Aznar, the Sport Star

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Aznar, the Sport Star

Post by Andre Leao »

A DT Decathlon clone released... Enjoy!

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... ncado.html
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Aznar, the Sport Star

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

WTF??? :lol:
MrBlaz
Dizzy

Post by MrBlaz »

No way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

What about Zapatero.
Patxi
Drutt

Post by Patxi »

Hahaha!
It could also be Tom Sellek with that big a stash :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is great fun! And BASIC too, top stuff ivan!

I love the idea of fine tuning the cadence, rather than outright button hammering. The stopping for air during the swim, and pacing yourself to avoid cramp in the 800m are great additions.

Here's a summary of the instructions:
-use 1 and 0 to scroll through the menus.
-you only need to define one key in "CONTROLES", it's the action key for stopping for breath, long-jumping or throwing the javelin.
-ENTRENAR is practice a chosen event, COMPETAR is well, enter the competition.
-The 100 metres: button mash any keys, just not the same key every time. Go slow and steady, and you will see your pace increase.
-Javelin, try to attain a high speed, release as low as possible at a low angle
-Long jump, similar to the javelin
-Swim. Hmm, very hard to master. I haven't got near qualifying in this yet.
-800m. Slow and steady, cyan to purple zone, try to finish with the cramp bar nearly full.

My bests so far:

100 metres: 10.24 (might have been 10.42)
Javlein: 93.2m
Long jump: 8.94m
Swim: 47.60
800m: 126.2

(Oh and why a previous Spanish prime minister? :? )
IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

Thank you so much for appreciating this game.

All the tips for the different events are OK; let me make some clarifications:

-In Javelin and Long jump, the optimal angle is 45º; lower or higher angles achieve shorter distances.
-In swimming, you can hit "breath" at any time, you don´t need to wait the air to be empty, this way you will preserve your speed more easily.

About your qualifications, these are not so bad, but be honest... Are you trying to compete before training enough...? Please, remember that your mission is to be a good personal trainer, so do your job profesionally...

Aznar, as Spain´s Prime Minister, starred some funny moments during his mandate; he usually liked to show off his physical fitness as a sportsman (mainly running). When he finished his stage as Prime Minister, he became a character of the gossip magazines, and one most famous epdisode was when he was photographed at the beach showing spectacular abs... (the loading screen is one of those photos), and this was a trending topic for long time. That is why Spanish people found this character and the plot so funny for this game. (Google "Aznar abdominales" images...) When he was asked about his body shape, he declared that he used to do 2,000 abs pushups per day... so the fun started again...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

IvanBasic wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 am About your qualifications, these are not so bad, but be honest... Are you trying to compete before training enough...?
Probably, but I said "so far". The swim and 800m times are from training, because I crash out of the competition due to being rubbish at swimming. Are the gold medal times your own personal bests Ivan?
Please, remember that your mission is to be a good personal trainer, so do your job profesionally...
Fear not - I will not let ex-prime minister Aznar down!
IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:39 am
IvanBasic wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 am About your qualifications, these are not so bad, but be honest... Are you trying to compete before training enough...?
Probably, but I said "so far". The swim and 800m times are from training, because I crash out of the competition due to being rubbish at swimming. Are the gold medal times your own personal bests Ivan?
Please, remember that your mission is to be a good personal trainer, so do your job profesionally...
Fear not - I will not let ex-prime minister Aznar down!
No, those are records easy to beat with some practice, so the player can be happy to be on the billboard soon; my marks are something like 9.20 in 100m, 99.20 in javaline, 8.90 in long jump, 28.00 in swimming and 122.0 in 800m, and a total score after 3 rounds of 220000 pts (without plus score for training, just for competing); and this was after hundreds of goes for testing the code; so your first results are quite good!

I am sure you will help Aznar to show off his abs again!!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Aznar just managed around 28 seconds in a swim, so I think he's nearly ready to compete (the blood transfusion and Georgian anabolics really helped).

This is very impressive for BASIC. Because I've been concentrating on the power bars, I haven't thought much yet about how you're giving the effect of scrolling etc. It certainly looks good.

Did the slowness of BASIC force you to choose a finely tuned cadence, rather than rapid button mashing? If yes, then the limitations of BASIC have actually benefited the game.
IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

The BASIC code can not detect doping, so feel free to use whatever trick you think is useful to make Aznar to bright again...

The scroll technique was learned and tested in a previous game of my own, Brain 8 (which had no repercusion); the magic word for scrolling is LPRINT.

And yes, since each frame lasts 200-300 milisecs, the option is the cadence; I couldn´t find a way to manage fast key detection, having many things to manage in each loop (display, Aznar, bars, scroll, and logical operations); but thanks to PEEK 23560, the cadence can work quite accurely and makes the game playable (this was my main concern, if players would find this solution playable).
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:16 am Did the slowness of BASIC force you to choose a finely tuned cadence, rather than rapid button mashing? If yes, then the limitations of BASIC have actually benefited the game.
I have played it in my phone, with the touch screen is really hard to run!
IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

This user achieved 8.88 seconds in 100m sprint, check how he did it using the phone:

https://twitter.com/javiventisca/status ... wsrc%5Etfw

I tested it in my phone using Spectaculator and I can pass all events and rounds, it is true that it is a bit different than playing with a keyboard, but it is playable as well.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I have done 9.14 on my pc keyboard ;)
IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

Andre Leao wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm I have done 9.14 on my pc keyboard ;)
I guess we will have to implant two categories for world records, keyboard category, and phone category.

You have, to my knowledge, the 100m WR in "keyboard category", 9.14s.

The WR in "phone category" belongs to JQL (javiventisca on tweeter), 8.88s.

Let´s see what goes on.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Andre Leao wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm I have done 9.14 on my pc keyboard ;)

:|
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

THIS THREAD HAS GOT THE BEN JONHSON SEAL OF APPROVAL(TM)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

IvanBasic wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:26 pm This user achieved 8.88 seconds in 100m sprint, check how he did it using the phone:

https://twitter.com/javiventisca/status ... wsrc%5Etfw

I tested it in my phone using Spectaculator and I can pass all events and rounds, it is true that it is a bit different than playing with a keyboard, but it is playable as well.
Thanks for answering. I'll try again...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

eheheh, I always peed my pants. Hope it's not going to be analyzed... :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Funny game.. :lol:

Seem to be crap at some events and OK at others. Got a bit better after realising you don't need to pound the keyboard.

At least Sr Aznar seems to be enjoying himself...

My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

On bread and water alone.

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

We will have to make a competition :)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

And now the review. Will you beat my records? ;)

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... -star.html