Spectrum namedrops...

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
polomint
Berk

Re: Spectrum namedrops...

Post by polomint » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Back in 2000ish I discovered that I do not literally round the corner from none other than Woody, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
4 x

Seven.FFF
Berk

Post by Seven.FFF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 am

Used to live near gasman and spud, then when I realised it I moved away.
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog
threetwosevensixseven.com

PeteProdge
Dizzy

Post by PeteProdge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Have met gasman on one of those old comp.sys.sinclair meets in north London around 2003 or 2004, something like that.

Happily dealt with a customer complaint from Jon Ritman while I was working at an online technology retailer. (He was in the right, my colleagues did not think so, *sighs*)

Using RealProducer - which gives you an idea of how old this anecdote is - I captured the bits of E4's Thumb Candy that had Matthew Smith in it, and forwarded these RealPlayer clips on to his friend who had asked me to record them especially for Matthew.

Sat in between the Oliver Twins at Spectrum35, where I also met Jim Bagley and was in spitting distance of Jonathan Cauldwell and Rick Dickinson.

Now and again I speak with Iain Lee live on his late night talkRADIO show, had a chat about the ZX Spectrum days about a month ago when I was last on.

I'm friends with comedian Jon Pearson, who is one half of the Silicon Nights YouTube channel. I'm also friends with another comedian, Laura Monmoth, who put together the LGBTQZX show.

Back in 1983 I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Ryan Lambie, who would go on to become a DenOfGeek.com writer, penning quite a few articles on old ZX Spectrum games. I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
0 x

PeteProdge
Dizzy

Post by PeteProdge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm

And just half an hour after posting that, my Facebook comment to a certain figure on the Spectrum scene is screenshot and used as a basis for today's Register article on a certain piece of Spectrum-related hardware. Blimey.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm

EDIT - moved to miscellaneous, some idiot started this thread in Brand New Software.
PeteProdge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm
Happily dealt with a customer complaint from Jon Ritman while I was working at an online technology retailer. (He was in the right, my colleagues did not think so, *sighs*)
It sounds like you did ask "are you the Jon Ritman?"

To be fair, I'd probably side with a Speccy hero whatever the issue was. "Broken coffee cup holder on your PC sir? absolutely, I'd be head over heels to send you a new one".
PeteProdge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm
And just half an hour after posting that, my Facebook comment to a certain figure on the Spectrum scene is screenshot and used as a basis for today's Register article on a certain piece of Spectrum-related hardware. Blimey.
Cripes! The only bits of facebook I get to see are things kicking off.
0 x

PeteProdge
Dizzy

Post by PeteProdge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm
EDIT - moved to miscellaneous, some idiot started this thread in Brand New Software.
PeteProdge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm
It sounds like you did ask "are you the Jon Ritman?
Heh, didn't need to, it was all through email and I could tell it was him!
R-Tape wrote:
To be fair, I'd probably side with a Speccy hero whatever it was. "Broken coffee cup holder on your PC sir, absolutely, I'd be head over heels to send you a new one".
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but he was actually in the right and I was one of the few people in the department for whom technology is a passion.
R-Tape wrote:
PeteProdge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm
Cripes! The only bits of facebook I get to see are things kicking off.
Yeah, although I'm a rarity in trying to keep things civil, as evidenced in that screenshot.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm
Heh, didn't need to, it was all through email and I could tell it was him!
That "Jon Ritman, Legendary ZX-Spectrum Coder" signature was the giveaway.
0 x