Wonky

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Wonky

Post by R-Tape »

Ersh wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 pm Thanks for the game mate! (MORE PLEASE).
FTFY.
majikeyric
Drutt

Post by majikeyric »

Great concept ! :)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Been playing some more on ZXDS trying to get a better time, works remarkably well on there even though the DS' LCD isn't the best for fast (50hz) moving objects. :)

Stumbled upon a bug though, I failed on the 5th and last level and got sent back to the title screen, when I started a new game the pill on the left platform (shortcut to the goal) wasn't there anymore. Thought nothing of it and continued on, made it to the final level but there I couldn't pick up the first key, the graphic was there but it would not get collected when walked past so I couldn't complete it. Had to reload the game.

It appears that if objects are 'collected' and not 'respawned' when one finishes a level, they won't appear if the player starts over. Try collecting the 'shortcut-pill' and then finish the first level, let the timer run out on the second level and start a new game. The pill is gone. Same goes for the key on the last level (most likely all other objects), the key is there but can't be collected.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Ersh wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:13 pm It appears that if objects are 'collected' and not 'respawned' when one finishes a level, they won't appear if the player starts over.
Ooh, good spot. The game restart code isn't resetting objects which have gone into that un-displayed state. Easy fix, thanks for the report. :)
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Had a great no-pill (5 bonuses) run, only lost a couple of seconds on the first level, had a flawless 2nd and only one tiny mistake on the third (which to me is the toughest if you're going for speed). Naturally I missed the pixel perfect jump twice(!) on the fourth level, first jump was one pixel early, second jump one pixel late so I lost around 10 seconds there. No mistakes on the last level. Total time around 3:30. :) It's not perfect, those two missed jumps on the 4th level pains me, but I've submitted the recording to the RZX-Archive nonetheless. You can download it from here in the meantime.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-HMD0nuSk8
Daren has uploaded the recording to the RZX-Archive as well as their youtube channel. Here's the video. :)
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Finally managed to complete this without using snapshots, but man it's hard. The jumps on the third screen require some insane reactions, and it doesn't help that you need to leave the music on to keep the game at a playable speed! The most frustrating parts are the jumps where you bounce off a wall and have to quickly change direction. Nonetheless the design is quite good and it would be great to see more games from you.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I tried improving my time and this is the best I could manage - it's around 2:40. I just can't do the right-hand section of level 3 reliably.
wonky.szx
wonky.rzx
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Pretty cute. The one-key gimmick is original (at least on the Spectrum -- I may have seen some browser games that did this). And I really like the man's little animation, and the varied use of colour in the levels. Also it's a platformer that doesn't use AGD/PGD, so +1000 points there. (Sorry Jonathan.)

Regarding difficulty: is there no way to tell which teleporter will take you to which other one? That is quite savage, considering you immediately run out of the other end. How about a little beaming animation or a flashing indicator of where you are about to appear? Or even just use different colour schemes or patterns on the matched teleporter pairs.

Having moving "baddies" might be nice, but they definitely wouldn't be needed or wanted on the first few levels. If the learning curve is too steep, people will quit in frustration; if it's too shallow, they will just think "YEAH I'm great at this game!", or in the worst case just feel minor boredom, but will probably continue to the tricky stuff.

The music is totally, ear-destroyingly out of tune, but I see someone has explained the mathematics behind this, and I suppose awful music follows the grand tradition of Manic Miner's horror piano.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

The music does sound a lot better if the offending notes are POKEd to the correct values. I actually thought the main sprite was from Lemmings, but after looking at that game they are completely different. It's a nice looking sprite anyway.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

djnzx48 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 pm ...it doesn't help that you need to leave the music on to keep the game at a playable speed!
Um, does it? There's a HALT at the bottom of the main loop to lock to game to 50fps, and I was careful to ensure there are no dropped frames so it doesn't slow down. It should run at the same speed regardless of whether the music is on or not.

Only, I just got a stopwatch out and checked how long he takes to run from one side of the screen to the other with music on and off, and I think you might be right. That definitely stands investigation since it was a design goal that the music shouldn't affect game speed.

But now I have to go to work and I likely won't be able to look at this or tweak the levels until the weekend. Life isn't fair.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

djnzx48 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 am The music does sound a lot better if the offending notes are POKEd to the correct values.
Yes, it does. I put your suggested values in the code last night and even to my totally uneducated ear it's clear it's an improvement. Before doing a version release I'm going to see how I can update level 3 to make it a bit easier, or at least a bit less frustrating, and look at the other suggestion people made. Oh, and close the silly cheat points I managed to leave in. :)

My education continues! Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. :D
Jodo
Drutt

Post by Jodo »

This is a great game! Very addictive. I haven't managed to get past level 2 yet but I will persevere. And, in all honesty, I don't think it needs baddies, it's difficult enough already :D
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

djnzx48 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am I tried improving my time and this is the best I could manage - it's around 2:40. I just can't do the right-hand section of level 3 reliably.
wonky.szx
wonky.rzx
Nice job! :) Tried turning off the music and it was like the game was on turbo, very enjoyable! Managed to get my time down to around 2:31 with music off and that includes one missed jump on level 4 and a couple of small mistakes along the way. Also thanks for the shortcut to skip the pill on the first level. That right section of the third level is a challenge but I found a setup that works most of the time though. Without music the fourth level got a bit harder, not only the first jump but the shortcut as well. My best attempt so far here.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Well I'm very glad that you've all finished it as I can't even get past the first screen :lol:
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Had a great run! :D Only one tiny mistake on level 4. Used some safe strats on level 3 and 5 and the time could be further improved with optimal movement, but I'm pretty satisfied with this; around 2:24! Check it out here.

Fantastic game! :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Tsk—1 missed jump on level 4. Disappointed :-p

You've made me realise how lucky I got to finish any of the later levels. I didn't really know where I was going to appear next.

Peter, where are the P?s? jars? It's time for Ersh's drug test.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 pm Tsk—1 missed jump on level 4. Disappointed :-p

You've made me realise how lucky I got to finish any of the later levels. I didn't really know where I was going to appear next.

Peter, where are the P?s? jars? It's time for Ersh's drug test.
:lol: and probably the easiest jump in the game as well! Just glad I'm beginning to nail that first pixel perfect jump on level 4 though, lost a lot of good runs there.

I hope [mention]dfzx[/mention] doesn't change the levels too much. The shortcuts require some skill to take so I think they should be there as an option. As for the rest of the game, there's nothing random, only a timer and your own skill to hold accountable, nothing I would consider unfair. It requires practise and for such a short game I think the difficulty is spot on. :)
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Ersh wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:36 pm I hope @dfzx doesn't change the levels too much. The shortcuts require some skill to take so I think they should be there as an option. As for the rest of the game, there's nothing random, only a timer and your own skill to hold accountable, nothing I would consider unfair. It requires practise and for such a short game I think the difficulty is spot on. :)
Ersh, I think we have to consider you a bit of a outlier. :) The fact I've never completed it at full speed myself, when I've had months to practise, probably tells you something. Some people are clearly good at this type of game - it's about timing and coordination, as opposed to puzzle solving or anything else. I think we can assume you're good at these things. :)

It was always my intention that the game was deterministic. I've seen frequent irritated comments on SC forums from players who get frustrated when randomness is added to a game which makes completion or claiming a highest score come down to chance. So I was always happy that the player should need to memorise the level and learn where teleporters, etc., take you. I think that's part of the "one more go and I'll do a bit better" sort of ethos. I don't intend to change the levels other than closing the shortcut holes and making level 3 slightly easier, hopefully just by adding or moving a block or two.

I do intend to work out why the game is faster with the music off though. Given that I use a HALT to lock it to 50fps, and there are no dropped frames, that's a bit of a mystery.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

dfzx wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm Ersh, I think we have to consider you a bit of a outlier. :) The fact I've never completed it at full speed myself, when I've had months to practise, probably tells you something. Some people are clearly good at this type of game - it's about timing and coordination, as opposed to puzzle solving or anything else. I think we can assume you're good at these things. :)

It was always my intention that the game was deterministic. I've seen frequent irritated comments on SC forums from players who get frustrated when randomness is added to a game which makes completion or claiming a highest score come down to chance. So I was always happy that the player should need to memorise the level and learn where teleporters, etc., take you. I think that's part of the "one more go and I'll do a bit better" sort of ethos. I don't intend to change the levels other than closing the shortcut holes and making level 3 slightly easier, hopefully just by adding or moving a block or two.

I do intend to work out why the game is faster with the music off though. Given that I use a HALT to lock it to 50fps, and there are no dropped frames, that's a bit of a mystery.
I don't think I'm particularly gifted with timing and/or coordination, just got some patience and if it's a fun challenge I usually stick to it. :)

Adding a restart key would also be a nice idea!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Nicely done Ersh, it looks like you're well ahead of me! Now try running it with sound turned off as well to save time on the teleporters ;)
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

djnzx48 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm Nicely done Ersh, it looks like you're well ahead of me! Now try running it with sound turned off as well to save time on the teleporters ;)
Aw, cr@p... That never occurred to me either!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

;)

I found a shortcut to save a couple of seconds on level 5: you can jump off the side of the screen from the rightmost spring and land on the exit platform, instead of going back through the teleporter. But it's easy to mess it up.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

I've been trying to reproduce the "it runs faster with the music off" issue. Fail. I'm running Fuse 1.5.7; I don't have real hardware.

I load the game and on the intro screen I use a hand held stopwatch to time how long it takes him to run from one side of the screen to the other. The answer is 4.7 seconds with music both on and off. I can reproduce that quite accurately (to within a few hundredths), and it's completely repeatable.

I start the game and time how long it takes him to run along the bottom of the screen. He picks up a slowdown pill three quarters of the way along which obviously slows him down. From one side to the other takes him 6.0 seconds, music both on and off.

Can someone who sees the speed slow down when the music is on run those 2 timing tests and tell me what difference they see with the music on and off? If so, can you tell me what hardware or emulator you're using? I'd be much obliged... :)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

djnzx48 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm Nicely done Ersh, it looks like you're well ahead of me! Now try running it with sound turned off as well to save time on the teleporters ;)

I found a shortcut to save a couple of seconds on level 5: you can jump off the side of the screen from the rightmost spring and land on the exit platform, instead of going back through the teleporter. But it's easy to mess it up.
Thanks! ;)

That's a mighty sweet skip! Risky though, I reckon one would have to get dead consistent with the rest of the game before daring the attempt so close to the finishing line.

If one would turn off the music & sound effects, use all shortcuts, no safe strats and optimal movement I think it would be possible to get pretty close to 2 minutes. Would be a pretty batty undertaking though. :P
dfzx wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 am I've been trying to reproduce the "it runs faster with the music off" issue. Fail. I'm running Fuse 1.5.7; I don't have real hardware.

I load the game and on the intro screen I use a hand held stopwatch to time how long it takes him to run from one side of the screen to the other. The answer is 4.7 seconds with music both on and off. I can reproduce that quite accurately (to within a few hundredths), and it's completely repeatable.

I start the game and time how long it takes him to run along the bottom of the screen. He picks up a slowdown pill three quarters of the way along which obviously slows him down. From one side to the other takes him 6.0 seconds, music both on and off.

Can someone who sees the speed slow down when the music is on run those 2 timing tests and tell me what difference they see with the music on and off? If so, can you tell me what hardware or emulator you're using? I'd be much obliged... :)
I recorded two RZX (with and without music) while letting the little guy run back and forth on the titlescreen, then replayed the recordings side by side in two windows of ZXSpin. They run at the same speed there. Then recorded two RZX while having the guy run inside the cradle (middle of the screen) over and over on the first level. They get desynchronised after a while. Also did the same on level two only this time going right while jumping on the first spring to spring section and they get desynched much faster there. Seems to fall noticeably faster as well. Maybe it has something to do with your jump routine, since they don't seem to get desynched on the titlescreen and first level if you only run on the bottom.