JetPac RX

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: JetPac RX

Post by Seven.FFF »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:22 am If you're playing this on a Next and you try to save a snapshot to preserve your high score don't do it while the tune is playing as it doesn't like it and reloading it back in just results in a reset. Apparently it's due to the music driver.
It's the same on other Spectrums using a divMMC and esxDOS to snapshot. Investigation and a fix are in the works.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Thanks for the comments guys. As for the idea that "it's basically the same game as 1983", well that is kind of the point, isn't it? It's fundamental to keep the core gameplay and I would have failed if it didn't feel like the same game at its heart. For this reason, you might not fully appreciate the subtle differences if you just watch a video. If you give it a chance you will find the changes do impact on how you play the game considerably.

As for personal motivation, there are many reasons for doing something like this. Aside from the educational value it has, the challenge of taking on such a beloved game without annoying the entire community by doing so was also something that appealed to me, it created a pressure that you might not get from working on an original. The amount of time taken to get the balance right between the new and the old in a way that is both fun and respectful is probably more than you might imagine. As someone who is interested in the history of video games, it also presented a thoroughly enjoyable challenge of digital archaeology, and thus the additional powerups and collectables I added were, I think, a nice way to include a lot of nods to history without breaking the main game.

So in that sense it's all something of a love letter, but of course, in the end it shouldn't be taken too seriously. To me it's like doing a cover version of a favourite song, you won't interpret it in exactly the same way as the original, but you are doing something that other people enjoy without taking anything away from what is already there.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I watched a couple of the videos - one has jetpack noise and one doesn't?
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

yes, there is a version with AY effects but I have not completed it yet.