Sub forums for the Programming section

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Sub forums for the Programming section

Post by bob_fossil »

Would it be possible to have some sub forums / sections here? Maybe something like:

ZX Basic / Compiled Basic
z88dk
Assembly

Might make things clearer rather than having everything in one catch all section?

Thanks,

bob_fossil
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Sub forums for the Programming section

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I, for one, would be happy if the section would be called Assembly, rather than Assembler. BASIC-wise—not sure how I’d prefer it. The Spectrum dialect is called Sinclair BASIC, but I understand there are quite a few popular complied BASICs that people use nowadays. Just BASIC, perhaps?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm sure we can look at this one and sort it.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 pm I'm sure we can look at this one and sort it.
Good stuff!

bob_fossil
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

On a related note, where would I be posting things about SpecBAS, should there be anything to post in the near future? Are we religiously Spectrum-only, or are Spectrum-related themes Ok?
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

I'd suggest to maybe do this later as needed when there are more topics. Personally I quite like the current clear and concise look of the forums, uncluttered by a hundred million unused sections.
Inactive account
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

I agree with Hikaru, rather than create lots of (potentially/initially barren) groups up-front, create a new sub-group when the discussion traffic warrants it (e.g. active discussions). That's assuming PHPBB makes it easy enough to move threads to a new group. Let the groups, and the community, grow organically.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

OK. I agree we will hold fire on extra sub forums until the forums start to grow. It's pretty straightforward to move posts around in the forum software once needed.

We will add the extra sub forums as soon as needed.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 am On a related note, where would I be posting things about SpecBAS, should there be anything to post in the near future? Are we religiously Spectrum-only, or are Spectrum-related themes Ok?
Broad Sinclair related is fine. I would place SpecBAS in the development forum for now. When it's time for a separate BASIC forum we can move it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Wait and see sounds good to me too (bearing in mind we don't have a single post there yet!)

My preference is just to have 'Programming' though, I've always found it easy enough to find the threads needed, there is often a lot of crossover anyway, and it caters for weirdo fringe stuff like Specbas.
ZXDunny wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 am On a related note, where would I be posting things about SpecBAS, should there be anything to post in the near future? Are we religiously Spectrum-only, or are Spectrum-related themes Ok?
I think broad is good, so SpecBAS, NEXT, ZX81 should be included IMO.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 pmweirdo fringe stuff like Specbas.
I beg your pardon?? :D