Woot 2019 Tape Magazine

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Woot 2019 Tape Magazine

Post by R-Tape »

Woot 2019 is here!

Your best bet is to download the >>>>WOOT BUNDLE HERE<<<<, that's got everything together.

Magazine:
Woot info page
Desert Island SCREEN$
Jeremy ZXMan's speccy quiz

Games:
5 rings (If the tap file loads then it should run) (yes... that's the name)
Cheesy chase: Moritz and the mildewed moon
CHRISMAGIC DOT
CracFac
Jet Set Willy – 12 room minigame
Joe Blob
Sploids
Sprouty
The day before the day the Earth stood still

Truth be told, the scrollers feel very flat without AY music, but I don't think the rest of the mag misses it at all—quite the opposite. I'd recommend putting something appropriate on in the background and pretending. Sorreee.

Thanks to everyone that contributed, or just thought about it, or did nothing at all. Pass the sherry, blood clotting cream and mince pies—it's ZXMAS. Woot!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Woot 2019 Tape Magazine

Post by PeterJ »

Woot!, Woot! Thank you!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

By the way - if you're playing Sprouty, play the version from this page rather than the bundle. It has a longer and more varied AY track. I must have mixed my files up somehow.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Beat the world Booty record! Woot! :lol:

Oh, and Sedgeload™ is cool.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oh and I forgot to mention — same as usual, navigate the magazine with keys O & P.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Wootderful!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Reviews are ready :)
Atprez
Drutt

Post by Atprez »

Woot woot Woot !!!😍😍
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I haven't had chance to properly try the games until now.

Enjoying Sploids. Hi-Score 3175 so far. It seems the best strategy is to take every available position and only risk a colour match if you have a nearly clear board. Though, there are times that it feels the RND seed is destined to hand your arse to you no matter what you do. It looks like it's 200 points for a full match, and 40 for any other combination.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Don't forget, fire button uses up a coin to clear out one random panel if you're stuck. The game could have done with instructions as that particular function may be easily missed.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Just wanted to show my appreciation for Sprouty! :-) Fantastic game, and djnzx48's music is so amazing! Absolutely love it! Well done chaps! :-)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Woot! Great stuff!

The ZXDB may want to mention that Sploids is inspired by Quartet/Assembloids. Had a quick go and found out that you can be dealt impossible parts, for an example, an upper-right part when all upper-right corners are already filled. Can't remember the original doing that (albeit I haven't played it in ages).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hell's bells—Joe Blob has proper oldschool levels of cruelty. Time limits and a 'higher/lower' guess the letter between each level. Isn't it impossible to work it out every time with just 4 guesses?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ersh wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:43 pm Had a quick go and found out that you can be dealt impossible parts, for an example, an upper-right part when all upper-right corners are already filled. Can't remember the original doing that (albeit I haven't played it in ages).
I hadn't played the original, but just checked youtube and it looks like you're right.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Ersh wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:43 pm Woot! Great stuff!

The ZXDB may want to mention that Sploids is inspired by Quartet/Assembloids. Had a quick go and found out that you can be dealt impossible parts, for an example, an upper-right part when all upper-right corners are already filled. Can't remember the original doing that (albeit I haven't played it in ages).
Trying to make it different. If the difference makes it significantly less fun to play I can change it. Having not played it for a long time and now looking at it with fresh eyes, it is probably too harsh.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Fantastic work Mr Tapeworm..! :D

I saw this announcement but had to rush out to do my Xmas shopping earlier (I know fellas, I'm a day early) so I got a move on, hurried home and loaded it up.

Have so far gone through the magazine, the desert island section and the quiz. Particularly enjoyed the 'text adventure simulator' (WTF is an Engadine..??). Will be a bit busy the next few days but will eventually get through the games. :)

Did pretty crappily on the quiz: :oops:

My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

I got 14% - cretin :)

Great quiz!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Spud wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:13 pm Trying to make it different. If the difference makes it significantly less fun to play I can change it. Having not played it for a long time and now looking at it with fresh eyes, it is probably too harsh.
It's just kind of unfair as you can't avoid it. I think one of the reasons the original game was so addictive was; even when it became hectic, when you lost it was your own fault. It was fair and gave you the incentive to have at it again and so on.

It looks bloody marvellous though! :)
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Thanks. Sprouty is the CHOTY. Chrismagic Dot is satisfying to play. The mag left me as I was to die tomorrow. I say farewell to you just in case :? :lol:
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Thanks for the effort and time put to do the Woot, Dave and all :)

Probably it is not properly recognized, but this takes a lot of time and energy , plus it creates a special Xmas spirit that brings us back to the 80s :)

A lot of funny scenes, memes and humour, a handful of new games, what a great way to end the year :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks a lot for the mag!

I really like a sense of humour and believe me, I'm from a different country, speak another language, and yet find it all very funny.
It's neither too geeky and nerdy nor not geeky enough, it's just right.

I'll be trying the games now and I yet didn't check all the games from the Russian compo. It'll be busy Xmas with a strong Spectrum flavour :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The quiz is hard but very funny... I'm a plank! :roll:

I still haven't played all the games but they're a true Xmas gift. Congrats to all the people to code them!

And thanks for the mag and all the stuff. I'm really enjoying it.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Thanks for this. I was terrible at the quiz and even got my own question wrong! (The one about Drut).
Sprouty is brilliant. And that mini JSW is already driving me nuts.
A few things crashed on loading though on +2 emulation. Are they 48K?
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

(the great) Sprouty and JSW mini... omg, where have my platformer skills gone?! The 15 year old me would be ashamed of my performance today!

Great work R-Tape. A really entertaining package. Thank you.
CLEAR 23855
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Great work!
I had a lot of fun with the magazine.
Thank you.