Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I notice some people's avatars and picture links that previously worked have gone dead.

(Shame because @Ersh had a really cool one).

Is this GDPR related?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Avatars and image links?

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Yeah, I can’t see Einar’s.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

I see Einar's avatar which is on tinypic.
If you mean postimage links, images are still there so can be recovered just replacing .org by .cc
There is a couple of posts on this thread to get them fixed https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2467956
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

They're all working again now, including picture links. A temporary perturbance of the chuntey field I guess.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm A temporary perturbance of the chuntey field I guess.
The mighty chuntey field will be with us forever.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm The mighty chuntey field will be with us forever.
I thought it would be far too niche, but I'm pleased to see it in the Urban Dictionary.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I love it when a problem fixes itself!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I thought it would be far too niche, but I'm pleased to see it in the Urban Dictionary.
Could somebody explain to me (being not native English speaker) the rest of story behind it?

Coined in the late 90s by a poster on comp.sys.sinclair, who mis-typed "chutney" - the word was then adopted by a fellow poster to describe the phenomenon above.

Google shows me that chutney is some kind of Indian sauce. What were they talking about that one guy was talking about sauce and second guy reinterpreted it as "aura" around Spectrum? :?:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm The mighty chuntey field will be with us forever.
I’m surprised it hasn’t made it into the Oxford Dictionary.

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm I love it when a problem fixes itself!
I was talking about posts like this
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=275&p=8681#p8680
Ce n'est pas grave 8-)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

hikoki wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:47 pm
PeterJ wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm I love it when a problem fixes itself!
I was talking about posts like this
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=275&p=8681#p8680
Ce n'est pas grave 8-)
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/postimg.org

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:37 pm Google shows me that chutney is some kind of Indian sauce. What were they talking about that one guy was talking about sauce and second guy reinterpreted it as "aura" around Spectrum? :?:
Chutney in this context is a pickle, used mainly in sandwiches and with cheese. Branston is probably the best known brand.

I'm afraid the CSS folklore only gives slightly more detail and doesn't answer your question. Paul Haine mispelled chutney as chuntey, and Llama Wax Len declared it as the Speccy's loading aura.

[mention]Guesser[/mention] may be able to shed some light on the original sentence that gave birth to this wellspring of inpenetrable banter. Though I suspect that if you want something to make sense then the jocular repartee of CSS is not the place to start!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

tinypic.com had some downtime earlier today, seems to work fine now. :)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Postimage.org and vgy.me images have also stopped displaying properly, as in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=310

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=721
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

...and tinypic is down again.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm Chutney in this context is a pickle, used mainly in sandwiches and with cheese. Branston is probably the best known brand.
Pickle is pickle shirley. Chutney is chutney...

That said, I do enjoy a bit of mango chutney on a cold roast pork sandwich :lol:
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm @Guesser may be able to shed some light on the original sentence that gave birth to this wellspring of inpenetrable banter. Though I suspect that if you want something to make sense then the jocular repartee of CSS is not the place to start!
It's before my time, and the google groups archive doesn't search back far enough.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Guesser wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:04 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm @Guesser may be able to shed some light on the original sentence that gave birth to this wellspring of inpenetrable banter. Though I suspect that if you want something to make sense then the jocular repartee of CSS is not the place to start!
It's before my time, and the google groups archive doesn't search back far enough.
I think it was an entirely unrelated comment misspelling that segued into what "chuntey" might be. Which was the way of things on CSS 99% of the time.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:46 pm Pickle is pickle shirley. Chutney is chutney...

That said, I do enjoy a bit of mango chutney on a cold roast pork sandwich :lol:
I think most would call "pickle" pickle or chutney, but never call "chutney" pickle. Wouldn't they? :o

Either way I'm too long in the tooth to start calling it Branston Chutney.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm Either way I'm too long in the tooth to start calling it Branston Chutney.
So why did you even mention it when it's clearly pickle? :P
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

AndyC wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:07 pm Which was the way of things on CSS 99% of the time.
R-Tape and I are trying our best to institute the same system here, but you're dragging the percentage down with your sensible comment :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 pm
R-Tape wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm Either way I'm too long in the tooth to start calling it Branston Chutney.
So why did you even mention it when it's clearly pickle? :P
Argh, look, it's complicated - pickle means chutney really, but nobody calls it chutney.

At least things are nice and clear for Ralf now...
Guesser wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:06 pm R-Tape and I are trying our best to institute the same system here, but you're dragging the percentage down with your sensible comment :lol:
What does he know? He can't even spell "segway" properly.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:29 pm What does he know? He can't even spell "segway" properly.
Your spelling is also wrong. It must be capitalized and have a ™ appended to the end. Ha! Gotcha! Now you’re in a pickle . . . or chutney . . . Whatever. Look, a squirrel!

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Jam and banana for me.

In white bread of course :mrgreen:
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.