Improved Download Section

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Re: Improved Download Section

Post by 4thRock »

I'm to blame for the icon selection... and I do like that tape!
Reminds me of some game tapes I had back in the day.
And since I used a Walkman to load tapes, it's the right way up :lol:

Seriously, I'm never too attached to any specific graphic or layout on the web. So the icons will eventually change, no problem there!

About zooming on images: On the downloads listing the images are there for preview. They are replacing the icons.
But I get the point and perhaps we should have a slideshow section to display and zoom on images.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I like all those icons. They help to quickly recognize all the stuff.
Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm Looks much better now, for sure.
You’ll want to prioritize TZXs over TAPs, though. Currently, they seem to be sorted alphabetically, but since a TZX is an exact (more or less) replica of the original tape, it should take precedence over other formats.
Agree. And the original release over the re-release versions.

The same to 'aditional file downloads' (1st, original release, 2nd, re-releases). And in this section, it'd be better displayed in some sort of order: 1 Inlays, 2 Instructions, 3 Adverts, ...

Just my opinion!
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

All the bytes would fall out of the bottom if you turned the tape upside down.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Seven.FFF wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:04 pm All the bytes would fall out of the bottom if you turned the tape upside down.
Don’t be silly. A responsible owner always puts the tape back in its case after use. And it’s trivial to pour any stray bytes back into the cassette.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Mmm. Can’t download Gandalf for some reason.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Weird. Just worked fine for me. Can you download other games?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just tried too [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention] and it seems fine with me. Odd.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Yeah, it’s weird. I tried a few other random titles. All work okay. Will try with another browser.

EDIT: Okay, false alarm (well, for you). Tried it on the phone and it worked. Totally bizarre. Sorry for the trouble.
EDIT #2: Cleared some browser caches is all is working now. :shock: I should’ve never upgraded to this fancy new “personal” computer. The Spectrum has always worked fine for me. No cookies, no incriminating browser history, no caches . . .

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm EDIT #2: Cleared some browser caches is all is working now. :shock: I should’ve never upgraded to this fancy new “personal” computer. The Spectrum has always worked fine for me. No cookies, no incriminating browser history, no caches . . .
*dons tin foil hat *
Call me paranoid but I always suspected after what Google did with the Candid data set they would be doing a similar thing with the incognito browsing setting - sure everything you do in this window is no trace.. trust us... we wont tell :lol: Assuming its not a google browser, would Apple or Microsoft have any more scruples? :?

I was always shocked just how much you can find out about a person just by looking at the cookies on a PC, I think even normies would be very surprised how completely a combination of browsing history + cookies can type a person. Even if someone is the definition of milk-toast just the level of insight that can be gained is frighting - Even if "they" are just using this data to sell widgets to the end user I can't help but think of the potential for abuse.

*remove tin foil hat - queen of diamonds*

everything is fine.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Nomad wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 pm Assuming its not a google browser, would Apple or Microsoft have any more scruples?
Don’t think so. Apple might have a slight edge, as its main business is selling hardware (at least publicly). Google just outright sells you to the highest bidder. I try to avoid Google products as much as I can, but still use Gmail (via an email client only; never through via a browser) and, alas, You Too, Brutus. And, of course, I use various anti-tracking, ad-blocking browser extensions. Still, it’s an arms race.

Anyway, we got off-topic. The topic is, of course:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJIQm9qH-w[/media]