New Game - Lambs To The Slaughter

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
sludge
Dizzy

Re: New Game - Lambs To The Slaughter

Post by sludge »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:17 am
I've not played the game from the OP post they do great graphics though and I would like to collab in the future at some point (unless I'm too old and dead by then lol). Need to perfect my engine of course and all this drinking and playing speccy games instead of coding does not help lol ;) I think a boulder dash game with those sort of graphics and a decent engine would be good anyway.
Sounds good.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Just played it through with snapshots (sue me! I'm making a map). I'm glad there's a pause button because some of the levels I have to take a moment to breathe in the graphics before getting trapped by a critter. I especially loved the yellow eyed background dudes on level 10. This is the only game I can think of where you only lose energy when you push into other sprites. So you almost feel like you're wrestling as you run around trying to avoid getting hemmed in. Part of me wonders what davey would come up with if he used AGD, but I think we'd miss original features like that.

I wouldn't call @Lee Bee's AY music a 'minor contribution'! It's frantic, funny and inventive - really helps the game along.

I wouldn't call it lighthearted either - the inlay and MO of the game are quite cutting. That's no bad thing - the speccy has a history of games making a point. Not saying that absolutely any topic is fair game, but generally you don't have to agree with the point it's making to appreciate it.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Timmy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:34 am Lots of old games were about politics, like Manic Miner, for example. We never had any problems with all of them.
To my memory, things never seemed so "heavy" back in the 80s. Folks could argue, poke fun of each other's beliefs, make inappropriate comments, and the British public had a gentleness, reasonableness, and good humour about it all. No extreme reaction, no hatred. A few "Christians" might write letters of disapproval, while a few angry young men might kick off about something, mostly just a bit of macho excitement, but to my mind there wasn't this spirit of personal loathing and intolerance for those with different views. Even the way politicians speak to one another these days saddens me - always attacking their opponents with hostility, instead of respect and dignity, and an openness to hear alternative views and learn from it.
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:17 am Satire is fine, but you have to tread carefully especially if it involved a lot of death I think.
That's spot-on. That's what happened in this case, whereas for Manic Miner, which has since been mentioned, death wasn't involved, in the Miners' Strike.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:45 pm To my memory, things never seemed so "heavy" back in the 80s. Folks could argue, poke fun of each other's beliefs, make inappropriate comments, and the British public had a gentleness, reasonableness, and good humour about it all. No extreme reaction, no hatred. A few "Christians" might write letters of disapproval, while a few angry young men might kick off about something, mostly just a bit of macho excitement, but to my mind there wasn't this spirit of personal loathing and intolerance for those with different views. Even the way politicians speak to one another these days saddens me - always attacking their opponents with hostility, instead of respect and dignity, and an openness to hear alternative views and learn from it.
I, uh, remember the miner's strike as being pretty "heavy", actually :shock:
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

DVDfever wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:58 pm That's spot-on. That's what happened in this case, whereas for Manic Miner, which has since been mentioned, death wasn't involved, in the Miners' Strike.
Monty Mole, not Manic Miner, was the game related to the miners' strike.
flange
Dizzy

Post by flange »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:45 pm To my memory, things never seemed so "heavy" back in the 80s. Folks could argue, poke fun of each other's beliefs, make inappropriate comments, and the British public had a gentleness, reasonableness, and good humour about it all. No extreme reaction, no hatred. A few "Christians" might write letters of disapproval, while a few angry young men might kick off about something, mostly just a bit of macho excitement, but to my mind there wasn't this spirit of personal loathing and intolerance for those with different views. Even the way politicians speak to one another these days saddens me - always attacking their opponents with hostility, instead of respect and dignity, and an openness to hear alternative views and learn from it.
I think some of todays vitriol may down to the fact that it can be done at arms length via a keyboard rather than face to face thus safer in the knowledge than you won't get your head kicked in. The self loathing and intolerance I totally agree with.