AntEater

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
scoppack
Dizzy

AntEater

Post by scoppack »

Hiya, I've been at it again. This time with some gratefully appreciated help for the playtesting and tweaking. A huge thanks to Stu!!

https://defb.itch.io/anteater

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: AntEater

Post by R-Tape »

Fantastic. It's pretty hard (only completed one screen so far), but I assume that's comparable with the original. I can't find anything wrong with it, the 'AI' of the tongue (if that makes sense) is particularly impressive - it's as if it knows what I want it to do.

Well done to everyone involved.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

This is excellent news - thanks for making this game [mention]scoppack[/mention] and thanks [mention]Rev_Stuart_Campbell[/mention] for the cool looking box. Just a few months ago I opened a thread on this forum on whether such a game exists on the Speccy. Glad to see it's now become available. Off to download it now... :D
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Just been playing this for a while and I'm happy to say that it is very faithful to the original. :D I spent quite a while playing the original a few months ago and this feels very like that experience. If you told me that this was an emulation of the original game, I would have almost believed you, except that the Anteater walking animation on the Speccy is a tad better than the original animation. The tongue action feels exactly the same as the original. The game is hard as hell, but so is the original. I just managed to slip past level 1 by the skin of my teeth.

Very well done :!:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]cmal[/mention] please note that I was very carefully to avoid 'tongue action' innuendos in my post. Please do the same otherwise the barbarians are well and truly through the gates.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:46 pm @cmal please note that I was very carefully to avoid 'tongue action' innuendos in my post. Please do the same otherwise the barbarians are well and truly through the gates.
Yes, right - Oops :o Point noted! Thanks for the heads-up!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

cmal wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:51 pm Yes, right - Oops :o Point noted! Thanks for the heads-up!
No problem. I just don't want it shoved down my throat is all.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:42 pm The Speccy was the only machine of any note that never got a conversion/clone of the game...
We did... sort of. It's one of the sub-games in Gamex. Start at 22:27 and you'll see it.

https://youtu.be/0ZCjkRaQ0Bk?t=1347
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Love the game! It is very difficult, maybe a little too difficult.
Thanks for converting it!
Alex
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Gave it a go and liked it! Over 30K of code, though. Did you write it in assembly, or was it compiled from a higher-level language? (Some oddness in the ISR, too.)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:25 pm No problem. I just don't want it shoved down my throat is all.
I though you said you didn’t want any innuendoes
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I love this game! I can still only reach the second screen.
stupidget wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:25 am I though you said you didn’t want any innuendoes
Hehe. That was late night Saturday silliness. Blame lockdown, nothing to do with me :mrgreen:
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

nice game, but very hard, and even worse - sometimes it's plain impossible to avoid death, this needs to be fixed
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:29 pm It's never impossible to avoid death, any more than it is in any other game. In Pac-Man you can get yourself in a corridor with a ghost at both ends and no escape route, but your problem was getting yourself into that situation.
Never say never. For example, it happens when you cannot retract the tongue to avoid ants because of the spider. You die either way. And there might be not enough time already when the said spider just enters unpredictably (unlike Pac-Man where the ghosts are visible all the time).
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

The spider only comes in at night when the sun gets to the left, or straight away if its already night
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

scoppack wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 pm The spider only comes in at night when the sun gets to the left, or straight away if its already night
So what? Are you implying that the player must win before the sunset every time?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:25 pm No, the player should not put themselves in a situation where they can be trapped between the spider and the ant. They are entirely different types of danger. The appearance of the spider is SUPPOSED to greatly increase the difficulty
and NOT supposed to immediately make a postponed inevitable death situation
more difficult means harder but still technically possible
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:25 pm it's a form of timer.
with too little time left sometimes when some ant enters at the top after
or retracted tongue tip immediately caught between a worm and the spider
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:25 pm Clearing a hill quickly to prevent the spider appearing is one possible strategy.
only that "possible" strategy is sometimes impossible :)
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

LOVELY LOVELY GAME! I love it!!
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:47 pm There is never a situation where the appearance of the spider makes death "inevitable" unless you've played badly and created that situation for yourself. The position of the sun tells you exactly when the spider will appear. Be prepared.
How exactly? When the spider appears, if you keep the tongue long, some ant might appear at the top too soon and you're screwed. If you keep the tongue retracted, a worm appears at the top and you're screwed. You cannot prepare for everything.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:56 pm When the spider appears, ... If you keep the tongue retracted, a worm appears at the top and you're screwed.
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:00 pm You know that worms don't kill you unless you hit them head-on, right? A worm will pass right through your extended tongue doing no harm at all.
you know what "retracted" means, right? the spider on the one side, a worm on the other, nowhere to extend (actually happened to me)
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:09 pm I mean, do you think death is inevitable here, for example?
it would be if there was no queens left to eat (or a queen was blocked by a worm)
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Good thing it’s the weekend. Stayed up til 3am playing this.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:51 pm Well, no. That situation should still be survivable without queens, though it'd be a tough one and you'd have to be very fast and accurate to get out of it.
doubt that very much, the topmost ant is just way too close
actually even without him it could be hopeless if the next one below moves too fast
and it may, given the random speeds of these ants
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:51 pm But the point is, it's up to you not to BE in a situation where you're there with no queens left.
the point is it's not always up to you
you might get unlucky and need queens several times in a row
or have a queen blocked with a worm as i said
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:51 pm It's not a bug in the game or a failure of design. It'd have been bad play on your part.
maybe not a bug, but deliberately "bad" (for a player) design
arcade games weren't supposed to be played indefinitely you know
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:58 pm
Lethargeek wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:23 pm doubt that very much, the topmost ant is just way too close
actually even without him it could be hopeless if the next one below moves too fast
and it may, given the random speeds of these ants
Well then, y'know, you're just wrong. But again, it's on you for getting into that situation in the first place. Play better. There are no unavoidable deaths in the game.
I think this is what makes this game so good. When I first played it, I felt that the game was overly difficult and absurdly unfair. No matter what, those bloody ants had no mercy and got me every time. Then I eventually developed a strategy and got better (but not perfect) and was able to easily make it to the second screen and sometimes to the third. Now I find that I mostly die near the end of a stage because I'm fumbling with the keys trying not to miss a tunnel when frantically trying to get to one of the queens. You have to be quick and if you miss those turns on your way down you can easily die an avoidable death.

I take my hat off to Stu - he must've done a heck of a lot of play-testing to get this game to where it is now.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:58 pm Well then, y'know, you're just wrong.
i just don't see where i'm wrong since the ants' speed is random and quite varied, and the more of them, the more chances one will be too fast
your own screen (w/o queens) is an example of inevitable death unless both top ants crawl at the slowest pace (and even then it's questionable)
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:58 pm But again, it's on you for getting into that situation in the first place. Play better. There are no unavoidable deaths in the game.
there are, no matter how good you may play, the randomness will get ya sooner or later
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Thanks for the game. It's really infuriating and fun to play. I think the original arcade has a button to automatically back up. Call me slow if you want but I feel the tongue is a bit slow to pull it back manually when these fast basterds go ut from nowhere :evil: :lol: