Woot! ZXMAS Tape Magazine 2018

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Woot! ZXMAS Tape Magazine 2018

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm Cracked a few brain cells on Your Crackers M'Lord and solved all 32 puzzles, those jokes are ha-ha funny!
[Mention]bobfossil[/mention] , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm Cracked a few brain cells on Your Crackers M'Lord and solved all 32 puzzles, those jokes are ha-ha funny!
I've been expecting you, Mr Gubbins. I'm glad you found the jokes amusing :).

I had to trawl through quite a few 'top worst Christmas cracker jokes' lists to find them. Oh my aching sides!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm @bobfossil , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
Once you get the hang of it, most of the levels aren't too bad. The last two pantries are utter gitbags though as the last two levels in the original game were taken from expert mode. The rest are taken from normal mode.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm @bobfossil , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
Once you get the hang of it, most of the levels aren't too bad. The last two pantries are utter gitbags though as the last two levels in the original game were taken from expert mode. The rest are taken from normal mode.

Yes, the last two were, as you said, utter gitbags, that required a lot of shuffling, reshuffling and a little swearing. Damn good game though! Going by the saved game file times, about an hour and 10 minutes for all the levels. Sorry Dave, you're gonna be broke by the end of the week... hang on it's Friday!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I've played through the final version of Bean Brothers to refresh my distant (and very hazy) memory of the long hot month of July for bug testing the later versions of the game. There are some bugs and strange features that were reported that remain within the final version game, this is due to AGD being an utter gitbag, memory hog and the compiler crashing when it is looked at in a certain way.
So, don't try and jump through walls on certain levels, be careful of locking the characters within doors and don't feed Dave after midnight or he'll ride his A-bike over your toes and it'll bloody hurt for weeks!

It's a great game and has a lot of excellent puzzles to solve, with some levels requiring some split second timing plus a few double switch jumping. Along with the excellent graphics and AY music we have a game that tests the noodle. And it's free!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 am I've played through the final version of Bean Brothers to refresh my distant (and very hazy) memory of the long hot month of July for bug testing the later versions of the game. There are some bugs and strange features that were reported that remain within the final version game, this is due to AGD being an utter gitbag, memory hog and the compiler crashing when it is looked at in a certain way.
So, don't try and jump through walls on certain levels, be careful of locking the characters within doors and don't feed Dave after midnight or he'll ride his A-bike over your toes and it'll bloody hurt for weeks!
Argh. There was one bug I could have fixed, but forgot. Either you or Mikhail suggested a 'quit level' option. Someone at zx.pk.ru has reported getting trapped on this level:

I *think* this is the only time you can get properly trapped. I really can't be arsed fixing all 6 versions before xmas, so for now:

POKE 32055,5* completes the level.
POKE 32057,<>0 kills player

*or your favourite number between 1 and 254
zedex82
Drutt

Post by zedex82 »

I have just been playing Buzzxsaw for an hour. Great puzzle game.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

You know there's a more colourful version? LoL
This version only exists because you can't play multicolour games on the GBA Spectrum emulator on a GBMicro. :mrgreen:
Also suitable for 16-bit era emulators. So you can run it on an emulator in an ST emulator!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

For those who haven't figured it out in the BunnyGun weapons demo, different coloured tokens swap characters; if you wait for another token of the same colour, you get a power-up. And holding fire does something different for each weapon. Also releasing and re-holding sometimes helps.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm
@bobfossil , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
Completed during 2 hours, a new record?