HELL YEAH! - arcade platform shooter (my first Z80 game!)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
presh
Dizzy

HELL YEAH! - arcade platform shooter (my first Z80 game!)

Post by presh »

"You and your twin brother are part of an elite special service unit on a top secret mission. Suddenly, a hellish void opens up and entices him through... now you're under attack from strange creatures and must fight to survive in the hope of finding him!"

This is my first 100% Z80 game, started back in March during the UK lockdown. As a kid, I got frustrated with the (mostly speed-related) limitations of BASIC and always wanted to make a Z80 game, alas I was only about 10 years old when I first got hold of a book on the subject so found it pretty daunting! Eventually YS would stick ZIP Compiler on its 1993 Christmas covertape and I'd bang out a handful of games with its help, but they were a far cry from the kind of games that the "wannabe rockstar coder" of my child self had dreamed of making. The more recent combination of boredom and literally being kept awake trying to decipher the weird layout of the ZX Spectrum's display file meant there was an itch to scratch and finally a reason to do just that!

I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt, though I definitely had too high expectations of what the Speccy could handle and definitely threw myself in at the deep end :oops: That said, I've definitely learned a lot that I wouldn't have otherwise... so my next game is going to be much simpler and hopefully taking weeks rather than months to complete development :D

Download
25 x

Nienn Heskil
Dizzy

Re: HELL YEAH! - arcade platform shooter (my first Z80 game!)

Post by Nienn Heskil »

Nice! This is easily game compo material. Great effort for a first game.

Is it possible to fix hero movement on horizontally moving platforms? I don't know if it's hard to add in your scheme, but ideally it should be smth like 'if hero is on a moving platform, add platform_x_speed to hero_x_speed'.

There's a seemingly-inaccessible powerup right at the beginning, but maybe there's some trick to it that I'm missing...
(Edit: Ah, I see with the trenches. Also, level design is a bit ev!l, isn't it. :lol: )
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Dang it, I’m usually not a fan of character-based movements in Speccy games, but this one looks great! Love the graphics and the devilishly hard gameplay. Good sound effects, too. Nice visual effects. An amazing achievement for a first game!
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Manic Miner

Post by Rev_Stuart_Campbell »

I am frankly OUTRAGED that you've stolen the name of my awesome PS3 game:

(I mention this mainly because the nutty two-separate-TZX-files format makes it impossible to even load on Retropie so I can't say anything about the actual game. What's that all about?)
1 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

Great game! Especially if we consider it's your first game.

Very colourful and nice looking. Rather hard but not hopeless.
I'll be certainly playing it more.
1 x

Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Manic Miner

Post by Rev_Stuart_Campbell »

Okay, that was an agonising chore but here it is as a single TZX for non-loonies:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... neFile.zip

Fantastic-looking game that moves really well. Lots of little niggles so far (falling off moving platforms, shitty Rick Dangerous hidden traps) but very impressive.
4 x

ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

very impressive! also looks Dynamic-inspired (this is not bad, quite the contrary! ;-). thanks for having health bars instead of instakills, btw! ;-)

and yeah, fixing platforms would be great. it's not a fatal flaw, of course, but it somewhat defies player expectation, and creates some frustration out of nowhere.

also, disk version, anyone? ;-)

i believe that in Good Old Golden Days this game would be a magazine hit, with very high scores. fake Crash/YS review, somebody? ;-)
1 x

TMD2003
Manic Miner

Post by TMD2003 »

ketmar wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm
also, disk version, anyone?
Better still, do it as +3, +D and Beta for good measure!
1 x
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!

Packobilly
Berk

Post by Packobilly »

Hi!!
Your first game in asm?
Woh, man!! Its a great game!
Keep on creating!
Cheers!
2 x

JasonUK
Berk

Post by JasonUK »

Very good, especially for a first game! Single file format better than Side A/B, .tap would be better still :)
1 x