DIZZY AND THE MUSHROOM PIE (SPECTRUM REMAKE)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

DIZZY AND THE MUSHROOM PIE (SPECTRUM REMAKE)

Post by pavero »

RELEASED: 02/2019

RELEASE FORMATS; ZX Spectrum: TR-DOS

Author: Verm-V
Programmers: Verm-V
Musician: MmcM

Daisy sends Dizzy to find mushrooms for a special pie, but he gets trapped inside a cave and this is only the start of his troubles...

http://www.yolkfolk.com/games/mushroom- ... rum-remake
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: DIZZY AND THE MUSHROOM PIE (SPECTRUM REMAKE)

Post by Ralf »

For anyone interested, the authors released not only this game but the complete game engine as well. And they made a nice website about it (English version available):

http://dizzyse.ru/index_eng.html

I didn't test this engine much personally yet but if it turns easy to use then we may probably expect a new stream of Dizzy fan games ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm I didn't test this engine much personally yet but if it turns easy to use then we may probably expect a new stream of Dizzy fan games ;)
Aye maybe. We have 3 so far (and we need to create a 'Dizzy Scripting Engine' group in the next update). It's interesting that every Dizzy MOD in the archive is from Russia and Eastern Europe; I didn't see a single one from elsewhere. As far as MODs go, it seems the west favoured Manic Miner/JSW, and the east favoured Dizzy.

I guess there doesn't have to be an obvious reason, but can anyone think why there is this apparent difference in taste?
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I heard it's because programs didn't make their way into Russia until quite late, around 1986 maybe, so by the time they got JSW and MM they had already seen more advanced games and the older ones didn't have the same effect. And there was a huge amount of publicity surrounding Manic Miner after its release that probably wasn't noticed over there.
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

djnzx48 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:26 pm I heard it's because programs didn't make their way into Russia until quite late, around 1986 maybe, so by the time they got JSW and MM they had already seen more advanced games and the older ones didn't have the same effect. And there was a huge amount of publicity surrounding Manic Miner after its release that probably wasn't noticed over there.
Exactly, my first games back in 1993 was Exolon,Rick Dangerous,Saboteur,Batty e.t.c, so when i see a manic miner and jsw one day it was just a strange and fun platformers :) Dizzy games was very very very popular for some reason.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Well, I am from Eastern Europe ;) and can only confirm what others already said.

We got our Spectrum later than people in UK. In 1983 nobody owned Spectrum here. They started to appear
only after 1986 or so in Poland and even later in Russia, after 1990.

At the moment when we got our Spectrums, MM/JSW were already obsolete with their simplistic graphics. WE missed the hype
for them completely. And we had more polished, "modern" games available.

But maybe it doesn't explain why Dizzy got so many fan games and not for example Dan Dare, Saboteur or Monty Mole.
Actually I have no idea, would have to think more ;)
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »