EGGHEAD 6

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
yerzmyey
Berk

EGGHEAD 6

Post by yerzmyey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi.

Like I mentioned on WOS, Jonathan has put the newest prog - "Egghead 6" into this archive:
http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/22323/docum ... ldwell.zip
There are also added config files for Spectrum Vega, if You have one (I do! ;P ).
Enjoy! ;)

Image Image Image[/quote]
3 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: EGGHEAD 6

Post by R-Tape » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Bloody hell, I didn't expect this to be released publicly anytime soon so I spent 9 quid on the cassette version yesterday.

I mean thanks! :mrgreen:
0 x

Spud
Microbot

Post by Spud » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Is this the one with the controversial Vega+ production line screen? :lol:
2 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Is this an admission that a certain hand-held device is never gonna see the light of day?
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for the news!

I watched video on youtube previously and may say that it is really a nice, polished game. A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
Is this the one with the controversial Vega+ production line screen?
Yes. I guess it was supposed to appear on new Vega+ as some "brand game". You know, like Mario on Nintendo or Sonic on Sega. So it has a location with new Vega devices being produced and our friend Lee watching the production. Something that didn't happen in real life unfortunately as you must know.

Due to this location and general Jonathan's involvement in Vega project, this game gathered some serious hate on Twitter and Facebook. Undeserved hate, I would say. Personally I'll always have respect for Jonathan for what he did for Spectrum community, no matter how he was involved in this crappy Vega saga.

So thanks Jonathan for releasing the game! I'll be playing it later.
5 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm

And already hacked by ANDREW RYALS.

I'm surprised as it sounded like Jon went to not a little trouble to implement antihack measures. I remember reading about randomised placing of code and allsorts.

I haven't tested his hack yet though, maybe works differently for every game...
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm

I played it for a moment and in my opinion it needs another poke.

You lose life after falling down from ridiculously low heights. And what's worse if you jump into new location badly ,fall down and lose a life then you respawn in the air, at the exact place where you entered the location. So you fall down again and lose all your lives in a row, in similar way to Jet Set Willy if I remember correctly.

So I would really enjoy it more with immunity from falling.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Ralf wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm
Due to this location and general Jonathan's involvement in Vega project, this game gathered some serious hate on Twitter and Facebook. Undeserved hate, I would say. Personally I'll always have respect for Jonathan for what he did for Spectrum community, no matter how he was involved in this crappy Vega saga.
Couldn't agree more. Facebook and Twitter, and up to a certain extent also Youtube conferm themselves to be a real Mecca for those who seem to have no other aim in their life than spitting venom through the Internet because they cannot cope with the pressures and frustrations of real life. I can understand the anger of those who supported the project with their money; but at the same time I cannot justify in any way those who add fuel to the fire in order to attract followers and gain visibility, or just because that makes them feel 'big time'. Both the Internet and, in its niche, the Spectrum scene would be much better places without such people.

That said, the game looks both minimal and polished, as you would expect from Jonathan, and plays as the other Egghead games, i.e. not breaking many grounds but providing an entertaining experience altogether. The 'splat' effect whenever Egghead loses a life was a pleasant surprise!

What I would change: as Ralf, the height from which Egghead can die should be made longer, and it would be nice to hear some more sound effects, for instance when Egghead jumps.
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Ralf wrote:
A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
I think it’s the first one in the series to use (self-)masked sprites, though. Previous installments used XORed sprites.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Spud
Microbot

Post by Spud » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 am

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Ralf wrote:
A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
I think it’s the first one in the series to use (self-)masked sprites, though. Previous installments used XORed sprites.
What gives you that impression? Analysis of code or graphics?
0 x