Aliens: Neoplasma

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Aliens: Neoplasma

Post by Ralf »

And going back to the game... ;)

I've been playing it just now. Top stuff! I'll try to write more later as today I just gave it a short test.

Just be careful to redefine the keys wisely. Apart from directions you use buttons for jump, fire and grenade. It's quite a lot and if you choose some random keys, the game will be uncomfortable to play.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 pm And going back to the game... ;)

I've been playing it just now. Top stuff! I'll try to write more later as today I just gave it a short test.

Just be careful to redefine the keys wisely. Apart from directions you use buttons for jump, fire and grenade. It's quite a lot and if you choose some random keys, the game will be uncomfortable to play.
Ralf, sent you a PM about Larry. Somehow it gets stuck on my outbox...
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

As a fan of the Alien(s) franchise I had to give this a go. Took me just under an hour to complete and enjoyed it immensely. The graphics and sounds are drenched in a thick and brooding atmosphere that suits the source material perfectly. I really liked the exploratory nature of the gameplay and it controlled great for the most part, for some reason it seemed to drop my jump inputs at certain points when platforming was needed. Other than that it's a stellar production, great job guys!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Had a second playthrough today to get the other ending, shaved of 10 minutes from my previous run. I noticed that the 'dropping of jump inputs' I mentioned in my previous post only happens inside the cargo area where the Alien nest is (lots of goo on the floor). This led me to believe it's intentional, I stood still and simply pressed the key several times until Ashley actually jumped (freeing her from the goo) before making any crucial jumps to continue. Just a tip! :)
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Fantastic game, graphics and music are amazing as expected. I like the sound effects, in particular the gun feels really satisfying to fire. Although with the great weapons it would have been nice to see a bit more varied combat besides the two enemy types that are in the game.

I only completed the bad ending so far, but my one complaint with this game is all the backtracking. It wasn't so bad in Castlevania because you were fighting enemies and collecting coins, but here the enemies don't respawn, so all the extra running around you have to do every time you die seems slightly pointless. One checkpoint in particular was placed just before a long tunnel that you had to slowly crawl through every time to get back to where you were. Anyway, that's just my mild complaint for an otherwise great game and I'll probably be replaying it to get the other ending.
wizbob
Drutt

Post by wizbob »

Absolutely fantastic game. It's hard to stand out with a run-and-gun game on the Spectrum but this is extremely memorable. It is particularly fascinating to see a modern level of polish and design applied to a 1980s computer and film franchise.

I remember when the two official Aliens games were released on the Spectrum and it was an unusual opportunity to compare two different design approaches. In the 1987 it was the first-person approach that was better executed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9wfWzBzY0) but now the crown goes to the side-view game.

This game features cut scenes, excellent (and appropriate) music and clever use of colour. The graphics and animation are clear and legible. The level design is logical, easy to read, claustrophobic and atmospheric, from crawl vents, industrial fans and flashing lights to puffs of steam - all extremely reminiscent of the production design in James Cameron's films.

The design is forgiving, with infinite lives, limited alien respawning and generous checkpoints. Character movement is nuanced with a controllable jump and an ability to crouch, crawl and jump down from crates. I like the fact that the guns use hitscan and have a digital ammo countdown, which is very cinematic. They also stun aliens and are just about effective against them. The grenades also have environment uses and a blast area you need to avoid.

Areas of the ship are quite distinct and often a game idea, like the beautiful red lasers in the reactor, are brought in once and then discarded. In this case you are given a simple example of the lasers to jump, followed by a variation and then a chance to show your mastery. This Nintendo-level of design.

I was somewhat surprised to actually finish a ZX Spectrum game but I felt that I genuinely enjoyed the story and the unfolding action without stretching my patience. I hope the engine can be used again for a sequel or maybe a Contra/Gryzor game.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Great writeup. Have you seen this? ;) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=754

It's another really nice looking game by the team behind Aliens, and it's running on the same engine. Hopefully it gets a release soon.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Too many controls.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Technically wise, it's hard to find a fault in Aliens Neoplasma - graphics, sound and controls are on par with some of the most noticeable commercial productions of the "late classic" period (1990-1993). However, just like many of such productions, gameplay is not on the same level of its presentation. Most of the times it's just going back and forth tunnels which already well depicted look pretty much the same, opening doors and shooting enemies which also look and behave pretty much the same. Nothing revolutionary, just an old story - well told for sure, but still the same story as many others we have heard for decades. Pretty much a case of style over substance as far as I am concerned. I find more involvement and characterization in a single level of Comeme El Chip than in what I have experienced of Aliens Neoplasma so far. Let alone the classic Aliens (UK), which back in the day almost made me jump out of scare every time a Xenomorph all of a sudden entered the room my current character was in.

That said, I gave a small donation to the authors in order to download the full version, and did not regret doing it. But I am rather disappointed after the likes of Survivisection and Castlevania.
wizbob
Drutt

Post by wizbob »

djnzx48 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm Great writeup. Have you seen this? ;) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=754

It's another really nice looking game by the team behind Aliens, and it's running on the same engine. Hopefully it gets a release soon.
The 128k version looks fantastic. I won't be able to make up my mind about the ZX Next platform until I actually try one out.

It is hard to be impressed by modern 8bit hardware but it looks like it might just capture enough of the classic Spectrum feel for me to enjoy it.

Something I forgot to mention about Aliens Neoplasma; I use a Sega game pad connected to a 128k via DivIDE and, without even realising it, I was using one button to jump and another to shoot.

I don't even know if the Kempston interface supports multiple buttons, but it was a cool gameplay addition I have never seen before.