ZX Larry (Leisure Suit Larry remake)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: ZX Larry (Leisure Suit Larry remake)

Post by Ralf »

Hi Bruno, nice to see that you like my remake of Larry :)

As for pixel precise cursor it is of course possible in general case but this Larry game uses almost all of memory and I would have to struggle hard to add some bigger code into it.

Another thing is colour clash. When we allow pixel movent we probably will have to accept clash and cursor taking colours from the background. I wanted to avoid it in my game so I went for this little glowing square moved by 8 pixels.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

One advantage of having a char-based cursor is that it's much quicker to fully 'explore' the screen, never liked point and click games where you had to 'hunt' pixels to make progress.

I tried R-Tape's speed mod and it feels spot on to me. Also it would be nice being able to cancel using the joystick, pavero had some nice ideas regarding this.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 pm
I played it with Kempston mouse and I think I completed it, but it was hard to tell because clicking on some objects (bartender, peephole, taxi stand) resulted in a lot of random text spewing all over the screen ;)
I'll to try do some bugfixes and release version 1.1. But give me a few days to rest ;)
I'm not familiar with the original (far too innocent :mrgreen: ), does it contain anything that would stop us hosting the file in the SC archive (indecent images etc)?
Actually there is no nudity or profanity in the game. But it is about trying to have sex and there is a scene of sex covered with "censored" sign.

In the end my feeling is that it belongs to adult category indeed. If SC doesn't show titles like Soho Sex Quest (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0006998 ) which don't have any graphics at all then to do justice it shouldn't include my remake too. I'm a bit sad about it but rules are rules I guess.

ZXDB is a bit different thing I guess. As I understood ZXDB contains info about adult games, just SC doesn't use it.

If you decided to add my game to SC however, I would accept it with joy.
I think it would be really big mistake to "censor" the game at SC site. Especially if this types of games are so rare on Speccy scene.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Do we all experience more or less the same emulator speed and keyboard sensitivy? I ask because I remember we had a similar issue with Ralf's Archaomania.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm This is FANTASTIC! Congrats Ralf.

I find standard speed wayyy to fast, and the slow speed too slow; and it's a pain to have to press another key all the time. I hope you don't mind, but I've made a patch that sets the default speed as perfect for me. If others like it, perhaps it could be feedback for a fix?

Here's a snapshot with the patch.

Thanks for this, much better and more playable now.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Don't worry [mention]pavero[/mention] , ZX-Larry will be appearing at SC (I've sent you and Ralf a PM). I thought it was going to be in this update, but I must have forgotten it! Sorry—next time.