Website Update 24 February 2018

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Website Update 24 February 2018

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks to [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] and [mention]R-Tape[/mention] for the latest update of ZXDB. This has now been installed on our site. Thanks also to all the other contributors involved to this update.

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] has provided details of the latest update:

Dave

New entries
Some unlisted (thanks speccy21) Bezerk2016, Royal Game of UR, Juggle
Invasores Aquaticos 1 and 2
Perfect Timer by Cosmin Parligras
Fantasy Zone - Escape from the Pyramid by Antonio Perez
Some of Jim Grimwood's unlisted - Newtype, Games Index, Hex Tools
Fagor and Megamind by Martin Ward
How to write Spectrum Games and the 'Milk no Sugar' demo by Jonathan Cauldwell

New files
Fixes and updates
6 million screenshots and files post 2013
113 missing text files from classic and new games(thanks Pav)
Permission from APSIS - Godkiller and Harbinger series now available
Permission from Retrobytes - Tales of Grupp, FistRO Fighter etc now available
Permission from Sanchez - Castlevania added
Permission from Andy Ford et al - Jet Set 40/40 and many other mods now available
Permission from Jonathan Cauldwell - his games now available, plus the post 2013 ones
Egghead replaced with the correct, non cracked version, with apologies to Claire Tucker

Apologies
None, unless we forgot to mention you!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Website Update 24 February 2018

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

First of all, thanks for the update.

When you say '113 missing text files from classic and new games', what do you mean? What's a text file?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

When you say '113 missing text files from classic and new games', what do you mean? What's a text file?
Instructions, I suppose.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 pm First of all, thanks for the update.

Yep, instructions. Pav kindly provided loads of missing .txt instructions for numerous games he's been building up in this WoS thread.

I'm particularly proud to have provided Taffy Turner's, so now you can play this psychadelic weird fest and have a rough idea of what to do :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ah, I know. Thanks.

Would it be possible in next updates specify which files have been updated? In the old WoS there was a list of detailed things updated (instructions, inlays, mag issues, whatever...) in the 'what's new?' section.

I mean, if any DB entry is modify (for instance, if a new instructions file of Hypersports is added) it must be specify in a 'update' or 'what's new' section.

No need to do this in Pavero's files as it's specified in the WoS thread he started.

But I think we need to know every modification in the DB. What do you think?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I remember Martjin's lists :-)

It's already a lot if work just to do the update (and then fix what's gone wrong!). We'll need to think about what we can realistically sustain here, but I agree more info is needed. It will be easier when the backlog is cleared and updates are smaller.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I agree with [mention]R-Tape[/mention] that whilst it would be nice, we need to be realistic as to what we can do in our time available.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I totally understand it, mates. Making a list of, say, more than 100 files would be hard and slow down your work. Maybe it's possible when the updates consists of only a few files each time, for instance.

Anyway, the result is great. Keep up the good work! :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 pmWould it be possible in next updates specify which files have been updated? In the old WoS there was a list of detailed things updated (instructions, inlays, mag issues, whatever...) in the 'what's new?' section.

I mean, if any DB entry is modify (for instance, if a new instructions file of Hypersports is added) it must be specify in a 'update' or 'what's new' section.

No need to do this in Pavero's files as it's specified in the WoS thread he started.

But I think we need to know every modification in the DB. What do you think?
This last update contained literally over 200 new files, over 300 new links to Mobygames, over 100 new links to files and videos at RZX Archive, almost 100 new credits to cover artists, and more. Frankly we are talking about almost a thousand individual changes on this update alone.

Although I agree it would be nice to have a more detailed description of every ZXDB update, I'm afraid it's simply not practical.

If you really need to know absolutely every modification in ZXDB, your best choice is to download our package of incremental files, then use a "diff" tool to compare them with the previous version. That's basically how Thomas (from ZX Info) and Helga (from ZX-Pokemaster and TOSEC) keep track of every detail about our changes.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Just to add though, IMO the SC UPDATE tab on the home page isn't representative and our previous site update posts could have been more detailed, so we will give more info in future - especially if anything changes with Raid over Moscow.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Haha, thanks!

And don't forget Fred too! :D
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pmJust to add though, IMO the SC UPDATE tab on the home page isn't representative and our previous site update posts could have been more detailed, so we will give more info in future
Good point.

I should have mentioned that we are already making an effort to provide more detailed descriptions of our update contents. The last couple update announcements were already more detailed than all previous ones.

I was just explaining the reason it's not practical to post here about every single modification in ZXDB, that's all.