Improved handling of displaying new posts

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Improved handling of displaying new posts

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I noticed that when I click a thread, it opens the first page and displays the first post on it. It would be much more convenient, if instead it would jump straight to the first unread post in that thread.

I normally go to Quick links -> New posts. Then click the threads I’m interested in. Unfortunately, every time I do, I get thrown back at the very beginning of each thread.

On a related note, it would be great to have the Mark forum read feature visible on every page. That way, it wouldn’t be necessary to return to the home page to execute that command. You could just do it in the last thread you’ve viewed.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Improved handling of displaying new posts

Post by MatGubbins »

Yup, was thinking the same thing. There is a little red arrow on the right of the new postings that jumps to the latest page / post.
It would be great to see the person that made that posting too.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I agree this should be there.

We'll make a list and sort them when we can.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

You can set the post ordering on your personal settings.
If you choose date » descending, you get newest first.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

4thRock wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 am You can set the post ordering on your personal settings.
If you choose date » descending, you get newest first.
Of course, but that’s a lousy workaround. In English, we read left to right, top to bottom; replies appear below the original post; the timeline extends downward. Besides, that still will only show the newest post; it won’t start me off with the first one I haven’t read.

Speaking of conventions and processing information, could we move the avatars to the left? (Even if only via a personal board setting.) I’d rather see who’s posting before I read the post.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

OK, I have moved recent topics to the top of the page. On the right hand side of the block there is a little icon to the right of the username who posted last. Click that and it takes you to the latest post.

There is no more configuration available. I hope that solves the problem?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm I hope that solves the problem?
Nope. It’s a little odd that there are no more configurable options. Virtually all forums that I know of take you to the first unread post in any thread. Simply having a link to the latest post is, well, virtually meaningless. You could always click the last page manually and then scroll down.

How I normally navigate read forums:

1. Click Show New Posts (or equivalent). If it’s a permanent link, it usually pops up as the first browser suggestion after a while anyway.
2. Command-click each thread I’m interested in to open it in a new tab behind the current one. This automatically opens to the first unread post in any thread.
3. Close each tab as I read through the threads.
4. Click Mark All Read (or equivalent). Usually displayed at the top of every forum page.

Here, I can only do 1 and kind of 2. Then I have to hunt around and remember which was the last post I read. To mark all forums as read, I have to go back to the main page.

Are you sure that’s all we’ve got in terms of options? Have you tried staring menacingly at the forum’s software? Giving it a good talking to? Writing a very stiff letter to the local MP?

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi, If you find a phpBB hosted site with those features let me know and I will ask them what extension they are using.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Will keep it in mind, Peter!

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Oh, speaking of which:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2164763

Looks like a known issue with no obvious solution:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2397221

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Okay, hikoki provides this link, which explains the intended behavior: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14760126

It’s still a half-backed solution, unfortunately, because it doesn’t work for threads with no new posts. For example, to make this post I had to find this thread, and the only way to take you to the last post is to click that tiny arrow on the right. It’s an awfully small target. Pretty frustrating that while people behind pdpBB are, I’m sure, good programmers, they are abysmal at GUI design and have never heard of Fitts’ law.

Oh, well.