New game: Nohzdyve

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: New game: Nohzdyve

Post by Morkin »

Gah..! This is my best this morning: 720

It's got something of the "Rally Driver twitch" about it...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

there's ZX Spectrum program tape sound at end of the film (1:32:05). i recorded it via Audacity (WASAPI; +10 amplified):

TAPE (.WAV)

and played it thru ZXMAK2. here's what i got:

QR code leads to:

https://www.tuckersoft.net/ealing20541

and complete Z80 snapshot of this program:

SNAPSHOT (.Z80)

Last edited by abelenki on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

That's a very tall building.
gasman
Drutt

Post by gasman »

stupidget wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm I wonder if he was aware of the whole Netflix/Bandersnatch thing when it started 18 months ago when he was asked to create this game?
Ello :-)

Nope, my involvement was much shorter than that... I was brought in at the end of August, when (as I gather) all the actual filming was over. The version seen on screen is a very well-done video mockup (right down to the colour clash), and the code snippets shown there weren't mine either (but aside from the being-written-in-BASIC thing, there's some pretty plausible code in there by made-up-for-TV standards...) My job was to take that 20 seconds or so of mockup footage and turn it into a real game. It was a pretty big secret to keep, but I only had minimal knowledge of the show as a whole - I didn't even know it was going to be interactive until that was leaked to the world at large :-)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

gasman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:08 am My job was to take that 20 seconds or so of mockup footage and turn it into a real game.
And a bloody good job you did too (you lucky bast). I'm trying to imagine the mix of excitement and fear that getting this job must have involved.

Was the Easter Egg QR code your handiwork too?
gasman
Drutt

Post by gasman »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:45 pm Was the Easter Egg QR code your handiwork too?
Yep!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

When we make the ZXDB entry this week, it'll have a RUN.scr with a Hi-Score of 960. Last chance to top that everyone :mrgreen:
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Diabolical little game.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

For those of us that have not watched the program, why are the eyeballs being collected?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:51 pm For those of us that have not watched the program, why are the eyeballs being collected?
It'll be a reference to the hallucinogenic scene; Stefan Butler perceives Clive Ritman's eyes as massive and bulging. A scene follows when one or the other has the pleasure of jumping off the balcony.

The teeth? Probably nowt to do wi' owt!

EDIT - mayyybbbe the teeth are a reference to the hellish theory of PacMan that was explored in this scene. But if so then they'd probably choose PacMan instead of teeth...
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm
MatGubbins wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:51 pm For those of us that have not watched the program, why are the eyeballs being collected?
It'll be a reference to the hallucinogenic scene; Stefan Butler perceives Clive Ritman's eyes as massive and bulging. A scene follows when one or the other has the pleasure of jumping off the balcony.

The teeth? Probably nowt to do wi' owt!

EDIT - mayyybbbe the teeth are a reference to the hellish theory of PacMan that was explored in this scene. But if so then they'd probably choose PacMan instead of teeth...
Ah... ok.
So it's a 'Remember kids, don't do drugs, mess with computer games, lob ya self off a balcony... etc.' scene.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Infinite lives? Pah, that's for people with too much time on their hands. There's got to be an easier way to get a highscore.

So I came up with this: POKE 34127,0 = Invincibility against enemies.

You will now collect points when collecting eyes but pass unharmed through the deadly enemies, effectively letting you increase your score forever. If you just start it you'll fall forever, but if you touch the left or right keys you'll still have to steer to avoid the walls ... but if you want to pass through walls too, then that code is just a few bytes above.

Sure, it sucks all the challenge out of it ... but hey - finding the poke was my challenge, so I'm happy :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »