Tetris Championship Edition

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Tetris Championship Edition

Post by Andre Leao »

Is this going to be the best Tetris clone ever? There is already a .sna, but soon will be released a .tap with some new extras...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... etris.html
michellekg
Drutt

Re: Tetris Championship Edition

Post by michellekg »

Thanks, Andre! As someone who helped developer (TheShich) a little with this game I want to add some information.

Tetris Championship Edition is the mod of Tetris 2 (by František Fuka) with one main goal - make this excellent game more suitable for modern players who already played NES Tetris, Tetris 99 etc. There are new scoring system, new colors, new controls and lots of other improvements.

Here's a list of some of changes:

* you can hold left or right key and piece will move continuously in that direction (you had to press these keys many times before);
* soft drop implemented;
* you can now rotate pieces to the right (previously it was only to the left);
* accordingly, Redefine Keys screen has been changed;
* the randomizer has been greatly improved, now the same frequency of all pieces is guaranteed;
* scoring system has been changed: now it’s much more profitable to clean several lines at once, especialy 4;
* the level increases when a certain amount of lines is cleared (previously it did not change at all);
* the number of levels in the classic mode has been increased: earlier, only levels 1-8 were available, now it's 0-9 by default and 10-19 with DROP key pressed;
* theoretically the number of levels is not limited;
* two tracks by František Fuka was replaced by his another two tracks;
* in Tetris 2 mode all levels have been redone (now there are 50 of them, but there will be more), and this mode was named Puzzle;
* cheat mode for Puzzle was added;
* Normal Tetris mode was renamed to Classic;
* now you can listen to music along with 48k effects (you had to choose one or another before);
* colors of the pieces have been changed according to modern Tetris Guidelines (although orange was replaced with white, because there is no orange on the ZX Spectrum);
* pieces has texture now (only one for now, but there will be more);
* Puzzle mode now has harder levels limited by a timer (in the original, there was simply a transition to a new level if time was out).

Image Image Image

And here's plans for future:

* display next piece;
* add line counter;
* make the transition to a new level more visually noticeable;
* add new tunes;
* new textures on the pieces;
* show who in the lead in Classic mode;
* add another 50 levels for the Puzzle mode;
* make it possible to switch to classic levels;
* somehow fit the entire game in 40 KB.

The author of Tetris Championshion Edition will gladly accept all your suggestions, so send them to [email protected] or just put them here, I'll tell him. You can download SNA here.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsLSLoBKY0[/media]
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

Hi, I'm the author of this CE hack.
Please let me know how should I improve Tetris CE with your vote here:
https://www.tricider.com/admin/2pRLpwiTkl3/C2K8lA2ps8d
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

This looks amazing, I’ll definitely give this a play tonight, a couple of feature requests please:

Next piece is a must have (glad to see it on the feature list) but a hold and replace piece would be great, although some may view it as cheating but it’s in most modern Tetris games.

Please include the excellent David Whittaker music from the original Spectrum version. It’s so evocative of the game for the Spectrum and really under appreciated (and the Gameboy Tetris music option would be nice too!)

https://youtu.be/NMg1Oauq9

Thanks again for the great work so far, it’s always brilliant to see fantastic work like this!
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* show next piece

Download

MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

* show next piece
Res, but maybe a selectable option so people may choose to use it or not.
Also make some great loading screen ;)

BY the way, it seems very polished.
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

toot_toot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pm Next piece is a must have (glad to see it on the feature list) but a hold and replace piece would be great, although some may view it as cheating but it’s in most modern Tetris games.
Next piece feature is already there. But hold piece will be somewhat tricky. Is it done with 6th key?
toot_toot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pm Please include the excellent David Whittaker music from the original Spectrum version. It’s so evocative of the game for the Spectrum and really under appreciated (and the Gameboy Tetris music option would be nice too!)
Whittaker's melody is one the best, but built-in Fuxsoft player can play only special FXM modules (only few do exist).
Making new FMX modules (GB theme for example) with open source compiller is a tricky thing too.
Not much I can do about it without replacing the player.
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* next piece improovements (black background and space between 1UP and 2UP next peieces)
* game initialization (Golden Triangle logo and music)
* beta loading screen (no logo yet; the screen is a colored version of Human Killing Machine first stage background)
* now available in TAP and SCL formats

Download
Original topic

Image Image
MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* you can rotate half-visible pieces now
* piece axis and start positions are like in NES port
* different in-game music

Download
Original topic
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* wall kick is introduced
* ARS variation
* music and sound FX can be turned off in menu (depends on machine mode - 48/128)
* one of four music tracks is randomly played during game (two new tracks are Bach's fugue and Land of Confusion from Genesis)
* new graphics for playfield and pieces
* there is sound now, when a piece is fixed

Download
Original topic

Image Image
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* new level speed algorithm
* line counter in classic mode is added
* score is colored now: leading player is green, loosing player is red (bugs are possible)

Download
Original topic

Image Image
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Is this the final version?
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

Andre Leao wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:32 amIs this the final version?
no, still work-in-progress, i beleive.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

abelenki wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 am
Andre Leao wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:32 amIs this the final version?
no, still work-in-progress, i beleive.
Thanks ;)

I pretend to do a full review, but only with the final version
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

latest beta version

* there is 50 FPS mode now. if you enabled this mode, there is no beeper sound FX anymore. but you can switch different modes via 4 menu option. there are some glitches in Puzzle mode on 50 FPS, also tearing is possible
* some simple AY sound FX are added in 50 FPS mode
* updated Puzzle mode

Download
Original topic

Image Image
spykoni
Drutt

Post by spykoni »

This is by far the best ever written Tetris for the speccy. The most important feature is the smooth drop where you can have control over the pieces during their whole motion till the bottom.
Next piece is there, great music and sound fxs, a very challenging puzzle mode are among other features that make the game distinct.

The only thing missing is a nice succession of the levels, in normal mode, that just like the coin op, a number of lines to be completed is set.
This missing function is somehow counterbalanced by the excellent puzzle mode, but it is quite different.

At last a nice conversion of Tetris. Have spent already, hours on it.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

spykoni wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 am This is by far the best ever written Tetris for the speccy. The most important feature is the smooth drop where you can have control over the pieces during their whole motion till the bottom.
Yes!! What a difference that feature makes - I don’t enjoy playing Tetris without it TBH.

[mention]abelenki[/mention] Great work! Another +1 for best Speccy Tetris ever.
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

spykoni wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 am This is by far the best ever written Tetris for the speccy. The most important feature is the smooth drop where you can have control over the pieces during their whole motion till the bottom.
Next piece is there, great music and sound fxs, a very challenging puzzle mode are among other features that make the game distinct.
Thank you very much for your kind words.
spykoni wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 am The only thing missing is a nice succession of the levels, in normal mode, that just like the coin op, a number of lines to be completed is set.
Please give me more details. Maybe I can add such mode. Which coin op has it?
Is it just the puzzle mode without inital blocks?
spykoni wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 am At last a nice conversion of Tetris. Have spent already, hours on it.
Thanks again, but please make sure that you use latest version.
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

clebin wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 am
Yes!! What a difference that feature makes - I don’t enjoy playing Tetris without it TBH.

@abelenki Great work! Another +1 for best Speccy Tetris ever.
Well, I have to say that abelenki had been promoting the Tetris CE here for a long time. I hope he's doing allright.
But the author is your humble servant.

Please use latest stable version dubbed 0.6:
Download
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

TheShich wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:43 pm Well, I have to say that abelenki had been promoting the Tetris CE here for a long time. I hope he's doing allright.
But the author is your humble servant.
Apologies [mention]TheShich[/mention], I’ve only just picked up on your game. Many thanks and keep up the good work! I look forward to trying the latest version.
spykoni
Drutt

Post by spykoni »

"The only thing missing is a nice succession of the levels, in normal mode, that just like the coin op, a number of lines to be completed is set."

Actually, the puzzle mode gives you a specific challenge. In normal mode the challenge is always the same. To complete a predetermined number of lines.
There can be initial blocks and the speed varies. After the completion you pass to another level.

You can see the arcade version here. After level 4, there are also initial blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeaC1GpsOk

In any case, I am more than satisfied with the puzzle mode and thank you very much for this masterpiece.
(speccy was always missing a good Tetris game).
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

spykoni wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:53 pm "The only thing missing is a nice succession of the levels, in normal mode, that just like the coin op, a number of lines to be completed is set."

Actually, the puzzle mode gives you a specific challenge. In normal mode the challenge is always the same. To complete a predetermined number of lines.
There can be initial blocks and the speed varies. After the completion you pass to another level.

You can see the arcade version here. After level 4, there are also initial blocks.

In any case, I am more than satisfied with the puzzle mode and thank you very much for this masterpiece.
(speccy was always missing a good Tetris game).
Oh, good old Atari/Mirrorsoft Coin Op. Now I see. It's mostly just like a puzzle mode with increasing speed and repeating levels. Most of them are initialy empty.
Goals are set to 5,10,12,15 or 18 lines. Every line count. There's no such thing as "do a tetris N times". Then "Added bricks" and "Advancing lines" come into scene. Levels are rather short and addictive. They form a spiral of difficulty.
I can try to mimic this game, but without "Added bricks" or "Advancing lines" (not sure about them). Will you test it if I do?
spykoni
Drutt

Post by spykoni »

Of course!
TheShich
Drutt

Post by TheShich »

spykoni wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 amOf course!
I put it in my backlog.

Now I introduce new version 0.8
* 2 melodies are replaced (listen to E.T. and Red Dawn AKA Rasputin)
* old tiles are back + now you can choose them from menu 6.CHEAT
* two level sets switched from 1st menu (must be 200 levels, but 50 are doubles)
* lines cleared faster than in version 0.7 but slower than in 0.6
* new line clear sound
* Tetrises indication
* level up indication
* 1 player - QAOP+SP, 2 player - Kempston joystick

Download