Bonnie and Clyde

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Bonnie and Clyde

Post by MatGubbins »

Great ending. Well worth it.

I started at 11:15 this morning and completed it at 1:15 in the afternoon. Used Spin (EmuZWin was busy...) I saved after each level. If a life was lost I would reload the snapshot. Some of the levels are a git to complete, lost many lives when those hoodlums appear from the door infront of our hero or from a sneaky bullet. Graphics, playability, AY music is excellent.
Last edited by MatGubbins on Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

4thRock wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:36 pm The platform layout reminds me of Bomb Jack :D
sprite output combined with bg restoration (and occasional flicker on overlap) is very similar too
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

I see what you mean about bomb jack, nothing wrong with
That! Being thick here is it a new game or was it made in 1986? Does not matter I enjoyed it any way.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

ianace wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:37 pm That! Being thick here is it a new game or was it made in 1986?
it was made in 1986 mood i guess :)
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Yeah that’s what I am thinking myself, I think the gangster hats Disappearing when you lose a life is a nice touch.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Please notice people a subtle touch in the game - you have nine lives because cats have... nine lives ;)

It's probably the first game I know, where your number of lives has some rationale. Of course beside the obvious case
when you have just one life.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi guys!

Today Natasha Zotova, spokewoman and member of Zosya Entertainment commented on social networks that the inspiration for Bonnie and Clyde came from Bomb Jack (obviously), and The Untouchables by Ocean Software (I guess some levels have a similar setting; criminals, mafia and so on). She also said that 1986 copyright note on the loading screen was simply a joke, because the game feels like an eighties arcade.

All the best!
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

the tap file on the official page was silently replaced (again)
now it returns to the main menu after a game over

upd: and again - crash in 48k fixed
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Still enjoying this game, one question, I have worked out what most of power ups are for. But I can not work out what the coat hanger is for, anyone know?
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

ianace wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 pm Still enjoying this game, one question, I have worked out what most of power ups are for. But I can not work out what the coat hanger is for, anyone know?
It disguises you to look like the enemies. Thus, they don't shoot at you, and you can walk straight past them without losing a life.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Wow, this is a very impressive game, can only echo what's already been said in that it has a coin-op vibe, and it's also extremely playable. Kudos to the designer(s)/programmer(s).

It's got a great learning curve in its level design, the early levels help you learn the ropes & game mechanics while you progress, without being punished unduly. Modern game design thinking for a 1986 game... :)

I managed to get to this screen with only 1 life lost, but I then lost the other 8 in quick succession, as I had no idea what to do... Though everyone else here seems to have figured it out, so it's probably me being a dunce... :lol:

One thing I particularly like is that when you lose a life it doesn't reset everything on the screen. So for example if you've already blown up the safe before dying, you can just climb the ladder with the loot rather than collect everything again (similar to Bomb Jack I guess ;) )
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Coat hangers for Disguise I like it
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

just keep jump pressed in the tube and quickly alternate left/right
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Yes, looking at the screen layout it's pretty obvious that there's a way you can get up those tubes, but for some reason it didn't occur to me... :roll:

I figured it out pretty quickly on my second game, when I managed to bounce off one of the walls. :)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Ralf wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:31 pm Please notice people a subtle touch in the game - you have nine lives because cats have... nine lives ;)
It's probably the first game I know, where your number of lives has some rationale. Of course beside the obvious case
when you have just one life.
And Paws, originally called Cats, where you play a cat, who has nine lives?
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3637

In fact, can anyone name a game where you play a cat and you don't have nine lives? :mrgreen:

I like this game - it's fast, with detailed but clear graphics. In fact, for all the detail in the backgrounds, it's amazing how clear the sprites are.

I'm slightly frustrated by two things though. One is how you can't jump even partially through the platforms; you hit your head and fall again. Which mean it's hard to jump over a gap or over a bad guy if there's another platform above you.

The other thing is that as soon as you touch the ladder, it's the end of the level. Meaning if it appears on top of you, or between you and where the safe was, you can't then go back and get the loot from the safe.
drbars
Drutt

Post by drbars »

For Spectrum +3, a disk image was added. Enjoy! :D
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

looks like another bugfix - the AY music turned off properly after the game was finished
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

This is a great game, I'm really enjoying it. If you were to swap the cats for people, it plays like how I'd imagine if Jonathan Smith were given the Untouchables licence!

It's obviously very heavily inspired by Bomb Jack, one feature from that game that I think would improve it would be the collecting the coins in a fixed order for a bigger points bonus, similar to Bomb Jack's flashing bombs. It could add a bit more strategy and longevity to the game. If you swapped the sprites for the Bomb Jack sprites and similarly the backgrounds, it would probably be a more representative sequel to Bomb Jack than Bomb Jack II - although I still think Bomb Jack II is a great game, it's just clearly a different game (Thundercats, judging by the C64 music) with the Bomb Jack licence stuck on.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Late to the party, have only tried it yesterday. So awesome. GOTY material, for sure.

It's indeed a bit on the easy side, though I see it more as a Score Attack type game, because there are quite few ways to gain points and also the timer is ticking, so you can gamble with dawdling and earning more points or rushing for the ladder.

Still, I'd love to see a 3-lives version, 9 is overkill (guess it's a cats related joke). Any haxxor up for making a de-trainer/poke?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm very late the party, but I'm really enjoying it.

Its a pity there are no instructions, but watching the RZX sorted me out.
akeley wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:57 pm It's indeed a bit on the easy side
This is no problem to me (although for the more professional players I can see it being one), but being able to get to level 3 and on the high score table within 30 minutes of practice is good for me!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

One of the most overrated games of 2020 for me. Nothing special technically, and rather samey as well - enemies are always the same and platform schemes tend to repeat themselves as well. Moreover, the "jumping on walls" issue made me scratch my head to say the least.

Good for casual players searching for a quick blast, maybe, but pretty shallow. There's much better around.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:09 pm One of the most overrated games of 2020 for me. Nothing special technically, and rather samey as well - enemies are always the same and platform schemes tend to repeat themselves as well. Moreover, the "jumping on walls" issue made me scratch my head to say the least.

Good for casual players searching for a quick blast, maybe, but pretty shallow. There's much better around.
I don't know if it's overrated - it depends what's been said - but I really like it. It is a pick-up-and-play game, shallow maybe and yes, quite samey. A variety of enemies would take it to another level for sure.

But it looks great, the animation is fast and fluid, and the controls feel just right. Although on the face of it it seems easy, the longer-term challenge is in trying to preserve your lives to get through the 90 levels. It's just a pleasure to play for me, and the kind of untaxing game that's good at the end of a long day. I'd like to see a sequel with a bit more variety as mentioned.
Last edited by clebin on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Well, I just noticed that many seem to rave over it, while I don't. I cannot say that I didn't like it - I even picked it for this year's Annual - but I do not think it is all that "hot". I tend to evaluate deeper, more involving and varied titles better.

Just my 2 euro cents :mrgreen:
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:52 pm Well, I just noticed that many seem to rave over it, while I don't. I cannot say that I didn't like it - I even picked it for this year's Annual - but I do not think it is all that "hot". I tend to evaluate deeper, more involving and varied titles better.

Just my 2 euro cents :mrgreen:
I think we're on the same page with regard to its shortcomings, but I think I just enjoy playing it more. The bit I added in my edit, was that a sequel with more variety would be good. I think there's loads of scope to make a follow-up that both of us would rate.