The Perils of Willy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Dizzy

Re: The Perils of Willy

Post by Rev_Stuart_Campbell »

jetsetdanny wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 am
highrise wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:01 am
We are all a little more on edge than is probably good for us in the current climate, so hopefully we can put it behind us.
I hope so too... especially if Rev_Stuart_Campbell desists from further comments which would call for a response.
Oh, so now you're laying down conditions and everyone better respect them or else?

I bet you don't even see the irony.
0 x

highrise
Dizzy

Post by highrise »

It's clear to me that Danny felt that I was aiming my criticism directly at him. Looking back at the thread, I can understand why that was, and I can understand why he would react in that way, especially since his intentions were only to be helpful. It must have felt like a slap in the face, and it's likely that because of that, I came across as someone who is dismissive or arrogant. Hopefully my more recent posts have shown that I'm neither of those things.

Honestly I don't think there are any a*seholes here. This whole conversation could have gone in a completely different way with better communication. My initial remark was flippant, and my later comments came across as personal when they were more general. In my defence, Coronavirus has effectively closed my business, and I'm stuck at home the whole day. I'm not looking for sympathy, we are all in this together, but it does leave us all feeling more raw and vulnerable than usual.

So to be clear, I asked (not ordered!) people not to publish videos of them completing the game using rollbacks in the first couple of weeks for the following reasons:

1) Despite my best efforts, little bugs can crop up. These are usually only found once the game is in the wild and played by a much wider audience. In addition I was thinking about maybe adding some new levels.
2) It was intended as a challenge, to lay down the gauntlet and invoke the spirit of the 80s gamers we once were that didn't have that luxury. Playing games without breaking the rules can actually be fun.
3) I am frustrated at certain channels that use rollback on every single game that comes out within hours to be the first to post a video and get Youtube hits. I still don't believe they make any net contribution to the community.

So with all of that in mind, I decided to ask people to be patient. I would liken it to the situation with the Crash magazine cover where people agreed not to post it online so people could get an old school surprise . It doesn't mean that people don't have the right to publish it, it just means striking a balance between the old and the new, and that is really all I wanted to do.
3 x

Andre Leao
Manic Miner

Post by Andre Leao »

I can understand Allan's feelings about it. If it was my game, I would prefer people to play it without cheats...

For my reviews, I have to save my position frequently, because I want to complete the game whenever possible, so my reviews can be more accurate. But I also try the games without any cheats, so I can have a true feeling of the difficult level and the gameplay.

I also test a lot of games before being released, and without cheats I couldn´t do a proper job (time is limited, unfortunately). If it spoils my fun? Probably, but I also have fun writing the reviews and testing the games, so I guess it is balanced... :)

Don't know what rollback is, but must be something like saving the position every level...

Have fun and just enjoy the games. It´s a priviledge for us that after 35 years, still wonderful games are being created for our fave computer. And The Perils of Willy is a great game... ;)

Sorry about my english, but I guess it is better than your portuguese, like I once read in Your Sinclair letter's section... :lol:
Last edited by Andre Leao on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

highrise
Dizzy

Post by highrise »

Thanks Andre, and actually the way that Andre and I worked together is a good example of how communication makes a big difference. Andre puts a lot of time into writing reviews of games. He has reviewed most of my work and is always honest about it. Some things he likes, other things he doesn't, and that is absolutely fine. He is contributing to the community in his own way and expressing his views.

Because of that, I usually contact him before I release a game. He gets to playtest the game and reports back bugs and so on, which helps me. He agrees not to share the game because it's being tested. At the same time, it allows him to thoroughly go through the game and get a good feeling for it, so that he can have a fair review ready at the time the game comes out. This benefits both sides without interfering with anyone's freedom of expression or right to have an opinion. As I said before, it's not about restricting people, it's about finding balance.
1 x

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx »

But Andre just said that he cheats when he plays (savestates), which is, basically, rollback :roll:
:lol: ;)
0 x

Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Dizzy

Post by Rev_Stuart_Campbell »

There's a fairly big difference between using cheats for yourself/for review purposes and using them to make a video that you then post on the internet against the author's wishes.
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It seems we're more interested in arguing about this than actually playing the game! Except for danny, who has probably spent more time on it than anyone.

Edited typo
6 x

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am
It seems we're more interested than arguing about this than actually playing the game! Except for danny, who has probably spent more time on it than anyone.
+1 👍
1 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro »

jetsetdanny wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm
Preventing adult, intelligent people from doing things they choose to do is limiting their freedom. It is something totalitarian regimes like to do, to limit or eliminate individual choices. It should not be happening in the free world.
"Freedom" does not mean doing what you want without regard for other people's safety and/or feelings. Otherwise I could take myself the freedom to individually choose to publicly define you as an a*****e all over this forum, which I won't because a) I don't think you are :) and b) I don't do such things. Or to point a gun at you and ask you to hand me your Spectrum since I chose it for my collection :lol:

Once again, I am with Allan on this issue, although I can understand Danny's concern.

I too get annoyed by this irrational urge to be the first to swallow a new game and put the results on YouTube, and what's worse, for a foolish sense of self-gratification. Cheats did exist even back in the day of course, and people resorted to them. But there was no internet (for the general user), no YouTube etc. Moreover, you had to wait for months before some POKE could be published on magazines. Many games were not covered at all.

If there is something that can be defined as the "spirit of retrogaming", in my personal opinion, it is the challenge, the beauty of being put to the test and finishing without any external aid. It is not so much the "arrival" that matters; rather, it is the "travel", how you manage to get to the end.

I guess many have been "spoiled" by emulation and the possibility of having information of every kind displayed on a screen in a matter of seconds. But I am not against completing games with rollback per se, although I find it cheap most of the times - not always since I also took advantage of it when recording the RZX for The Sentinel. I am against this malpractice of being-the-first-and-show-it-to-everyone. It hurts me that after spending months on developing a game, I see it completed by cheating on YouTube the day after release.
R-Tape wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am
It seems we're more interested in arguing about this than actually playing the game
As an exercise in retroprogramming, I find it quite impressing. As a game in itself... well, not so much to be honest :)

As for Andre, about 4 times out of 5 I disagree with what he writes on his blog :roll: But I can live with that :mrgreen:
1 x

highrise
Dizzy

Post by highrise »

I think debate is healthy. It's been interesting for me to see what other people think about this idea. Certainly there is no need to start talking about human rights or freedoms, that really blows it out of proportion.

For me it's about finding ways to develop a healthy, respectful relationship between those who make the games and those who play them. This is not a situation where there are millions of people buying a game and it is done for huge amounts of money. These games are mostly made with care and love for the medium, and are a big part of keeping the scene alive. It's actually possible for me to know every person who downloads my game individually and have a direct relationship with them. And if someone spends hours cooking you a delicious meal, is it wrong for them to suggest you take your time over it? If you decide to just wolf it down like dog food, that is your right - but it's not exactly going to encourage them to cook for you again is it? Especially if you decide to film that and put it on Youtube.

And as for the person who has spent the most time on the game, in the most polite way possible, I think it is probably clear who that is.
1 x