O-EYES

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
oblo
Drutt

O-EYES

Post by oblo »

Hi all

I've just finished my last game: O-EYES, a ZX Spectrum port of the arcade game EYES. Don't know why but I like it to play some quick rounds, so I decided to make this version. Oh, and as you can see, I've used the ol' and cheap trick to print in the inlay an arcade screenshot, instead of an actual Spectrum screenshot ;)

Image Image

You can download O-EYES from this link and it contains:

- TZX with the playable version 1.0 of the game
- Source code (Boriel's ZX Basic .bor files)
- Cassette inlay
- Readme.txt

As always, all comments are welcome and hope you enjoy it :)
Cheers.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: O-EYES

Post by PeterJ »

I look forward to playing this later tonight. Thank you for including the source code as well.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Very nice little arcade game. I hadn't heard of 'Eyes' before; playing it reminds me a bit of Dingo. Your version is good fun. It seems rock-hard at first, but it doesn't take long before you're running rings around the eyes. It'd be interesting to see a version with smooth sprites.

Ta for the game.

(For anyone not familiar: keys SXKL-M, shoot all the collectables in the maze, you can shoot the baddies but they reappear.)
oblo
Drutt

Post by oblo »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 am Very nice little arcade game. I hadn't heard of 'Eyes' before; playing it reminds me a bit of Dingo. Your version is good fun. It seems rock-hard at first, but it doesn't take long before you're running rings around the eyes. It'd be interesting to see a version with smooth sprites.

Ta for the game.

(For anyone not familiar: keys SXKL-M, shoot all the collectables in the maze, you can shoot the baddies but they reappear.)
I'm glad you enjoy it al least a bit :) And I really like to make a version with smooth movement (perhaps by 2 pixels) and better collision detection, but after looking some engines for ZX Basic, I could't find one easy to use and/or well documented (at least for basic "programmers" like me) If you know any., please let me know and I'll give it a try :)

BTW, joystick sinclair and kempston are supported too ;)
Cheers.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

oblo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pmAnd I really like to make a version with smooth movement (perhaps by 2 pixels) and better collision detection, but after looking some engines for ZX Basic, I could't find one easy to use and/or well documented (at least for basic "programmers" like me) If you know any., please let me know and I'll give it a try :)
You may want to consider NIRVANA+. It provides 2 pixels movement, it can be used with Boriel's ZX Basic, and it would allow you to improve graphics using multicolor.

Take a look at the source code here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=30002

Admittedly there isn't a very detailed documentation, but the concepts are very similar to BIFROST that's fully documented here:

https://www.ime.usp.br/~einar/bifrost/
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Looking forward to play your games soon, Oblo.
Besides FASE and NIRVANA+ engines you could take a look at joefish's CharAde : https://sites.google.com/site/plus3code ... muy-torpes
oblo
Drutt

Post by oblo »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:19 pm
oblo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pmAnd I really like to make a version with smooth movement (perhaps by 2 pixels) and better collision detection, but after looking some engines for ZX Basic, I could't find one easy to use and/or well documented (at least for basic "programmers" like me) If you know any., please let me know and I'll give it a try :)
You may want to consider NIRVANA+. It provides 2 pixels movement, it can be used with Boriel's ZX Basic, and it would allow you to improve graphics using multicolor.

Take a look at the source code here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=30002

Admittedly there isn't a very detailed documentation, but the concepts are very similar to BIFROST that's fully documented here:

https://www.ime.usp.br/~einar/bifrost/
Thanks Einar, I knew Buzzsaw but I didn't know the .btile format. Nirvana+ downloaded and testing it right now :)
Cheers.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hola Oblo, I didn't know about Eyes too, but I think you made a nice maze-shoot game. The coin-op-like presentation in particular is a welcome feature. The action is more hectic than it would seem at first sight, those enemies are really merciless!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

I've played a bit. Fun game!
Sometimes eyes spawned at my position. Multicoloured iris might be fun to know when baddies are going to shoot.

Edit:

Looks like the original game gets tricky after some levels :)
Spoiler
Now I get why thet respawned on the same spot as me which makes shooting more interesting