Ad Lunam

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Ad Lunam

Post by Alessandro »

Hi folks,

here is my latest effort: Ad Lunam, a simulation/management game created with ZX-Basic inspired to the Lift Off board game and the Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space PC-DOS title. Your aim is to reach the Moon with a manned spacecraft and safely return to Earth within 1976. Although it is not completed yet, I would like to distribute it as an evaluation version because today it is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing and this is my way to celebrate it :)

This is my first ever project made with ZX-Basic, and as such, I regard it as a sort of proof of concept. I would say the game is roughly 75% ready, almost all of the main characteristics are present. It still lacks planned features, for instance:
- Sound
- Graphics, apart from the two small US/Soviet flags
- Save/Load
- Unexpected events (good or bad) at the end of each turn
- The computer AI is still rudimentary and needs to be expanded

Also, bugs may be present. So beware!

Notwithstanding this, I designed a loading screen for it, based upon the famous Time magazine "Race to the Moon" 1968 cover.

For the first time ever, I am also enclosing the sources. Please note that comments are in Italian; only captions have been translated in English. The documentation was (very quickly!) written directly in English instead. (Documentation and game in Italian will be distributed later; other languages will follow.)

Bug reporting, comments and suggestions are welcome; I'd be especially grateful if someone can find a way to optimize my listings and make them occupy less space after compiling, the game should run on a 48K Spectrum and RAM is running dangerously low...

Instructions on how to assemble the game from the sources are the README.TXT file included.

For the archive maintainers: maybe it is not needed to specify this, but I wish the game not to be included in the archive before it reaches at least version 1.0.

For subsequent versions, the downloading link remains the same. So here it is. Enjoy!

http://www.alessandrogrussu.it/zx/AdLunam.zip
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Ad Lunam

Post by Ralf »

And if somebody missed it, we have 50th anniversary of landing on the moon today. So I guess we have here
some kind of homage from Speccy community. And I understand why it was released today as version 0.1 ;)

Management games aren't my cup of tea but I checked this one and it's very nicely performed. I like real names of
pilots, spaceships, modules etc.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Wow. Not that a lunar module contains any, but this looks like a breath of fresh air. Given that detail and research are your stock-in-trade, I bet you have a LOT of background knowledge on this subject.

It'll be interesting to see how (if) you add graphics and sound to this, especially given that memory is already becoming an issue.

This will need a lot of play before I can say much about it.
For the archive maintainers: maybe it is not needed to specify this, but I wish the game not to be included in the archive before it reaches at least version 1.0.
Don't worry Ale, we're going to wait six weeks after release of v1.0 to allow for the usual 10 or so updates :P
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 pmWow. Not that a lunar module contains any, but this looks like a breath of fresh air. Given that detail and research are your stock-in-trade, I bet you have a LOT of background knowledge on this subject.
True. My interest in space exploration even predates my interest in the Spectrum and is as avid as the latter, therefore it was unavoidable that the two things would connect with each other :ugeek: The 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing was the opportunity to do it.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 pmIt'll be interesting to see how (if) you add graphics and sound to this, especially given that memory is already becoming an issue.
I have considered the possibility of completing the 48K version including the main features in it, and later release an expanded 128K version with more bells and whistles. I can fully understand now why so many management games back in the day were as deep and complex as minimal regarding to visuals and sound...

However I have not grasped how memory bank management works with ZX-Basic. I even thought about creating several distinct programs dealing with the main parts of the game, each taking care of certain functions - e.g. pilots and material management, mission control etc. - and wrapping them up into an housekeeping program, more or less as I did with my arcade titles like Sophia or Seto Taisho. This would require a precise knowledge of where ZX-Basic put things like variable values in memory, which is something I am examining these days.

For now, I would like at least to finish the 48K program. Again, it's acting as a proof of concept and learning tool to me, but I hope users will find it interesting enough as a game
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Looks very interesting!
"Materials" is a misleading term. Something like "Technologies" would work better, but it's not perfect either. Tricky...
(There are some places where a key press is enough to navigate, and others where you have a cursor and have to type a number and then ENTER.)
((It would be funny to have a TIMEX magazine logo on the loading screen.))
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Today, I did a fair bit of bug-squashing and fine tuning for all the aspects of the game that I feel are close to their definitive form. There's still lots to do however before the release of v0.2.
Kweepa wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:01 pmLooks very interesting!
Thank you! :D
Kweepa wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:01 pm"Materials" is a misleading term. Something like "Technologies" would work better, but it's not perfect either. Tricky...
Unfortunately I lack a better word to indicate all of the things you can research and use in the space programs, from rockets to EVA suits. "Materiel" is limited to military equipment so it is unsuitable. On the other hand, "materiali", for instance, is fine in Italian.
Kweepa wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:01 pm(There are some places where a key press is enough to navigate, and others where you have a cursor and have to type a number and then ENTER.)
Sure, that's when you have to enter a certain value, other than choosing from a list of options to navigate through a menu. I tried to integrate the two things in order to make the user interface as friendly as possible.
Kweepa wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:01 pm((It would be funny to have a TIMEX magazine logo on the loading screen.))
Honestly, I prefer it the way it is. :)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

It may be form affecting function, but I would break it into two menus, Programs and Tech.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I haven't experimented with the game yet, because is not my type of game, but I might give it try.

Just try to shorten that yellow guy arm.
It's so long that it hurts just to see :D
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

RMartins wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 pm I haven't experimented with the game yet, because is not my type of game, but I might give it try.
I'd suggest you to wait for v0.2, I plan to release it within this week. Bug fixes, fine tuning etc.
RMartins wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 pm Just try to shorten that yellow guy arm.
It's so long that it hurts just to see :D
You should ask Mr. Robert Grossman about that :mrgreen:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi,

after a week of hard work, Ad Lunam v0.2 is now available for download.

- Tons of bugs fixed
- Memory usage widely optimized
- Game mechanics overhauled
- Tape save/load enabled
- Opponents' AI enhanced
- User manual revised, expanded and in PDF format

Some notes about this release:

The game should now be completely playable, although there are some planned features still missing, like possible unforeseeable events at the end of the turn.

To limit memory usage, I had to cut some corners. For instance, you can recruit a maximum of 10 pilots instead of 15.

It is still completely silent, but I prefer to give priority to gameplay features. I will squeeze a few sound effects in if in the end there's some room left for them.

Tape saving and loading was a feature I wished not to put aside. I would like to underline that all of my games are designed to be played on real hardware first. Ad Lunam is the most complex of my titles to date, and giving the user the possibility of recording the game state to tape to continue it later, even using a PC as a virtual tape player/recorder, was essential to me.

Still available in English only. I had no time to write the Italian user manual, let alone start translating the whole lot into another language (Spanish would be following).

As with the previous version, the game still needs a lot of fine tuning and testing, and bugs might still be present. So beware!

Next week I have to start working on another project I promised to develop for the next few months, so work on Ad Lunam will not be as intense as it was this week. Anyway, this does not mean it will be cast aside.

Feedback is always welcome. Enjoy!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Yesterday I tried v 0.1 and I was amazed with the multitude of options available. It is a complex game indeed, in the good tradition of games like Dictator, President and a few more... It will not be the cup of tea for some people, but I´m loving it (and the thematic as well). Will prepare a full review only with the final version, 'cause I´m sure you'll find some more nice additions to include... ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Andre Leao[/mention] Glad you liked v0.1 :D Try v0.2 then, there's a lot more there, although many of the changes will be "under the hood" and evident only if you peruse the source files.

Of course I wish the game to be judged in its final version, although this does not mean that the proper release could not also be improved later, should there be any necessity to do so.

However I can say, even at this time, that I am satisfied at the result. Again, it is a proof of concept essentially - to proof that a game of such complexity and detail could be made for the humble Spectrum. In addition to that, I wanted to have a try at something completely different from what I had done so far. As always, I like variety :lol:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Alessandro, when training the pilots, option 1 has no name (2 is Eva, 3 is Docking, ...).
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Thanks [mention]Andre Leao[/mention], try it again now, the issue you reported should be fixed.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Thanks, meanwhile prepared a draft of the review. Will only release it you when you're ready.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

All right, please report any other issues you might find. Of course everybody else is invited to do the same :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Version 0.3 is here!

What's new:
  • Choose one out of three difficulty levels at the start. Parameters affected are: funds, prestige, fund multiplier factor, mission control handicap
  • Chance of random events at the end of each turn. Some will need certain prerequisites to happen, e.g. available pilots
  • Italian version now available
  • Various bugfixes and code optimizations
The game is now close to its definitive form. Again, memory left is still very scarce; I guess graphics and sound will be postponed to a prospective 128K version. What is needed now is a lot of fine tuning. This can only be done through playing sessions. Let's see what happens next.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Work for v1.0 still goes on, after a long pause due to "real life" matters. Code has been further optimized, more fine tuning has been performed on game mechanics and several more bugs have been squashed. It is now being developed with the latest (1.9.6) version of ZX-Basic.

Optimization created some space for a few beeps and short tunes, i.e. the beginning of each one of the two national anthems, which is played at game start, when the player reaches a milestone first, and if the game is won.

Furthermore, game and manual are now almost completely translated into Spanish. Here are some screenshots for our Castilian-speaking folks:

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Finally, exactly five months after the first announcement, version 1.0 is here! As promised, game and documentation are available in three languages: Italiano, English and Español. Source files included. Download the whole package from the usual address.

I worked hard to correct bugs and make some other adjustments, the game is now playable and completable. However, given its complexity, there could still be some imperfections. Please report any feedback in this thread.

Enjoy!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi folks,

some little inconsistencies in the English version have now been fixed. Please download the game again.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oh dear. The Politburo are not going to like this...

This is really impressive. I'm only at the manned earth orbit stage, but it's already clear there's going to be a scary amount of planning needed to progress. A 128K version with graphics sounds great (especially for a more dramatic playout of the missions), but that sounds like a huge & challenging BASIC program.

Either way, this 48K version is great. Bloody well done Ale!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Thank you so much Dave :D

A 128K version with some graphics and AY sound would be great indeed. However I have other plans at the moment, since you read the annual you already know what they are :) Maybe later this year?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Another "silent update". Translation errors and some not completely deleted mission messages in the Spanish version have been fixed.

In addition to that, an outdated information in the manuals regarding the number of turns for pilot training has been corrected.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

GLENN is dead. He did not even make it to orbit. He vaporized right on the launchpad.
I hope I will not kill ARMSTRONG before landing on Moon. Actually, is it possible to fail just because you killed all your pilots ?
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Unfortunately John Glenn suffered the fate that historically befell to the crew of the Apollo 1, which included Virgil Grissom and Ed White, present in the US roster in the game.

In abstract, there is nothing in the game mechanics that prevents all of your pilots from being killed. Such occurrances are extremely rare anyway, so that the game does not end up being impossible to complete. In order to send a crew on the Moon, you need at least two pilots, should you choose the two-seat capsule equipped with a docking module, an A-type service module and a one-seat lunar module, which by the way was the historical Soviet approach.