New Software 2019

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New Software 2019

Post by R-Tape »

iadvd wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am Dear all, here is my fourth game... Moon's Fandom Festival
Oh wow. This looks pretty special. It's got a touch of Everyone's a Wally about it. Cheers!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Dear all, here is my fourth game... Moon's Fandom Festival
Wow, It's different from the usual AGD platformers that you get today. And it comes completely out of the blue, I believe there weren't
any previews.

I'll check it later
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

Happy to hear that! I tried something different... if somebody plays it this weekend it would be great to have some feedback, cheers! :D :D :D
Furillo Productions' games can be downloaded here:
https://furilloproductions.itch.io/
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

iadvd wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 am Happy to hear that! I tried something different... if somebody plays it this weekend it would be great to have some feedback, cheers! :D :D :D
Tomorrow at 2 PM, full review will be available ;)
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

Block Dude, it may buggy(or not)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

iadvd wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am Dear all, here is my fourth game... Moon's Fandom Festival

R-Tape: as always, please feel free to add it to the ZXDB :)
I finally had chance to play this properly—it's good fun and great to see a fresh idea. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I've managed to get 2 icons and nearly made every character satisfied. The biggest flaw in the game is that there is so much repetition. For example, I accidently lost the access card a few times, and it takes ages checking and rechecking (and rechecking*) filing cabinets to get it back, and in the meantime I get the magic wand I already have several times. The same goes for 'collecting' the correct message for chatting—I'm waiting for a few specific ones and I keep getting the ones I've already used.

I had to look up some of the fandom references (I'm neither a Harry Potter nor Mecha officionado), but that was all part of the fun :)

Anyway, great game. Thanks! (I've been a bit lazy, but I'll include this in my part of next ZXDB update).

*why btw? how could that ever be fun for the player or necessary for the game?
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 pm
I finally had chance to play this properly—it's good fun and great to see a fresh idea. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I've managed to get 2 icons and nearly made every character satisfied. The biggest flaw in the game is that there is so much repetition. For example, I accidently lost the access card a few times, and it takes ages checking and rechecking (and rechecking*) filing cabinets to get it back, and in the meantime I get the magic wand I already have several times. The same goes for 'collecting' the correct message for chatting—I'm waiting for a few specific ones and I keep getting the ones I've already used.

I had to look up some of the fandom references (I'm neither a Harry Potter nor Mecha officionado), but that was all part of the fun :)

Anyway, great game. Thanks! (I've been a bit lazy, but I'll include this in my part of next ZXDB update).

*why btw? how could that ever be fun for the player or necessary for the game?
Thanks for checking it! yes, yes you are totally right about the amount of time required to obtain a correct item. I have been testing it for weeks, not finding for this game a satisfactory solution. Every time you search for something everything depends on a random number, if the numbers is a certain probability value, you find something. But the "something" that you found is also random. So it is like for instance very similar to this:

Search something > Random number from 0 to 17 > if random number is not 0 then bad luck nothing was found; if = 0 then generate a second random number, and according to that number provide to the character the associated object to that random number...

I need to fine tune both the probability required in the step 1 to be successful finding an object and then maybe avoiding a second random number to get an object and just rotate and provide the next object of the list, so the objects just rotate when they are found, so you always find a new ("next" of the list) object :)

I will amend this for the next one. At least if you insist it finally appears, just a question of 1 minute. I need to rethink that part for sure! :) :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

iadvd wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 am Search something > Random number from 0 to 17 > if random number is not 0 then bad luck nothing was found; if = 0 then generate a second random number, and according to that number provide to the character the associated object to that random number...

I need to fine tune both the probability required in the step 1 to be successful finding an object and then maybe avoiding a second random number to get an object and just rotate and provide the next object of the list, so the objects just rotate when they are found, so you always find a new ("next" of the list) object :)
It would be nice to get objects a bit more frequently. It would be even nicer if an object does not reappear after it has been successfully used, but that's more difficult to implement than your 'next object' idea.

By the way, what is "You've been rackrolled" a reference to?
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm
iadvd wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 am Search something > Random number from 0 to 17 > if random number is not 0 then bad luck nothing was found; if = 0 then generate a second random number, and according to that number provide to the character the associated object to that random number...

It would be nice to get objects a bit more frequently. It would be even nicer if an object does not reappear after it has been successfully used, but that's more difficult to implement than your 'next object' idea.

By the way, what is "You've been rackrolled" a reference to?
Thanks for the ideas!!! You've been rackrolled is a modified word for Rickrolled... I also write Ghastbusters and X-flies in other conversations of the game... :D :D :D well you know what Rickrolling is... ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ScGV5128A
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

iadvd wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:09 pm well you know what Rickrolling is...
I do now!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I haven't played it, but rather than generating a random number on demand to add an object, it always makes for fairer gameplay if a list of needed objects are randomly distributed to fixed places at the start of the game, then the game designed so that they can't be disposed of until they're used. Just like shuffling a pack of cards, rather than generating a playing card at random when dealt.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

This one, from April, seems to have missed the updates:
The Revenge of Moriarty
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1480

:)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
zapiy
Drutt

Post by zapiy »

mzx wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 am The Malignant Gore (Sanctum Games)

Do we know the coder of this game?

Cheers
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Great new version of the classic Bruce Lee:

https://highriser.itch.io/bruce-lee-rx

Spruced up graphics and it's still a joy to play.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for the heads up chaps. I've neglected the initial games list post. I've added most of the missing ones, and need to sort out the links for many.

Some stats for the year so far (there will be a few games missing):

Total games: 68

By genre:

Action: 24
Adventure: 3
Management 2
Platform: 10
Puzzle: 4
Shmups: 7
Text Adv: 16
Utililty: 2

Not counting PAWS or QUILL, how many are made with game designers:

AGD: 18
SEUD: 3
MK1/2 3

And 11 games were 2019 entries for the ZX-Dev 2018 competition.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Thanks for th info, Dave! Hmm seems that the rythm of creation of new games has slowed down a little bit, although we are still missing Halloween and Xmas, two of the most prolific periods of time for new releases :)
However, I think the quality is still really high!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:13 pm Total games: 68
Forgot to mention that ^this^ number doesn't include the 20 games made by Bearsden Primary P6!
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

CaFe 2019 demoparty stuff:
https://events.retroscene.org/cafe2019

such a good entries
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Recent new games:

Che-Man
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1963

Mage Rage
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1970

Rescate en Marte
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1985

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1986

TuT-Tut (for ZX81)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1988

Paintball 2048
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1992

Quite a lot. But no Halloween themed game this year? ;)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

There'll be one more during the weekend. With something not far away from the halloween theme... ;)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

This is the second Nixy game and I must admit, it's somewhat brilliant:

https://www.bubblesoftgames.com/nixy-an ... ds-of-doom

I've had a quick play today and I'm struggling to get into the castle. I can see the key, but, work out how to bloody well get it :lol:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

A platformer will appear somewhere... ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Super Enquiry Simulator

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2069
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Battle on Hoth (Empire Software MiA)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2071