Artillery

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
patters
Manic Miner

Artillery

Post by patters »

Hi all, not sure whether everyone here is also on WoS or not, but I thought I'd better post on both communities.

I started to write this remake of a Macintosh game over 25 years ago and got stuck. I designed the graphics but couldn't figure out the physics. Furthermore, my simple DRAW and PLOT experiments suggested that it would not be possible to make this in BASIC as it seemed an order of magnitude too slow. Luckily I was wrong.

After recently watching Bandersnatch on Netflix I remembered fondly what it's like to go slightly mad staring for hours at a Spectrum screen deep in a trancelike state. I unearthed the archived TAP files of my own childhood programs and got to work. Here is the result. This updated v1.1 now features dynamic time of day changes. After 5 turns nightfall will erase all trajectory traces so that difficult rounds (e.g. with very large mountains) can reasonably continue.

Download here: https://patters.itch.io/artillery
The BASIC program listing is also published separately

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jodo
Drutt

Re: Artillery

Post by Jodo »

Congratulations on getting it completed after so long!
I can't try it at the moment but I will do later. And I must say, that loading screen looks spectacular, I absolutely love it!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Very nice, oldschool fun, and it certainly plays fast enough. One of my earlier tries invoked the M.A.D doctrine!

Congrats on the game.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm One of my earlier tries invoked the M.A.D doctrine!
That’s kind of ambiguous. Did you nuke each other or just sit quietly doing nothing? ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Heh. It was a simultaneous splat
Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 pm or just sit quietly doing nothing? ;)
We're getting into CGC territory here - 2 equally lethal sides waving their cocks at each other.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm 2 equally lethal sides waving their cocks at each other.
Was my suspicion all along.

(Hope you both will wear protection . . . from radiation, you know.)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I have tweaked the performance enough to add moving arrows to indicate the position of shots which exceed the screen bounds. Updated version 1.3.1 files at itch.io.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Nice additions, the arrows and fast drawing.
Is it normal that shots reappear backwards when choosing angles like 80° ?
I wonder if changing wind in the middle of a game could make the game more interesting. It'd be nice to see clouds, rain or birds moving so the player can weigh wind force and direction.
Another idea would be to have to destroy turrets on different spots or even enemy soldiers walking slowly towards your side.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

hikoki wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:27 pm Nice additions, the arrows and fast drawing.
Is it normal that shots reappear backwards when choosing angles like 80° ?
I wonder if changing wind in the middle of a game could make the game more interesting. It'd be nice to see clouds, rain or birds moving so the player can weigh wind force and direction.
Another idea would be to have to destroy turrets on different spots or even enemy soldiers walking slowly towards your side.
Thanks. 80 degrees or above into the wind will blow back yes. I haven't come across unwinnable landscapes yet though (in a lot of playtesting!) - something the Mac Artillery used to suffer from. The downwind player can usually scrape an elevation in the mid-to-high 70s without hitting the terrain, and 99 velocity is more than enough. The Mac game had birds that would wipe out a shot, but I never liked that feature.

I've just published a new version which is significantly faster:
https://patters.itch.io/artillery/devlo ... timisation