in trouble. Can I ask that you let the system bed in (Its only been live for 8 hours). We can review the feedback and make alterations, and add notifications maybe as you suggest.

The worry is (and I appreciate its a low risk), that someone joins the forum and randomly votes for anything and everything. That would of course be sortable by deleting the votes by that user, but its a pain. We can reduce the time gradually.

I'm sure once things have settled in we can make small amends such as reducing the 2 minute check.

PS: Enter the Entry_ID like this:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/580/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

RWAC wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:12 pm It seems it's possible to vote for never released games.
Yes, you can vote for anything. The votes database just looks at entries. If ZXDB has an entry you can vote for it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm Thank you for the feedback. I have made the grave mistake of changing things immediately based on feedback which landed me in trouble. Can I ask that you let the system bed in (Its only been live for 8 hours). We can review the feedback and make alterations, and add notifications maybe as you suggest.

The worry is (and I appreciate its a low risk), that someone joins the forum and randomly votes for anything and everything. That would of course be sortable by deleting the votes by that user, but its a pain. We can reduce the time gradually.

I'm sure once things have settled in we can make small amends.

PS: Enter the Entry_ID like this:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/580/
Cheers Peter. :) Looks like it registered a few at least.

...I didn't twig it wasn't registering my votes, I don't know if it's possible if that happens to have a message after submitting too many saying something like 'you must wait 2 minutes between votes' or whatever.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Looking at those votes it looks like it's one minute, rather than two. I will check with Israel.
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

Ok, 1 minute is a lot, no problem. I have reduced it to 15 seconds.
I think that is enough time to change game and think what score to put. ;)
Let me know if something goes wrong.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Congratulations [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] on 100 votes!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Israel has just produced an excellent ranking page.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/rating.php

The page will over time get themed to match the rest of the site, and we will find a permanent home for it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:08 pm Congratulations @Juan F. Ramirez on 100 votes!
It's my top-100. I voted this way:

Positions 1 - 10: 10 points
11 - 25: 9 points
26 - 50: 8 points
51 - 100: 7 points

It's been a cool evening! :P

Now the rest of games, I'll search by companies, authors, etc and give them 7 or below.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 pm Israel has just produced an excellent ranking page.

The page will over time get themed to match the rest of the site, and we will find a permanent home for it.
Just a suggestion: For example, Knight Lore got an average score of 7.750 points, but in its entry only 7.8 is shown.

7.75 should be the proper number to display. Two decimal positions.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Poor Sqij.
2 votes and a score of 0!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:58 pm Just a suggestion: For example, Knight Lore got an average score of 7.750 points, but in its entry only 7.8 is shown.

7.75 should be the proper number to display. Two decimal positions.
Sorry [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention], but I think one decimal point on the game page is fine for these purposes. I don't want it to get too serious.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 pm Israel has just produced an excellent ranking page.

i see it is for any entry as well, this can be confusing if different types have the same name, eg Chaos
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:19 pm i see it is for any entry as well, this can be confusing if different types have the same name, eg Chaos
Thanks for the feedback. The entry ID is in the table too. Eventually we could hyperlink back to the game page.
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Lethargeek wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:19 pm i see it is for any entry as well, this can be confusing if different types have the same name, eg Chaos
Thanks for the feedback. The entry ID is in the table too. Eventually we could hyperlink back to the game page.
I have added the link to the game on the web.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice work fellas.

I'm scared to place my first vote, as it sets my precedent. Do I go straight in and give Manic Miner a 10 or a 9? If I give it a 9, can I ever give anything a 10? Argh!
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:17 am Nice work fellas.

I'm scared to place my first vote, as it sets my precedent. Do I go straight in and give Manic Miner a 10 or a 9? If I give it a 9, can I ever give anything a 10? Argh!
Clearly, you should give MM score 9. 10 is reserved for Target Renegade and Tetris 2 only.
On serious note, I realized I gave score in ranges 6-10 and 4-3 so far. There is reason why some voting system use scale of 0-5, the bigger scale can be little daunting :)
Proud owner of Didaktik M
+3code

Post by +3code »

Only a minor question. Can I see a list of what I have voted?
+3code

Post by +3code »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:17 am Nice work fellas.

Haha, I'm making the same but with Turrican :lol:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Nice work everyone. 8-)

it's nice to see modern games dotted around the table. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm It's my top-100. I voted this way:

Positions 1 - 10: 10 points
11 - 25: 9 points
26 - 50: 8 points
51 - 100: 7 points
I was wondering whether to do something similar, but there's no way I could give any of the games in my personal top 100 games list less than an 8...! Will have a think...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

+3code wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:41 am Only a minor question. Can I see a list of what I have voted?
Hi [mention]+3code[/mention]

For now I can PM you that if you wish. Publishing everyone's votes publicly is straightforward, I just need to make sure everyone is happy with it. Will discuss again once the system has bedded in fully and we have resolved any further bugs that may come up.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Am I the only one who rather enjoys refreshing the results page every 30 seconds to see the rankings change! I need to get out more .....