Forum posts: grammar and punctuation

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Forum posts: grammar and punctuation

Post by Joefish »

It's not so much punctuation as completely wrong words that get on my nerves - people writing "I should of done that" instead of "I should have done that". It's the result of a chain of people only half-listening and repeating others without ever paying attention to reading or writing in English. And then there's the ones who think "specifically" has a silent 's'! :x

Anyway, good punctuation is the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

'I was like basically going to just say that'!!!! People who use 'like' and 'basically' as filler words are just morons. People who also use 'literally' to pad out sentences are vapid cretins.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm ;
"The semicolon or semi colon is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence elements. A semicolon can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction"

I beg your pardon?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Spud wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm ;
"The semicolon or semi colon is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence elements. A semicolon can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction"

I beg your pardon?
I’d use a butt-spice myself... :mrgreen:
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 pm
Spud wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm "The semicolon or semi colon is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence elements. A semicolon can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction"

I beg your pardon?
I’d use a butt-spice myself... :mrgreen:
Baby, Sporty, Posh, Scary and Ginger... I don't recall a butt-spice.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spud wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm "The semicolon or semi colon is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence elements. A semicolon can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction"
Argh! Sentences like that make my head fall apart! As I say, I'm sure we never did this at school. Bristol University has a good guide, although it does contain sentences redolent of the above.

When not used in a complicated list*, it seems that the semicolon is basically a weak full stop masquerading as a strong comma. I keep seeing opportunities to use it, but it's usually an option, and you risk looking like a smartarse if you so choose to take it—it's a nightmare!
MatGubbins wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 pm Baby, Sporty, Posh, Scary and Ginger... I don't recall a butt-spice.
*Baby Spice: cutesy, pigtailed and blatantly a Tasmanian devil between the sheets; Sporty Spice: tracksuits, twokking and elecution; Posh Spice: budgie breeder, businesswoman and footballer's wife; Scary Spice: terrifying 'Bo Selecta' deathmask, giant hair and creator of Kat Trap; Ginger Spice: intergalactic peace envoy, yogic flyer and former Club International model.

Butt-spice is professional cyclists' slang for a caffeine suppository.

The above may be peppered with mendacity, but it's helping me learn to use the semicolon.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

My god...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

"coordinating conjunction" means and/or/but/so etc. So if you have an 'and' then there's no place for a semicolon. e.g.

"You're on a donkey and I'm on a horse".
or:
"You're on a donkey; I'm on a horse".

The sentence has two clauses, firstly that you're on a donkey and secondly that I'm on a horse. The two are closely related so are worth mentioning in the same sentence, but they're independent; one fact doesn't rely on the other. I could be on a horse regardless of what you're doing.
Now I could join them with a simple conjunction ("and") but f*ck it, I'm using a semi-colon.