Quest - help!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Quest - help!

Post by R-Tape »

Arggh! This is bothering me now!

Quest appears to be a very short puzzle adventure, but I'm going round in circles. (rem to play a .SCL file, use Spectaculator or FUSE).

Massive spoilers follow.

The first puzzle, you reform this picture, and it gives you a code to solve (thanks to stu for keeping the .png :-)).
Spoiler

Spoiler 2:
Spoiler
This is the 'dancing man' code (thanks Π:D ), and it gives you 'MEDIGO'
The only place to input this is the fax machine, but when I do so and press enter, nothing happens!

I also have a chemical flask, that I don't seem able to use anywhere. I would have thought the broken toilet, but nothing happens there either.

:cry:
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Quest - help!

Post by stupidget »

You’re welcome. Not that it’s helped us much 🤬🤬🤬😀
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Not played the game, but... have you typed in the phone number to fax to and did you press hard on the send button? For those of us that had a fax machine that required the extra pressure.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

You don't enter letters into a Fax Machine, you enter numbers. Now if there was only some way to convert the message from letters to numbers :?:
Spoiler
Look at any phone handset, everything you need to convert the message is there.
The result you get from doing that looks suspiciously like a mathematical expression and.....
Spoiler
The TV set will accept a 1 to 4 digit number.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Bizzley wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:20 pm You don't enter letters into a Fax Machine, you enter numbers...
Bloody hell that's good. I wish I could think like that.

I tried without it, but I needed spoiler 1. I'm going to work on spoiler 2 this week...
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

The more I look at the TV set the more I'm convinced it's a microwave oven, though this being a Russian game maybe that's what their TV sets look like! What bearing that has on a possible solution I can't say, just throwing it out there.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Well that was....really strange.

I managed to crack the Fax Machine puzzle via a method that I don't think is the correct way to solve it but instead has to be one of the most incredible coincidences going. And I didn't hack the code or type numbers in at random or go through all the combinations either.

This Spoiler doesn't give away the answer or even how to get it but may harm your enjoyment of the game.
Spoiler
I can't see the correlation between the answer and the puzzle itself other than the answer appears to have some relevance to the game. If all this sounds a bit vague it's because I haven't got a clue what links the answer to the question, I can post a proper Spoiler to the answer - or at least a pointer towards it - but as to why it is what it is, it beats me!
After that the end arrives pretty quickly. All in all a pretty good way to spend a few hours and it certainly wins out against yet another of those move-around-the-screen-and-collect-all-the-objects games.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm pissed off with myself, because I got itchy and did hack the code for the microwave/tv input. Now I'm trying to work out why that's the answer!