Run!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Run!

Post by PeterJ »

Roman Cikryt contacted me about a new game he has written called RUN!

I made a new game called RUN! It's a runner game inspired by Vector (on Android). Main goal is run & escape, go over various obstacles before the guard catches you. There is in game intro, AY music and 9 levels in 3 difficulties. Controls supports keyboard, Sinclair, Kempston.
Game was published a few days ago on the Czech ZX site.

Download here https://cs.speccy.cz/games/Run.zip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbWhWdBOH8
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Re: Run!

Post by pavero »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] Already added to the ZXDB under #ID 35557. ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Great, it will be in the next update then. Thanks [mention]pavero[/mention].
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Seems a cool (and novel) game.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

It's fast and looks interesting, but it seems to have a few screen update glitches (pixels and colors). :geek:

It also seems to suffer a bit with "programmers art".
i.e. those sprite animations, could be improved :oops:
Although I know it's not an easy subject. 8-)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

If Roman is up for it and can supply the animation frames, I can see what I can do.
Not sure if he is a user here or not.
roman.cikryt
Drutt

Post by roman.cikryt »

Hi RMartins! That's great idea. I will complete sources and send you. Could you contact me via PM.

Post edited at authors request by PJ
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is a fantastic game. Well done [mention]roman.cikryt[/mention]

I like 'programmer's graphics' because it means we get to see a huge range of styles that we wouldn't normally see, but I agree that some of the backgrounds could be better - the dotted skyline especially. So if we see an enhanced version then even better!
pavero wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:17 pm @R-Tape Already added to the ZXDB under #ID 35557. ;)
I don't think that was me. Sending you an email so we don't duplicate.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm This is a fantastic game. Well done @roman.cikryt

I like 'programmer's graphics' because it means we get to see a huge range of styles that we wouldn't normally see, but I agree that some of the backgrounds could be better - the dotted skyline especially. So if we see an enhanced version then even better!
pavero wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:17 pm @R-Tape Already added to the ZXDB under #ID 35557. ;)
I don't think that was me. Sending you an email so we don't duplicate.
Correct sentence should be:

[mention]R-Tape[/mention]: I have already added to the ZXDB under #ID 35557. ;)
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

This is incredible!

Simple, fun and a good balance between rewarding and absolutely infuriating... every time I think I'm stuck and about to give up, I get a bit further. :D

I really like the "silhouette" style graphics - suits the "escape" vibe really well imo, somewhat reminiscent of Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Top work Roman!
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Great game. Sort of like Canabalt, only much better!
I also like these graphics. There's something very different about the aesthetic, but in a good way. Nice use of colour, but not over-the-top. I really like the computer player - works better than I expected from the screenshots I had seen. A good concept superbly executed!
Last edited by patters on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

roman.cikryt wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm Hi RMartins! That's great idea. I will complete sources and send you. Could you contact me on my email, please? [email protected]
[mention]roman.cikryt[/mention] congratulations and kudos for this great game! :D
Furillo Productions' games can be downloaded here:
https://furilloproductions.itch.io/
roman.cikryt
Drutt

Post by roman.cikryt »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm This is a fantastic game. Well done @roman.cikryt

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] Thanks a lot! I did best I can :-) I'm balancing between my graphics skills and lack of memory ;-) But agree, better graphics will be fine. Waiting for [mention]RMartins[/mention] response.
roman.cikryt
Drutt

Post by roman.cikryt »

iadvd wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:15 am @roman.cikryt congratulations and kudos for this great game! :D
Thank you, I'm honored!
roman.cikryt
Drutt

Post by roman.cikryt »

[mention]patters[/mention], thanks for response. I'm happy game surprised you in positive way! I really appreciate it :) I didn't know Canabalt, but I was inspired by similar game Vector.
roman.cikryt
Drutt

Post by roman.cikryt »

[mention]presh[/mention] I spent lot of time on "balancing" and testing. I played that many times and absolutely know, what you mean :-) Sometimes it seems that you can't go any further and then you move a little bit and a lot of enthusiasm comes again.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:34 pm Seems a cool (and novel) game.
I agree Juan. A clever idea, well executed, simple yet enjoyable.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Spoiler
mystical poke 33992,201 8-)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Outstanding game Roman! Thanks for sharing it. I enjoy finding these kinds of games which have some quirky uniqueness to them and are very addictive to play. I actually thought the graphics matched very well with the gameplay. First time I've heard the term "programmer's graphics". In my case, programmer's graphics would be some random bytes from ROM to make up the sprites. I'm lazy with graphics, I guess. :)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

To me, the AY music doesn't quite fit the backstory and the action, but other than that it's great. Nothing wrong with the graphics here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm only at level 5 so far. I don't feel like I'm improving, but somehow I reach the end of each level.
Ersh wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:51 pm To me, the AY music doesn't quite fit the backstory and the action
In theory I totally agree with you. Some highly adrenaline-fuelled AY would be more appropriate, something like Yerz's music on Slubberdegullion.

In practice, I really like the current AY music! The carefree bounciness of it somehow fits, like going for a nice little run round the park in a dystopian world. Maybe it sums up 2020!

(BTW Roman, please don't take any criticisms of your game personally - we're only discussing them because you are making such exciting games.)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

roman.cikryt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:32 am ... I'm balancing between my graphics skills and lack of memory ;-) But agree, better graphics will be fine. Waiting for @RMartins response.
Check your messages. ;)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

This is brilliant, love the animation and gameplay.

I love the vibe you have achieved here, feels dark and modern. I imagine not easily achieved.

I do get this comment too:
Ersh wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:51 pm To me, the AY music doesn't quite fit the backstory and the action, but other than that it's great.
Great stuff :)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I have been exchanging a few messages with [mention]roman.cikryt[/mention]

Here is a sample for running (V4) x2.

Constructive feedback welcomed.