Woot 2019 Tape Magazine

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Woot 2019 Tape Magazine

Post by Ralf »

I tried the test and with 28% I'm a village idiot ;)

But I don't feel offended. The questions were interesting and I many cases I had a feeling that I just had it on the tip of my tongue.
Parser was also not very generous, For example it didn't accept "David Thorpe" as the name of the man.

If it was A) B) C) D) kind of test then probably all of us would score higher.

Thanks for the test, Now I'll wait a few weeks and try it again :)
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Ralf wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:28 am Parser was also not very generous, For example it didn't accept "David Thorpe" as the name of the man.

If it was A) B) C) D) kind of test then probably all of us would score higher.
2% better than I Ralf!

True about the parser, I lost out on FD Thorpe too, though I knew the answer, and putting spaces between words, even though correct got me wrong. Multiple choice next year please, I hate feeling like a loser! ;)

Also, as a Brit in his mid 40's (the local target demographic I suspect), I have never, ever heard of Engadine before - sounds French?. That adventure spoof summed up 8 bit adventures to me, I got far better at adventures in the point and click era. /blasphemy

The rest of it? Woot was a hoot! Thank you R-Tape.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:42 pm Woot was a hoot!
By my estimate, it was a hoot and a half.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

That was brilliant, by far the best yet. whoever came up with that irritating desert island text entry game was a genius! It brought back so many frustrating memories....thanks everyone, splendid effort.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Dammit! I thought I covered that question, it has 9 possible answers:
db 'F. DAVID THORPE',255,'F DAVID THORPE',255,'F.D. THORPE',255,'F. THORPE',255,'F THORPE',255,'FD THORPE',255
db 'FREDERICK DAVID THORPE',255,'FRED THORPE',255,'FREDERICK THROPE',255
There are others I expected to cause problems, and some I think I was too generous with, e.g. Sabre Wulf allows these:
db 'SABREWULF',255,'SABRE WULF',255,'SABREWOLF',255,'SABERWULF',255,'SABER WOLF',255
DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:42 pm Also, as a Brit in his mid 40's (the local target demographic I suspect), I have never, ever heard of Engadine before - sounds French?. That adventure spoof summed up 8 bit adventures to me, I got far better at adventures in the point and click era. /blasphemy
Sometimes one gets lost in a creative haze; I have no idea how engadine popped into my head. I had it in a café once and it was dead nice.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I cannot read the magazine now as I am on holiday abroad these days, but from what I can see another great issue has been put together 8-) Congratulations to everyone involved, with a special thank you to Dave for starting it all, and let's celebrate the establishment of a Spectral tradition in the 21st century :D
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Just checked it out and it looks like another great collection. As well as the mag itself, so far I've enjoyed the creepypasta-esque '5 rings' and Papa Noel. I was particularly impressed by Ralf's New Year picture.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

djnzx48 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 am I was particularly impressed by Ralf's New Year picture.
Me too. Great piece of art, and a terrifying snapshot of a typical British town centre on a Saturday night! Though to be fair New Year's Eve is especially... ebullient.

Perhaps one of the more challenging SCREEN$ for compression too. ZX7 came in at 6206 bytes, and ZX7 + RCS 5563 (though in this case I didn't compress, for paging related reasons).
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:50 pm
djnzx48 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 am I was particularly impressed by Ralf's New Year picture.
Me too. Great piece of art, and a terrifying snapshot of a typical British town centre on a Saturday night! Though to be fair New Year's Eve is especially... ebullient.

Perhaps one of the more challenging SCREEN$ for compression too. ZX7 came in at 6206 bytes, and ZX7 + RCS 5563 (though in this case I didn't compress, for paging related reasons).
Okay, raise your hand if you are a fan of https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualUK ..? I just came from there to here and that's one of their theme pictures (the original camera shot, not this brilliant rendition). I realise it's available from other sources, but a good time to ask!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:25 pm Okay, raise your hand if you are a fan of https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualUK ..? I just came from there to here and that's one of their theme pictures (the original camera shot, not this brilliant rendition). I realise it's available from other sources, but a good time to ask!
It's new to me. Probably won't make it my homepage! Seems to be bite-sized chunks of wibble about anything from sprouty farts to ornithology.

Actually, that's Woot 2020 sorted then.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I was particularly impressed by Ralf's New Year picture.
Thanks!

And if somebody doesn't know what it's all about here's the original :)

I'm definitely more into making games than drawing pictures but when I saw it I immediately had a feeling I'd like to recreate it on Spectrum. Just neeeded a few years to complete the job ;)

And this picture became so famous and viral that it even appeared in Polish internet. I don't remember exactly when I saw it first time but it must have been some Polish news website.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:13 pm Actually, that's Woot 2020 sorted then.
A lot of us looking forward to it already!

What happened to the Viz-like 'top tips' section?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Ralf wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:18 pm
I was particularly impressed by Ralf's New Year picture.
Thanks!

And if somebody doesn't know what it's all about here's the original :)

I'm definitely more into making games than drawing pictures but when I saw it I immediately had a feeling I'd like to recreate it on Spectrum. Just neeeded a few years to complete the job ;)

And this picture became so famous and viral that it even appeared in Polish internet. I don't remember exactly when I saw it first time but it must have been some Polish news website.
Thanks Ralf. So proud! :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:38 pm A lot of us looking forward to it already!

I don't understand - it was on the Tape Magazine itself: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=35139, you press "T" to scroll through the tips.

I've got a horrible feeling that a lot of people have not actually seen the magazine, and thought the 'Stonehenge scroller' was the end (when it's just the intro). I failed to mention on the tape that you need to press O+P to scroll through the magazine. Could people spread the word that you should press "P" during the Stonehenge scroller to page forward.

Is that what's happened?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:13 pm
DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:38 pm A lot of us looking forward to it already!

I failed to mention on the tape that you need to press O+P to scroll through the magazine. Could people spread the word that you should press "P" during the Stonehenge scroller to page forward.

Is that what's happened?
Yep, looks like it, will check again over weekend if no-one else gets there first. I can't quite put my exact finger on why I thought there might be more than I could get to, but I did.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:16 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:13 pm I failed to mention on the tape that you need to press O+P to scroll through the magazine. Could people spread the word that you should press "P" during the Stonehenge scroller to page forward.

Is that what's happened?
Yep, looks like it, will check again over weekend if no-one else gets there first. I can't quite put my exact finger on why I thought there might be more than I could get to, but I did.
It wasn't obvious but a bit of keyboard whacking soon helped me figure out there was more.

Absolutely fantastic work Mr Tape all in all, and also to everyone who contributed. The Woot magazine is an absolute Christmas treat. Standout moment for me is the Desert Island section, especially the text adventure.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Hard to work out that was 't' and not an up arrow. Should probably have used a capital 'T' in the instructions!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

R-Tape wrote:By the way "Jeremy ZXMan" is a (very clever) pun on "Jeremy Paxman". He's famous in the UK as a journalist, well-known now as the presenter of the quiz 'University Challenge'.
Reminds me of a script I sold in the 80s about an extra-terrestrial using a small dog and Spectrum games to abduct children. Benji, ZX and the Alien Nonce. Dunno what became of it...

(I'm JOKING). :o :D
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:13 pm I've got a horrible feeling that a lot of people have not actually seen the magazine, and thought the 'Stonehenge scroller' was the end (when it's just the intro). I failed to mention on the tape that you need to press O+P to scroll through the magazine. Could people spread the word that you should press "P" during the Stonehenge scroller to page forward.

Is that what's happened?
I'm sorry to say that that's exactly what I did, the first time.
CLEAR 23855
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:29 am I'm sorry to say that that's exactly what I did, the first time.
Nooooo! Going by this thread and a PM, quite a lot of people have mistaken the magazine for a crappy mute scroller. I can't believe I've squandered so much work with a silly oversight like that.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, e.g. on facebook, could people pass the message on that there is actually a written magazine with reviews, stories and demos after the scroller.

I hope elmundospectrum don't mind me linking to their animated gif. Here is some of the other magazine content. I'll change the tape for the next update, but for now:

PRESS P DURING THE STONEHENGE SCROLLER, THEN O & P TO PAGE BACK/FORWARD

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I've got a horrible feeling that a lot of people have not actually seen the magazine, and thought the 'Stonehenge scroller' was the end (when it's just the intro). I failed to mention on the tape that you need to press O+P to scroll through the magazine. Could people spread the word that you should press "P" during the Stonehenge scroller to page forward.
Yes, that was a tough moment for me. It was not obvious that you have to press 'P'. Actually I watched all the scroller and then nothing happened so I started banging on some random keys until by chance I pressed 'P' :)
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Same method worked for me too Ralf! I tried S and Q for start and quit, then space bar and Enter. I eventually went for the old QA first and then tried OP
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

An updated version of Woot! has been installed. In this one there is a "use OP" message, "t" is changed to "T", and the 'stonehenge' scroller automatically moves on so you can't miss the magazine. Same download links as the first post.

Can people pass the message on please. Sorry for the oversight.

Also...
Spoiler
In case nobody has spotted yet, Desert Island SCREEN$ has two possible endings depending on your black mirror choice of cereal.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm An updated version of Woot! has been installed. In this one there is a "use OP" message, "t" is changed to "T", and the 'stonehenge' scroller automatically moves on so you can't miss the magazine. Same download links as the first post.

Can people pass the message on please. Sorry for the oversight.

Also...
Spoiler
In case nobody has spotted yet, Desert Island SCREEN$ has two possible endings depending on your black mirror choice of cereal.
This is great. And I completely *didn't* spot that thing that you've spoilered. That's great.
Spoiler
("oh my god, it's full of frosties")
CLEAR 23855
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Finally managed to go through the whole magazine. Again, great job and congratulations to everyone involved, what a great way to end the year :D

At the end of the quiz I scored 63% with several "close enough" answers, at least now I know that I am a buffoon :mrgreen:

The desert island section in particular was hilarious, and even enhanced my knowledge - before reading it, I believed that the Engadine was a region in the Swiss Alps. Now I know that it is also a cake. Well, you learn something every day :P