New Game - Being left is not right

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: New Game - Being left is not right

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Nice idea, but It's hard to me controlling the man with a hand and controlling the ship with the other hand at the same time! :D
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 am
hikoki wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 am Cool game!
@PeterJ
I think this is a common problem with AGD game. Could you let the author know about this way of avoiding unfair collisions? I remember R-Tape's solution seemed to work quite well.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=202&p=4083#p4098
By the way, Allan Turvey shows another way on his youtube channel to achieve precise collisions.
I think the collision distance has been thinned a bit in the AGD settings (can't check on mobile), but that doesn't solve the height collision. I'll drop the author an email.
It was as simple as killing the hero after two collisions. On that post you shared a demo using gameloop variables: http://stonechatproductions.co.uk/zxgam ... checks.z80
On second thoughts better to change IF D > 3 to if D > 1 in the main player events in your opinion.

Allan Turvey published also this video about getting precise collisions on AGDx
https://youtu.be/imR2jK4Y1FM
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am It was as simple as killing the hero after two collisions. On that post you shared a demo using gameloop variables:
I remember it, we'd need the game embedded in AGD to implement that.

The main problem is that AGD allows you to change the width of the hit-box, but not the height. I'm not sure why this is because it should be easy to implement. Maybe it has unforseen consequences.

You can POKE the AGD code to change the vertical distance, and I think it solves the problem. Here's a snapshot with the collision detection patched. Does this solve it?

POKE 36091,11
POKE 36093,28

presumably something similar to Allan's proximity patch?
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:51 pm
You can POKE the AGD code to change the vertical distance, and I think it solves the problem. Here's a snapshot with the collision detection patched. Does this solve it?

POKE 36091,11
POKE 36093,28

presumably something similar to Allan's proximity patch?
What happened to the AY music?
As for collisions, I'm not sure if the patch works. For example I notice the same problems with the red walls from level 3.
I liked the analog approach of your demo. Besides, I think AGD has a command to detect which sprite caused a collision so you could assign different D values. For example D would be greater for the smallest sprites and lower for sprites of similar size to the hero.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:21 pm What happened to the AY music?
My snapshot must be 48k. You have the POKEs though, it's the same thing.
As for collisions, I'm not sure if the patch works. For example I notice the same problems with the red walls from level 3.
I liked the analog approach of your demo. Besides, I think AGD has a command to detect which sprite caused a collision so you could assign different D values. For example D would be greater for the smallest sprites and lower for sprites of similar size to the hero.
These POKEs are for sprite collision only. The block detection is a different bit of code, but I think strict enforcement of background collison is fine. I find the red wall level hard because I'm not used to WASD, nothing to do with collision!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm These POKEs are for sprite collision only. The block detection is a different bit of code, but I think strict enforcement of background collison is fine. I find the red wall level hard because I'm not used to WASD, nothing to do with collision!
These POKEs don't seem to work if you fall on baddies from above. Vertical distance fails when falling on yellow squares.

I know about WASD if you are not lefty :mrgreen: but if you get very close to the corners, there is a point where you get stuck to them before touching them. A typical "magnet" issue with AGD games, see Rescue Lander for example. You can avoid it by playing far from baddies and scenery.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

hikoki wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:22 pm These POKEs don't seem to work if you fall on baddies from above. Vertical distance fails when falling on yellow squares.
Please see this rzx video : https://www.dropbox.com/s/euaiuhft61nym ... l.rzx?dl=1
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Back from holydays, time to review the new games, starting with this one...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... right.html