ZX Larry (Leisure Suit Larry remake)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
filipe.veiga
Drutt

Re: ZX Larry (Leisure Suit Larry remake)

Post by filipe.veiga »

"KEN SENT ME" - I still remember these magic words :lol:
not sure if they are present in this remake, I need some time to play it - so many new games coming from the competition, so little time
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I´m trying to complete it today. :)
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 am Thanks for making the thread! And yes, it's my game :)
Very very nice! The screens look so authentic, both to the original game as to the Speccy. Great stuff!

The controls are ok (using Fuse) after switching to kempston mouse.
It would have been very cool if the tune had been truer to the original, now its just annoying.

I did have a crash when I attempted to give the bottle of wine from the store to the tramp.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I did have a crash when I attempted to give the bottle of wine from the store to the tramp.
It may be related to using the Kempston mouse. There must be some bugs with it as people reported other weird behaviour too.
I wrote this code a long time ago with zero previous experience of mouse support and actually didn't test it recently :oops:
I'll try to deal with it later.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Really nice game Rafal!

I would have some suggestions how to improve the interface of the game.

1) If you select a command (e.g. LOOK) and then change your mind, it would be fine, if you could select another one (e.g. TALK). It would be much more intuitive than CS+FIRE.

2) If you select a command (e.g. LOOK) it would be better to continue with 'looking' more than once fully automatically (look at girl, look at sign, etc). Now you must click on LOOK command every time again and again.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks for feedback, Pavel. I also got info about the interface from some other people and it looks like everybody says that the game could benefit from some interface retouch.

Now I'm going to have a few days of rest but I'll certainly make some fixes later.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Completed now. :)

Some bugs report:

1) Inventory for 10 items may not be enough, how we can see in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKMgxlSUWV8

2) If you use mag (via LOOK command), it doesn't disappear from inventory.

3) Time to time, if you use the sign for TAXI, messy text will appear. Maybe with Kempston mouse combination?
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm This is FANTASTIC! Congrats Ralf.

I find standard speed wayyy to fast, and the slow speed too slow; and it's a pain to have to press another key all the time. I hope you don't mind, but I've made a patch that sets the default speed as perfect for me. If others like it, perhaps it could be feedback for a fix?

Here's a snapshot with the patch.

Seems about right.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

The mouse speed is slightly fast too I think. Survivisection had a menu with different settings for the cursor sensitivity - would it be possible to add something like that? (if it's not too much work)
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Nice to see something like this on the humble Speccy. I'm sure a point-and-click game such as Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (not the isometric one we got) would've been possible. I really like the graphics and the use of colour.

How hard would it be to implement a pixel-based cursor routine?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi Bruno, nice to see that you like my remake of Larry :)

As for pixel precise cursor it is of course possible in general case but this Larry game uses almost all of memory and I would have to struggle hard to add some bigger code into it.

Another thing is colour clash. When we allow pixel movent we probably will have to accept clash and cursor taking colours from the background. I wanted to avoid it in my game so I went for this little glowing square moved by 8 pixels.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

One advantage of having a char-based cursor is that it's much quicker to fully 'explore' the screen, never liked point and click games where you had to 'hunt' pixels to make progress.

I tried R-Tape's speed mod and it feels spot on to me. Also it would be nice being able to cancel using the joystick, pavero had some nice ideas regarding this.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 pm
I played it with Kempston mouse and I think I completed it, but it was hard to tell because clicking on some objects (bartender, peephole, taxi stand) resulted in a lot of random text spewing all over the screen ;)
I'll to try do some bugfixes and release version 1.1. But give me a few days to rest ;)
I'm not familiar with the original (far too innocent :mrgreen: ), does it contain anything that would stop us hosting the file in the SC archive (indecent images etc)?
Actually there is no nudity or profanity in the game. But it is about trying to have sex and there is a scene of sex covered with "censored" sign.

In the end my feeling is that it belongs to adult category indeed. If SC doesn't show titles like Soho Sex Quest (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0006998 ) which don't have any graphics at all then to do justice it shouldn't include my remake too. I'm a bit sad about it but rules are rules I guess.

ZXDB is a bit different thing I guess. As I understood ZXDB contains info about adult games, just SC doesn't use it.

If you decided to add my game to SC however, I would accept it with joy.
I think it would be really big mistake to "censor" the game at SC site. Especially if this types of games are so rare on Speccy scene.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Do we all experience more or less the same emulator speed and keyboard sensitivy? I ask because I remember we had a similar issue with Ralf's Archaomania.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm This is FANTASTIC! Congrats Ralf.

I find standard speed wayyy to fast, and the slow speed too slow; and it's a pain to have to press another key all the time. I hope you don't mind, but I've made a patch that sets the default speed as perfect for me. If others like it, perhaps it could be feedback for a fix?

Here's a snapshot with the patch.

Thanks for this, much better and more playable now.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Don't worry [mention]pavero[/mention] , ZX-Larry will be appearing at SC (I've sent you and Ralf a PM). I thought it was going to be in this update, but I must have forgotten it! Sorry—next time.