JSSpeccy on-line emulator ready for testing

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: JSSpeccy on-line emulator ready for testing

Post by Seven.FFF »

Gandalf works in 128K mode. Not sure why it doesn't in 48K mode, as that tap definitely does in other emulators. NIRVANA and NIRVANA+ autoadjusts for 48/128K timings, so you should be ok to force every NIRVANA game to 128K.

http://torinak.com/qaop#128#l=https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/taps/Gandalf%201_03.tap
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Great!!!

Maybe a search option can be added to the 'advanced search' to browse for games that can be played in the online emulator?

Can an online preview be added similar to the RZX Youtube still? I scrolled over the contents of Apulija various times trying to find the online links.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Stefan[/mention] I'm glad you like it. [mention]pavero[/mention] did a great job. When we press the go live button (Its a big red button on my desk!) all titles on the database which have a .tap file or one of the other supported formats will be listed. So this will include 100s of titles. I agree it would be nice to have a 'Advanced Search' or similar (we can add it to the long list).

Games will always be playable from the 'Play-Online' panel if it's available.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Do you know this javascript emulator? Scroll the page down to read in english.
https://github.com/XMypuK/zx-dream
Perhaps JSSpeccy's author can find its source useful to run Eastern software. Besides it has a virtual keyboard.
It does not seem to work on ios devices though.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]hikoki[/mention] this looks promising, but does not seem to have been touched for five years. It seems impossible to find something that ticks all the boxes that we can install locally. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention though.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm @hikoki this looks promising, but does not seem to have been touched for five years. It seems impossible to find something that ticks all the boxes that we can install locally. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention though.
Ah, no problem. The point is that this javascript emu seems to support russian emulators, trd, etc so it may be useful for the author of JSSpeccy.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I believe we have [mention]gasman[/mention] on the forum!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

hikoki wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:30 pm
PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm @hikoki this looks promising, but does not seem to have been touched for five years. It seems impossible to find something that ticks all the boxes that we can install locally. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention though.
Ah, no problem. The point is that this javascript emu seems to support russian emulators, trd, etc so it may be useful for the author of JSSpeccy.
Good point. We may end up using more than one.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Seven.FFF wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:33 pm I believe we have @gasman on the forum!
Thanks, we have spoken briefly via Twitter.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

It would be fantastic to have something like EmuzWin's Netplay to play multiplayer games online. Maybe something based on P2P to avoid the hassle of dealing with IPs. I don't know..maybe a sort of chat room that hosts the game and synchronise players.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

What about jspeccy java emulator by José Luis Sánchez?
http://jspeccy.speccy.org/
https://github.com/jsanchezv/JSpeccy

It's one of the best and most accurate emulators I've seen, I suppose it can be used online?
José is a member here (zx81) and maybe he can help...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Pegaz[/mention] thanks for this, but it looks like it's based on Java rather than JavaScript so not really suitable for modern browsers.

Changing the subject, are you linked to Fire and Ice? It's a top game! When I joined WoS in 2004 (I know I don't look that old) it was to ask how to load .TRD files so I could play it.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:15 pm @Pegaz thanks for this, but it looks like it's based on Java rather than JavaScript so not really suitable for modern browsers.

Changing the subject, are you linked to Fire and Ice? It's a top game! When I joined WoS in 2004 (I know I don't look that old) it was to ask how to load .TRD files so I could play it.
I wasnt linked as part of the team, but I was a big fan from the beginning and its title screen has become my first and only Spectrum related avatar through all these years. :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Does anyone speak Russian here?

Going through my Spectrum bookmarks I found this Russian site which uses its own Javascript emulator which looks rather nice. It looks like they have a forum so if any Russian speakers could ask if they would be willing to share their code that would be great.

http://viva-games.ru/novosti-sajta/novy ... x-spectrum

http://viva-games.ru/game/baby-monkey-alba

http://viva-games.ru/game/crystal-kingd ... 17-edition
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

My Russian is a little rusty these days, but it seems that the emulator was made for this website needs and isnt publicly available.
However, it would be good if a Russian native speaker asks for permission to use this emulator on the SC, because its really good.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The emulator seems to load TZX files in real time only: http://viva-games.ru/game/firefly. This kind of defeats the purpose of having it on SC or any other site, which hosts perfect tape replicas.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Another emulator is JBacteria.

Qaop java applet is opensource. See Qaop128 on Sourceforge, it's a fork to allow 128K. Could be easily rewritten as Java Web Start as explained here : https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/deploy ... s-jnlp.htm
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]hikoki[/mention] but we don't want to use Java. I did try JBacteria but again no virtual keyboard that I could see.

There seems to be no perfect solution. I'm wondering if we bother with an online emulator for now
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention] you are quite right. Most of these emulators seem to need .tap files. We could only offer it when we have these available.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm Thanks @hikoki but we don't want to use Java. I did try JBacteria but again no virtual keyboard that I could see.

There seems to be no perfect solution. I'm wondering if we bother with an online emulator for now
Antonio Villena is a SC member and author of JBacteria. You could ask him if he's interested in adding ne features.

Well it's a pity that you don't want to try Qaop128. Its author was very kind to implement drag and drop last year upon my request. I could ask him to make the conversion to java Web Start as I'd like to provide it on my site. Java has advantages over Javascript as you are using OS resources not just web browser resources. It works fine on all kind of low spec PCs so it'd be nice to provide links to play with different emulators based on javascript but also on java like this one.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pmThere seems to be no perfect solution. I'm wondering if we bother with an online emulator for now
IMHO an online emulator that only works on desktop is still better than no online emulator!

Also you can also replace online emulator later, when you find something better. Or offer multiple choices for online emulation, so each user can click on the emulator choice more suitable for their system.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]hikoki[/mention] the problem is that many browsers including Chrome block Java by default.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:50 pm @hikoki the problem is that many browsers including Chrome block Java by default.
Are you sure? I thought only applets were blocked, not "Java web start"

Edit:

Something to investigate https://stackoverflow.com/questions/429 ... me-browser
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]hikoki[/mention] I'm no expert these things, but looking at your link and others you still have to do some configuration in Chrome and Firefox. JavaScript seems to be the modern way of doing things.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:02 pm @hikoki I'm no expert these things, but looking at your link and others you still have to do some configuration in Chrome and Firefox. JavaScript seems to be the modern way of doing things.
Fine, you mean I'm getting older :) this play online thing is only for new PCs

BTW are virtual keyboard really important for you? they are quite unusable in my experience. I wonder if this minigamepad will work with javascript emulators.
https://youtu.be/poXFOpEMVfE