Rodmän from 2018

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Rodmän from 2018

Post by R-Tape »

This game from last year was mentioned in Andre's Planeta Sinclair annual, and I forgot to add it to ZXDB (next time). Just thought I'd give it a thread because it's a pretty polished game. Pacman with bombs.

It's been ported to just about every 8bit machine there is. A slightly pricey cassette available here, which I'm considering, but they've made a demo version available.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Rodmän from 2018

Post by Alessandro »

"Out on tape for just about any 8bit you can think of (even the Spectrum!)" Why "even the Spectrum"? We are talking about one of the most widespread, cloned and appreciated 8-bit home computers ever, not the Mattel Aquarius. Tsk. :roll:

Other than that, the game shows a simple idea but neatly executed, a sort of cross between Pac-Man and Bomberman. I guess that when you have to port a game even across the VIC 20, you cannot make things very complex ;)
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

The game itself is nice, but I found the controls slightly awkward. There's no auto-movement, and pressing multiple direction keys prioritises horizontal movement, which makes turning corners more fiddly than it should be. The sound is also slightly lacking.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Nice game with nice graphics that everybody seemed to overlook.

It has very tiny sprites ( 8x8 pixels) but they work surprisingly well.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Misfit, the author is already in the archive with Pilot Attack. I remember when he appeared a few years back with that impressive scroller. Clearly he's an all-rounder, but I assume he's a C64 or Amstrad guy.