Ninja Gaiden Shadow Warriors

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Ninja Gaiden Shadow Warriors

Post by Ralf »

Another great game from Conversion Compo is ready!

www.indieretronews.com/2018/01/ninja-ga ... meboy.html

Haven't played it myself yet but it looks top quality.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Ninja Gaiden Shadow Warriors

Post by R-Tape »

Very, very cool.

I was going to comment on the tiny play area, but I see this is intentional and the original Gameboy's resolution. Deft use of graphics gets away with it too.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, it's exact 1:1 conversion from Game Boy. Keeping original screen size probably made everything much easier and straightforward to port.

Still, if I remember correctly Game Boy version had smooth scrolling and this one is flip screen so some serious change to the gameplay was done nevertheless.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Good conversion of the loading screen! Really like the composition with the titles. Good stuff :P
Some color clash is perfectly fixable though.
Like that red/yellow block on the left hand, or the top right magenta buildings.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

That's really nice!

Makes me realise the GB small square screen would work really well for a BIFROST* game.

I bought a GB Color recently, and am just waiting for my Everdrive Flashcart to arrive before I mess around with backporting Tumult to it. GB has a cutdown Z80 similar to the 8080, so it'll be an interesting experience to work with.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Would love to check it out, but the site requires that I register first.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm Would love to check it out, but the site requires that I register first.
Here's another link for now, I'll check they're cool with it.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm Would love to check it out, but the site requires that I register first.
Here's another link for now, I'll check they're cool with it.
Ta!

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Oooo, pretty neat! My only gripe so far is that there’s no boss energy/damage gauge. I’d love to have that.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've never cared about the play area if the movement is smooth and graphics are good (Terra Cresta, for instance).

Seems a very nice game. And the loading screen is superb.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

That is a really clever conversion. Must have taken ages. I agree with the earlier comment would be great to see this done with Nirvana or the bifrost* engine.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

did they decompile the original? and extract level data n stuff?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I played it a bit.

And it's a great game! I like very much that they didn't made it monochrome (which would be the easiest path when converting from Gameboy mono) but added some colour.

The game difficulty is also all right. You are able to complete levels and win with the bosses but it doesn't come at first time.

I also miss boss energy bar. But it was absent in GB version too.

A little note - at some moment there was a version with some bugs circulating. Be careful to download current version from first post at the compo site.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Ralf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:39 amA little note - at some moment there was a version with some bugs circulating. Be careful to download current version from first post at the compo site.
I cannot download it from there :( Is there an alternative link?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Here's the latest version for now.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm Here's the latest version for now.
Thanks Dave! :D
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Try loading this game in 48 kB mode ;)

A very nice little touch, that I believe none of the games from classic era had.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

The spectrum is a UK computer and in that time period the word 'ninja' was not allowed.
So can the game's authors please rename it to Hero Gaiden and change the title screen also...for decency's sake.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Wall_Axe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm The spectrum is a UK computer and in that time period the word 'ninja' was not allowed.
So can the game's authors please rename it to Hero Gaiden and change the title screen also...for decency's sake.
Really? What about Ninja, Ninja Warriors, Dragon Ninja, Last Ninja II, Ninja Massacre, Ninja Scooter Simulator, Ninja Hamster etc. then? :P
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Been playing it and it's a great game. Difficulty is spot on, good sense of "one more go"!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

The spectrum is a UK computer and in that time period the word 'ninja' was not allowed.

Really? What about Ninja, Ninja Warriors, Dragon Ninja, Last Ninja II, Ninja Massacre, Ninja Scooter Simulator, Ninja Hamster etc. then?
Alessandro, maybe you miss the story about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? ;)

Yes, they were renamed to Hero Turtles in UK. Some guys decided that ninja is a bad guy, a stealth assasin (which is mostly true) so positive characters in a movie for children can't be called ninja.

But it was just a case with these turtles, it wasn't generally forbidden to use the word "ninja" ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:28 pm Alessandro, maybe you miss the story about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? ;)
Of course not :) I already knew it. But it was, as you pointed out, a Turtles-related matter, which only affected our beloved box of wonders because a couple of licensed games were made for it. And quite good, too ;)
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

There were some really weird censorship laws in the UK. What surprised me is for art house/high art you could get away with almost anything but for stuff to be consumed by us plebs the rules were fairly strict on what you could or couldn't put on flim/tv and to a lesser extent print.

Like for example if you were to put on some sort of pop out theatre performance with ninjas, nun chucks and advertise it. That would have been fine because its culture. But if you were to try and broadcast that for general consumption it would not have been permitted.

The whole idea behind the censorship was to keep the general public protected. But if you were considered to be a privileged class you could do as you liked (in the 80s anyway) things had relaxed a fare amount. My memory of it was 'one rule for them and one rule for us.' :lol:

There was a friend of the family, that always had a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover since it was published. Nobody cared, but for sure if we had a copy in our house during the period of its ban it would have been a different matter.