Knight Hero

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: Knight Hero

Post by hikoki »

Cannot collisions be readjusted by custom scripts? I have not played with AGD yet so I don't know if it'd be possible to do things like:
if collision.distance >8 then collision = False
or maybe
if collision.happens=0 then/
/hero.y = hero.y-4/collision.increment(1)/
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 am AGD was updated to allow the user to set thinner sprites, down to about 10px I think (on phone so can't check) and this game utilises that (12px). It doesn't allow adjustment of height collision though. Jonathan can't keep adding features to AGD forever but I think Y collision adjustment is worth considering.
I agree he can't continue adding features forever, but he should (or rather, I wish he could) have fixed the collisions right form the start. I recognise the complexity of collision detection but it is a thing that really does make or break a gaming experience.

Anyway, thanks to your pokes I completed it just now. Really charming little game once you get past minor the problems with the engine :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:05 pm Cannot collisions be readjusted by custom scripts? I have not played with AGD yet so I don't know if it'd be possible to do things like:
if collision.distance >8 then collision = False
or maybe
if collision.happens=0 then/
/hero.y = hero.y-4/collision.increment(1)/
It could but it would be faffy for most AGD users. Cumbersome XY checks would have to replace the simple & versatile COLLISION command.
Spud wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:11 pm I recognise the complexity of collision detection but it is a thing that really does make or break a gaming experience.
I thought this would be an easy one to implement actually, but the AGD 4.7 manual below shows that Jon has already considered this and chose not to put it in.

You won't want to count the gap as part of the sprite collision detection, so you can reduce this distance to a lower pixel count. Bear in mind that this setting only affects horizontal distances, and defines to all collision detection between sprites.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Cannot you just count a number of collisions before killing the hero?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 pm Cannot you just count a number of collisions before killing the hero?
Good idea. It could lead to inconsistent depths of penetration though, if a sprite is falling it could be 4 or 8 pix into a sprite before setting a counter. IMO having overly forgiving collision occasionally is much better than always unfair, so in practise would work well. We're getting off topic and this is probably something for the AGD forum but I've had a play here.

Would still be best and easiest just to have adjustable X & Y collision in the AGD designer.

If you're reading Jaime, sorry to waffle on so much about the collision checks, it's a great game :D
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

funny square, could it hold a 'izx' or 'fzx' block?

if AGD is modulair, maybe a 500bytes block is usable for "own use", and then you can try to make a little special routine there
i didnt know there is a forum about.
where can i find it?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

C.Born wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 am funny square, could it hold a 'izx' or 'fzx' block?

if AGD is modulair, maybe a 500bytes block is usable for "own use", and then you can try to make a little special routine there
i didnt know there is a forum about.
where can i find it?
There's plenty of free space available in contended memory for patches like this. Here's the forum:

http://arcadegamedesigner.proboards.com
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

Looks good,
a bit pitty that agd is not downloadable without becomiong a 'member' , yet another pasword to remember.
i guess its about being carfull or some.
they/he maybe could make a download link on the homepage and keep protecting the forum links??
its not very inviting to click on a link after reading all and then first must be a member..

but i got it now from egghead
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

R-tape's experiment works quite well? Imho forgiving collisions allow for a harder difficulty based on well thought level design.

@C.Born you can also download AGD from the author's site: http://www.spanglefish.com/egghead/inde ... eid=397755
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm R-tape's experiment works quite well? Imho forgiving collisions allow for a harder difficulty based on well thought level design.
Too forgiving at a second look, better to change IF D > 3 to if D > 1 in the main player events IMO.