19 new games at Yandex competition!!!!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Manic Miner

19 new games at Yandex competition!!!!

Post by Andre Leao »

4 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Re: 19 new games at Yandex competition!!!!

Post by stupidget »

There are some stunning games on that list. Looks like I know what I'll be playing on my week off :D
1 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

Lots of great stuff here!
Dift! and Valley of Rains seem to to particularly interesting and polished.
Cant wait to get back home :)
2 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I concur re Valley of Rains. I also really enjoyed Yazzie and Hardy. Valley of Rains is an obvious homage to the Savage series, which I liked a lot back in the day.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Just posted in the other thread about my disappointment in not being able to vote in this (from a social media point of view anyway), it was about time for me to give back to the community instead of just drive-by posting witticisms here and there. ;)

Anyway, just spent a few hours playing (almost all, can't run the TRD for some reason and some just fell through due to my pathetic knowledge of Russian) and it seems like I'm in broad agreement with most people here. The standouts for me are Valley of Rain and Yazzie, Space Monsters meet theHardy and Hunt Buck the Nuclear Defence. Valley of rain is incredibly playable and the graphics are gorgeous and Yazzie just runs so beurifully smoothly. Pre-ZU is quite enjoyable too, and the presentation of Drift is second to none, though I can't get a hang of the drifting mechanic yet, which seems like it might be essential to prgression.. Talking of which, does anyone else find QAOPM a bit uncomfortable on their pc keyboard? I'm surprised redefinable keys wasn't an option on the majority of the titles..?
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 pm
does anyone else find QAOPM a bit uncomfortable on their pc keyboard? I'm surprised redefinable keys wasn't an option on the majority of the titles..?
I’ve never liked QAOP, even back in the day. Redefinable keys must be an option in any game. Moreover, all the controls should be present on the screen before the player selects the keys. There was at least one title in the competition, which displayed them one at a time. I had to redefine the controls a couple of times because of a coupe of unusual options (i.e. jump vs. select vs. fire, etc.).

Still, a surprisingly strong selection of games, I must admit. Very refreshing to see. Most, as I far as I can tell, are hand-coded (as opposed to using game designer software).
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

Valley of Rains is incredible. Looks like not a Spectrum game, like something running on a much more powerful platform.

And it's actually very intense but playable and accessible to an average mortal at the same time.

I would never expect in my life to see on Spectrum a Savage style game better than Savage.
0 x

g0blinish
Microbot

Post by g0blinish »

big mistake is absence of an author's description

TR-DOS, .tap, map
0 x

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Alone in a dark maze is possibly my favourite, but it's very badly written. If the author had just offset the maze by one character square vertically then you'd not have to guess where you can go down. Other than that it's pretty good fun :)

Needs more colour too.

...and don't play the games on the online emulators. JSSpeccy has no sound here, and QAOP has the worst controls in the history of bad controls. Use an emulator.
0 x

g0blinish
Microbot

Post by g0blinish »

if you ever play in Atari XL "Preliminary Monty 16K", you'd realize how to move: keys "up" anf "right" pressed etc.
0 x