New game: Nohzdyve

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

New game: Nohzdyve

Post by R-Tape »

New Speccy game released as a bonus to the Black Mirror episode 'Bandersnatch'.

Nohzdyve

I'll start the Hi-Score challenge at a very gettable 380 (bread and water, no POKEs now)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: New game: Nohzdyve

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I first thought it was some crazy Czech name, but then I read the description and it dawned on me . . . Doh! :D Will czech it out when I get back home.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just download it and it's hard but f*ck*ng addictive!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Got 'in the zone' briefly. 590.

My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Wrapped it in my turbo loader, in case anyone wants to play it on a real Spectrum.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Does it have any stages or is it endless falling with goal of getting the biggest highscore?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 pm Does it have any stages or is it endless falling with goal of getting the biggest highscore?
I'm guessing it's hi-score only..?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I'd like to know who's the real programmer of this game (please don't say Colin Ritman!!!)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm I'd like to know who's the real programmer of this game (please don't say Colin Ritman!!!)
It’s Matt Westcott (gasman). Let the game sit a few seconds; it starts scrolling the credits at the bottom of the screen).

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:21 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm I'd like to know who's the real programmer of this game (please don't say Colin Ritman!!!)
It’s Matt Westcott (gasman). Let the game sit a few seconds; it starts scrolling the credits at the bottom of the screen).
Ah, thanks!

By the way, is there any (legal) problem in including the game in ZXDB?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 pm Does it have any stages or is it endless falling with goal of getting the biggest highscore?

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm By the way, is there any (legal) problem in including the game in ZXDB?
I've emailed gasman to see what the crack is. The update won't be till Jan. It will have a ZXDB entry (+ a run screen with a VERY high score I hope!) whatever happens, but hopefully we can have permission to include the .tap.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm By the way, is there any (legal) problem in including the game in ZXDB?
I've emailed gasman to see what the crack is. The update won't be till Jan. It will have a ZXDB entry (+ a run screen with a VERY high score I hope!) whatever happens, but hopefully we can have permission to include the .tap.
That would be great
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It appears early on in Black Mirror, as a game programmed by Clive Ritman, who is obviously a conglomerate of a few zx-coding heroes—mostly Matt Smith*. Stefan, the main protagonist comments on the smooth sprites :-) I love this kind of thing, it reminds me of when Freddie Laker was released.

I don't think there are any more easter eggs in the code though, so it looks like a simple Hi-Score game. You wouldn't catch me joining in with such a stoopid willy-waving contest of course.

690 :mrgreen:
Spoiler
*Clive Ritman disappears, probably in Holland, later on.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:21 pm
I wonder if he was aware of the whole Netflix/Bandersnatch thing when it started 18 months ago when he was asked to create this game?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

stupidget wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:21 pm It’s Matt Westcott (gasman). Let the game sit a few seconds; it starts scrolling the credits at the bottom of the screen).
I wonder if he was aware of the whole Netflix/Bandersnatch thing when it started 18 months ago when he was asked to create this game?
I'd like to know the complete story about it.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:39 pm I first thought it was some crazy Czech name, but then I read the description and it dawned on me . . . Doh! :D Will czech it out when I get back home.
BTW, the title doesn't mean anything in Czech or Slovak language. ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:28 pm It appears early on in Black Mirror, as a game programmed by Clive Ritman, who is obviously a conglomerate of a few zx-coding heroes—mostly Matt Smith*.
Yeah, noticed that bit... Though thankfully Matthew Smith didn't
Spoiler
Chuck himself off a balcony whilst high as a kite
R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:28 pm I don't think there are any more easter eggs in the code though, so it looks like a simple Hi-Score game. You wouldn't catch me joining in with such a stoopid willy-waving contest of course.

690 :mrgreen:
Gah..! :roll:
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:28 pmIt appears early on in Black Mirror, as a game programmed by Clive Ritman, who is obviously a conglomerate of a few zx-coding heroes—mostly Matt Smith*. Stefan, the main protagonist comments on the smooth sprites :-)

MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I thought "I can just keep going FOREVER!", then I looked at the score and promptly had my arse handed back to me.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Gah..! This is my best this morning: 720

It's got something of the "Rally Driver twitch" about it...
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

there's ZX Spectrum program tape sound at end of the film (1:32:05). i recorded it via Audacity (WASAPI; +10 amplified):

TAPE (.WAV)

and played it thru ZXMAK2. here's what i got:

QR code leads to:

https://www.tuckersoft.net/ealing20541

and complete Z80 snapshot of this program:

SNAPSHOT (.Z80)

Last edited by abelenki on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

That's a very tall building.
gasman
Drutt

Post by gasman »

stupidget wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm I wonder if he was aware of the whole Netflix/Bandersnatch thing when it started 18 months ago when he was asked to create this game?
Ello :-)

Nope, my involvement was much shorter than that... I was brought in at the end of August, when (as I gather) all the actual filming was over. The version seen on screen is a very well-done video mockup (right down to the colour clash), and the code snippets shown there weren't mine either (but aside from the being-written-in-BASIC thing, there's some pretty plausible code in there by made-up-for-TV standards...) My job was to take that 20 seconds or so of mockup footage and turn it into a real game. It was a pretty big secret to keep, but I only had minimal knowledge of the show as a whole - I didn't even know it was going to be interactive until that was leaked to the world at large :-)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

gasman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:08 am My job was to take that 20 seconds or so of mockup footage and turn it into a real game.
And a bloody good job you did too (you lucky bast). I'm trying to imagine the mix of excitement and fear that getting this job must have involved.

Was the Easter Egg QR code your handiwork too?