Bonnie and Clyde

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Bonnie and Clyde

Post by Alessandro »

One of the most overrated games of 2020 for me. Nothing special technically, and rather samey as well - enemies are always the same and platform schemes tend to repeat themselves as well. Moreover, the "jumping on walls" issue made me scratch my head to say the least.

Good for casual players searching for a quick blast, maybe, but pretty shallow. There's much better around.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:09 pm One of the most overrated games of 2020 for me. Nothing special technically, and rather samey as well - enemies are always the same and platform schemes tend to repeat themselves as well. Moreover, the "jumping on walls" issue made me scratch my head to say the least.

Good for casual players searching for a quick blast, maybe, but pretty shallow. There's much better around.
I don't know if it's overrated - it depends what's been said - but I really like it. It is a pick-up-and-play game, shallow maybe and yes, quite samey. A variety of enemies would take it to another level for sure.

But it looks great, the animation is fast and fluid, and the controls feel just right. Although on the face of it it seems easy, the longer-term challenge is in trying to preserve your lives to get through the 90 levels. It's just a pleasure to play for me, and the kind of untaxing game that's good at the end of a long day. I'd like to see a sequel with a bit more variety as mentioned.
Last edited by clebin on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Well, I just noticed that many seem to rave over it, while I don't. I cannot say that I didn't like it - I even picked it for this year's Annual - but I do not think it is all that "hot". I tend to evaluate deeper, more involving and varied titles better.

Just my 2 euro cents :mrgreen:
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:52 pm Well, I just noticed that many seem to rave over it, while I don't. I cannot say that I didn't like it - I even picked it for this year's Annual - but I do not think it is all that "hot". I tend to evaluate deeper, more involving and varied titles better.

Just my 2 euro cents :mrgreen:
I think we're on the same page with regard to its shortcomings, but I think I just enjoy playing it more. The bit I added in my edit, was that a sequel with more variety would be good. I think there's loads of scope to make a follow-up that both of us would rate.