EGGHEAD 6

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
yerzmyey
Drutt

EGGHEAD 6

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi.

Like I mentioned on WOS, Jonathan has put the newest prog - "Egghead 6" into this archive:
http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/22323/docum ... ldwell.zip
There are also added config files for Spectrum Vega, if You have one (I do! ;P ).
Enjoy! ;)

Image Image Image[/quote]
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: EGGHEAD 6

Post by R-Tape »

Bloody hell, I didn't expect this to be released publicly anytime soon so I spent 9 quid on the cassette version yesterday.

I mean thanks! :mrgreen:
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Is this the one with the controversial Vega+ production line screen? :lol:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Is this an admission that a certain hand-held device is never gonna see the light of day?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks for the news!

I watched video on youtube previously and may say that it is really a nice, polished game. A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
Is this the one with the controversial Vega+ production line screen?
Yes. I guess it was supposed to appear on new Vega+ as some "brand game". You know, like Mario on Nintendo or Sonic on Sega. So it has a location with new Vega devices being produced and our friend Lee watching the production. Something that didn't happen in real life unfortunately as you must know.

Due to this location and general Jonathan's involvement in Vega project, this game gathered some serious hate on Twitter and Facebook. Undeserved hate, I would say. Personally I'll always have respect for Jonathan for what he did for Spectrum community, no matter how he was involved in this crappy Vega saga.

So thanks Jonathan for releasing the game! I'll be playing it later.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

And already hacked by ANDREW RYALS.

I'm surprised as it sounded like Jon went to not a little trouble to implement antihack measures. I remember reading about randomised placing of code and allsorts.

I haven't tested his hack yet though, maybe works differently for every game...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I played it for a moment and in my opinion it needs another poke.

You lose life after falling down from ridiculously low heights. And what's worse if you jump into new location badly ,fall down and lose a life then you respawn in the air, at the exact place where you entered the location. So you fall down again and lose all your lives in a row, in similar way to Jet Set Willy if I remember correctly.

So I would really enjoy it more with immunity from falling.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Ralf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pmDue to this location and general Jonathan's involvement in Vega project, this game gathered some serious hate on Twitter and Facebook. Undeserved hate, I would say. Personally I'll always have respect for Jonathan for what he did for Spectrum community, no matter how he was involved in this crappy Vega saga.
Couldn't agree more. Facebook and Twitter, and up to a certain extent also Youtube conferm themselves to be a real Mecca for those who seem to have no other aim in their life than spitting venom through the Internet because they cannot cope with the pressures and frustrations of real life. I can understand the anger of those who supported the project with their money; but at the same time I cannot justify in any way those who add fuel to the fire in order to attract followers and gain visibility, or just because that makes them feel 'big time'. Both the Internet and, in its niche, the Spectrum scene would be much better places without such people.

That said, the game looks both minimal and polished, as you would expect from Jonathan, and plays as the other Egghead games, i.e. not breaking many grounds but providing an entertaining experience altogether. The 'splat' effect whenever Egghead loses a life was a pleasant surprise!

What I would change: as Ralf, the height from which Egghead can die should be made longer, and it would be nice to hear some more sound effects, for instance when Egghead jumps.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ralf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
I think it’s the first one in the series to use (self-)masked sprites, though. Previous installments used XORed sprites.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Ralf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm A bit similar to other Eggheads but with some new features too.
I think it’s the first one in the series to use (self-)masked sprites, though. Previous installments used XORed sprites.
What gives you that impression? Analysis of code or graphics?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Spud wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 am
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm I think it’s the first one in the series to use (self-)masked sprites, though. Previous installments used XORed sprites.
What gives you that impression? Analysis of code or graphics?
Graphics.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

But the Vega+ things kill me.....

A great game with nice title music and tunes. The short fall death is a little annoying, but it's something that an egg has to live with.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Dizzy didn't seem to have a problem. Maybe he was boiled?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Spud wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm Dizzy didn't seem to have a problem. Maybe he was boiled?
:lol:

jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm And already hacked by ANDREW RYALS.

I'm surprised as it sounded like Jon went to not a little trouble to implement antihack measures. I remember reading about randomised placing of code and allsorts.

Found a cheat mode this afternoon...
Spoiler
Hold down SHIFT + J + C while the message is scrolling.
The border will turn blue and you will then have partial immunity when you start the game
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

jpnz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 pm Found a cheat mode this afternoon...
Ta. I tried the usual trick of J + C during pause but wouldn't have thought of this.
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

It's not a bad little game and it reminds me of dynamite dan games with the lack of a tune constantly in the background but you get these nice jingles every now and then. It is like the other Egghead games but that's not a bad thing if you like collect'em ups.
Jonathan
Drutt

Post by Jonathan »

Ralf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm Due to this location and general Jonathan's involvement in Vega project, this game gathered some serious hate on Twitter and Facebook. Undeserved hate, I would say. Personally I'll always have respect for Jonathan for what he did for Spectrum community, no matter how he was involved in this crappy Vega saga.
Does the community really want to hear any more about this? Should I defend myself? I just think I'd annoy everyone if I tried that. My involvement has been limited and I assisted in my few limited areas of expertise in an attempt to help RCL get this project completed. I could tell you why the campaign against me started but I don't think people want to know. Suffice it to say that there are evil and nasty people in life and one should generally avoid dealing with them
R-Tape wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm And already hacked by ANDREW RYALS.

Don't try Andrew Ryals' POKE, he's fallen into the first trap I set (there are several) and it'll stop you making progress in the game. Seems he didn't test this one thoroughly.
Not on Twitter, left the Spectrum scene on 4th December 2018. Thanks folks, it was a pleasure knowing you.
http://www.spanglefish.com/egghead/
http://arcadegamedesigner.proboards.com/
https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 pm Don't try Andrew Ryals' POKE, he's fallen into the first trap I set (there are several) and it'll stop you making progress in the game. Seems he didn't test this one thoroughly.
Hah! You scoundrel. What does the POKE do, or not do?
Jonathan
Drutt

Post by Jonathan »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 pm
Jonathan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 pm Don't try Andrew Ryals' POKE, he's fallen into the first trap I set (there are several) and it'll stop you making progress in the game. Seems he didn't test this one thoroughly.
Hah! You scoundrel. What does the POKE do, or not do?
It'll give you more lives. Not infinite, if memory serves you'll find all infinite lives POKEs will give you about 20 lives and no more...

Andrew's POKE will give you an issue with the ropes. ;)
Not on Twitter, left the Spectrum scene on 4th December 2018. Thanks folks, it was a pleasure knowing you.
Jonathan
Drutt

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:46 pm
R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 pm Hah! You scoundrel. What does the POKE do, or not do?
It'll give you more lives. Not infinite, if memory serves you'll find all infinite lives POKEs will give you about 20 lives and no more...

That aside, Andrew's POKE will also give you an issue with the ropes. Sorry Mr Ryals, I did warn you... ;)