New Game - Springbot

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
presuminged
Drutt

New Game - Springbot

Post by presuminged »

I'm looking for people to play-test my new game for the 48k Spectrum - Springbot - Mars Attack! If you could report any bugs or just give me general feedback that would be great. My main worry is that the game is too easy / difficult or that I've overlooked something game-breaking.

The game is set on a mining facility on the planet Mars which has been invaded by hostile aliens. The aim of the game is to collect fuel cells to power up the reactor, cause an explosion to destroy all the invaders, and then escape back to the ship.

Collect keys to open doors

Pick up gems for bonus points

Website address / Credits - www.andy-farrell.co.uk/springbot/ (under construction)

You can download the .tap file here -

www.andy-farrell.co.uk/springbot/SBOT1.2.zip

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: New Game - Springbot

Post by stupidget »

My first thought was how smooth it looks. The animation on the characters is excellent. I've only done a few screens but will have another look tomorrow.

Any plans to do a 128k version with AY tunes and sound effects?
presuminged
Drutt

Post by presuminged »

Thanks for the feedback!

'Any plans to do a 128k version with AY tunes and sound effects?'

Absolutely, I just wanted to get the 48K version out there to see what kind of response it got.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi Andy,

congratulations on your first game, and thank you for the mention :D

The game looks very nice, I would be pleased to assist you further should you like to create an enhanced 128K version.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Very nice. Looks good, plays good and pretty advanced. This isn't your first game is it?

I thought it wasn't AGD at first, because some of the scenery is redrawn, hiding the AGD XOR. Nice touch.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Very nice, it reminds me Foggy's Quest... :)
presuminged
Drutt

Post by presuminged »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:38 pm Very nice. Looks good, plays good and pretty advanced. This isn't your first game is it?

I thought it wasn't AGD at first, because some of the scenery is redrawn, hiding the AGD XOR. Nice touch.
Thanks! It's my first Spectrum game. I wrote a couple of games for the Commodore Amiga in the '90s using AMOS language. One was a Tetris clone and the other was a vertical shooter. Both sadly lost in the mists of time :(
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Level of difficult is just about right.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Beautiful, clean graphic style, looks great.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Wow, this looks very nice! Love the use of bright 1/0 on the elements, and overall the game reminds me of Starquake.
I like the difficulty, it allows me to explore the map without too much trouble.

Regarding bugs, seems that Springbot likes to do some levitation around the lifts :D Looks like a limitation of the engine more than something you can fix, but well, it is there.

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

druellan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 pm
Regarding bugs, seems that Springbot likes to do some levitation around the lifts :D Looks like a limitation of the engine more than something you can fix, but well, it is there.

It seems there are some hiiden blocks there...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

presuminged wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:53 pm I'm looking for people to play-test my new game for the 48k Spectrum - Springbot - Mars Attack! If you could report any bugs or just give me general feedback that would be great. My main worry is that the game is too easy / difficult or that I've overlooked something game-breaking.
Completed! Good fun that.
Spoiler
The difficulty level is fine. Though I can't see many (or any?) people playing it through on 3 lives, but then most people use POKEs or snapshots these days.

I didn't spot any bugs (there probably is some workaround for the levitation thing, but I don't think it would be worth it). I struggled a bit with the screen where you have to jump across the hanging bars, but working it out is part of the challenge. At first I wondered if those really cool rotating cubes were moving platforms—deadly from below, platform from above—of course I was wrong!

Basically it's great as it is. Looking forward to your next game.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Yes, game is perfect like that. Also completed it, review released during the weekend...
presuminged
Drutt

Post by presuminged »

Wow guys, thanks for the great feedback!
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

I've played it for 20 minutes and it has been a pleasant experience so far. Difficulty is ok, I feel there is not many more screens to pass from where I die. Maybe tomorrow I get better.

I like the main character, it reminds me of a Bubble Bobble baddie, and the screens are well drawn. A fine piece of game indeed.

Thanks for sharing this! :P
presuminged
Drutt

Post by presuminged »

The feedback I've been getting is that maybe you need more lives to finish it without saving snapshots.

Here is the latest version which has 3 extra life pickups dotted around the map.

http://www.andy-farrell.co.uk/springbot/SBOT1.3.zip
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

presuminged wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 pm The feedback I've been getting is that maybe you need more lives to finish it without saving snapshots.

Here is the latest version which has 3 extra life pickups dotted around the map.

http://www.andy-farrell.co.uk/springbot/SBOT1.3.zip
Sounds good to me. 3 lives with 3 extras, or 5 lives total, would bring it in-line with some of the fairer oldschool games.

For interest, how many lives do you need to finish it? The author is usually by far the best player.
presuminged
Drutt

Post by presuminged »

I've completed the game on 3 lives before but not collected all the gems. I tried to play a perfect game tonight in the latest version and failed twice!