Nuclear City Bomber 2020 Edition

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Nuclear City Bomber 2020 Edition

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:43 pm I can't get Spectaculator to save a TAP file properly
I generated the TAP file for you:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/si ... 20.tap.zip

This will be in the next archive update!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

So how was this game originally released?

I assume it wasn't sold at stores!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:43 pm On discovering to my eternal shame earlier today that Scorpion Software's legendary 1984 hit Nuclear City Bomber actually had a fatal game-crashing bug in it which doubtless ruined many people's enjoyment of this compelling Cold War classic, I felt obliged to right the wrong of 36 years ago and produce a new deluxe edition which not only fixes the coding error and gives the game a proper ending, but also expands it to over twice the size with dozens of exciting new cities to visit!
I didn't know you coded games Stu. The only one I've played before was Escape from Colditz.
It somehow feels appropriate to the current zeitgeist.
It's weird - until recently, nuclear war has never been farther from my thoughts, but last week someone lent me Martin Amis's "Einstein's Monsters" to read, and now you've posted this!

Bonus points for adding Ouagadougou.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:48 pm
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:43 pm I can't get Spectaculator to save a TAP file properly
I generated the TAP file for you:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/si ... 20.tap.zip

This will be in the next archive update!
I wonder if [mention]Rev_Stuart_Campbell[/mention] fancies making a loading screen to make it a Delux Delux version before we add it to the archive?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 pm I wonder if @Rev_Stuart_Campbell fancies making a loading screen to make it a Delux Delux version before we add it to the archive?
Hopefully somewhat like this:

RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I haven't played this yet but the man has Cannon Fodder 2 on his CV so I'm expecting great things!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:02 am
Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 pm So how was this game originally released?

I assume it wasn't sold at stores!
We sold stuff mail order (in really really small numbers :D), but in fairness NCB was just a "b-side", little throwaway freebies. That one was the b-side of Your Attention Please, our atomic apocalypse text adventure.

OK, that fits perfectly!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Is this actually a game or a joke/demo? I've tried to play it but all that happens is I drop the bomb then move on to another city.

EDIT: ah, I actually read the "reviews"...damn. And I was hoping to have the Bonus Game for HSC sorted 8-)