New Pacman game from DEFB Studio (best ever?)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

New Pacman game from DEFB Studio (best ever?)

Post by R-Tape »

There's a snazzy new Pac-man game out. Ivan mentions the download link here.

Bloody hell it's amazing. Smooth as silk, 50 fps, fast, good AI, good sound. If it has any faults then you might say background ghost colours get left behind occasionally, but I actually like that—it's a reminder that you're playing on god's own computer.

Is it a demo, or a finalised release?

And could it possible be the best Pac-man on the speccy?
p13z
Manic Miner

Re: New Pacman game from DEFB Studio (best ever?)

Post by p13z »

Being a bit of a purist - I don't think anything can top Obo's version of Pacman on the Soeccy. This does look cool though.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

p13z wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:13 pm Being a bit of a purist - I don't think anything can top Obo's version of Pacman on the Soeccy. This does look cool though.
This looks like something off Cassette 50 compared to Obo's Pacman. Nice try, but nobody's gonna beat that.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

p13z wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:13 pm I don't think anything can top Obo's version of Pacman on the Soeccy.
Is Obo's version Simon Owen and the Pacman emulator?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The movement is excellent, the graphics are good but I'm missing better sounds that give it an arcade touch. The sound is the worst point, IMO.

Anyway, good version, but I still go with Z-Man (a nostalgia thing, I suppose).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]p13z[/mention], [mention]ZXDunny[/mention] I know what you mean. Colour clash aside it probably has to be the gold standard. Should it even be included as a comparison though?
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 pm Anyway, good version, but I still go with Z-Man (a nostalgia thing, I suppose).
Aye it's great, and I'm certainly not averse to character movement, but there's something 'Whoa!' about this Pac-man. It must be the speed and smoothness.

I do prefer the wider-jawed Pac-man graphic in Z-Man tho.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

MonkZy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 pm Is Obo's version Simon Owen and the Pacman emulator?
That's the one :)
obo
Drutt

Post by obo »

I like it! It's quite different to the emulator, but still scratches a certain Pac-Man itch for me. The emulator runs at 50Hz, but the downscaling and the fact that the arcade movement speeds change means you won't get the glossy 50Hz animations you get with this one. The single pixel animation does make a massive difference over the older official games.

It'd be good if the new version supported diagonal inputs, without favouring one axis over the other. Currently you have to be very quick to release and press keys to avoid stumbling with direction changes. It can implemented by ignoring control inputs for the direction you're facing, as well as any movement options that aren't available at the current position/junction. I had to implement that for the emulator too since the original game uses a 4-way joystick and doesn't expect diagonals.
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. This game is in fact the first game (along with Tetris) that I thought i'd actually show off.
Normally i'd just lurk in the shadows and read to try and gain knowledge. I've never been in the games industry but always loved the idea of making them. My first computer was a 48k and grew up with it but only now thought i'd go back and try and make something proper. I dabbled with Unity but got annoyed with using someone elses code. I saw in RetroGamer about it being Pacmans birthday so thought i'd have a go at making a classic but wanted it to run really fast so kept the sprite sizes down. I didn't want all the clashes so thought the ghosts could 'slime' the pellets.
I actually started my journey just over a year ago with a 50hz platformer, but that got sidetracked with a horizontal shootemup. Then i needed to actually finish something so along came tetris and pacman. I'm currently trying an isometric space themed gauntlet! It will even have a torch option for more atmosphere.
I'll have to have a look into the eyes that kill bug. I tested it for days and days to find as many bugs as i could.
I wanted to have original levels, but if i kept adding more and more, it would never be 'finished'. It has the option of slow tunnels anywhere and the warp at any position, so can be expanded if needed.
Oh, and i'm absolutely terrible with sounds/music, so thats the reason the effects are bad/sparse.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Keep working on them, [mention]scoppack[/mention] . As your first attempt, Pacman is good.

Don't forget to show your progress on Tetris and that isometric Gauntlet here! ;)
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

Here's tetris
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gQ9c84 ... sp=sharing
Hasn't got wall push, but i think (hope) all bugs have gone.

and here's a quick 'in progress' early version of the iso adventure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vevxvh ... sp=sharing
not good with graphics, but do have some walls done. The idea is to clear each room of aliens and the air locks (doors) will open for the next rooms.

and the shootemup
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19qRFy5 ... sp=sharing
This got to the point of never going back to finish off populating levels, or different scenery, but has a lot of pre-def'd scripts for movement/control.

I always seem more interested in proof, rather than populating. :(
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Wow great work Scoppack. Pics needed!
scoppack wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:33 am Here's tetris
and here's a quick 'in progress' early version of the iso adventure.
and the shootemup

The only thing about the tetris is when you press 'down' to drop the block, the rapid drop effect carries over to the new block too quickly. IMO this effect would be better with a debounced key.

I like the shootemup the most. I hope you get that finished, in fact, it's not far off now.

(I'm sending you a PM by the way)
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

They look good, though I’m not sure about the graphics in this one...
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

They are just placeholders. i'm not a good artist or musician. I googled isometric and found a spritesheet to get me started.
The plan is to have a spacestation, with eggs that sprout spider-type things and call it Aliun-ISO-lation. :)
And the darkness is just a flag i can turn on/off. Might even do it for a flickery light type effect too.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Hah no it’s ok! I was just curious! They’re mine from a few years back, y’see. ;)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

redballoon wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm Hah no it’s ok! I was just curious! They’re mine from a few years back, y’see. ;)
I was just about to argue that they look great, very modern. :) Love minimalism.
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

Ah, they were just perfect for the angles of walking to get everything working, soz. Not sure how far it will progress tbh, as i'm looking to see if a procedural room generation would be possible, or worthwhile to keep level data down. It started at 160 bytes per room, and is currently 20-40 depending what is in it. I don't get that much free time.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

scoppack wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:22 pm Ah, they were just perfect for the angles of walking to get everything working, soz. Not sure how far it will progress tbh, as i'm looking to see if a procedural room generation would be possible, or worthwhile to keep level data down. It started at 160 bytes per room, and is currently 20-40 depending what is in it. I don't get that much free time.
Oh no worries! Fire away using them as placement graphics until you get something better!