Rival Gangs (GTA demake)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Rival Gangs (GTA demake)

Post by Andre Leao »

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Rival Gangs (GTA demake)

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Okay, this is totally awesome!

I love the way the guys roll on the ground when you shoot them. :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Did a quick gameplay video...

https://youtu.be/GhNLkSj9v1E

Download : https://zxpresh.itch.io/rival-gangs
(please be generous, I've got the heating on 24/7) :lol:
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:07 pm Okay, this is totally awesome!

Hehe, thanks man! I'm just glad you actually managed to shoot someone... I think the skill required to actually shoot anyone is on a par with the original GTA :lol:
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Just watched the video and it looks amazing - you’ve even got kill frenzies in there! Definitely going to check this out over the weekend.

The 2D GTA games are a bit overlooked these days, but they were great fun.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

presh wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:56 am
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:07 pm Okay, this is totally awesome!

Hehe, thanks man! I'm just glad you actually managed to shoot someone... I think the skill required to actually shoot anyone is on a par with the original GTA :lol:
Oh, shooting people is no problem, it’s the car hijacking that I can’t get the hang of. I managed to get in one by accident. Haven’t been able to do it again since, though.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:50 am Oh, shooting people is no problem, it’s the car hijacking that I can’t get the hang of.
Ah, that's understandable... there's definitely a "knack" to it! But with a bit of practice, it becomes much easier.

Hopefully this video will help anyone struggling! :)

https://youtu.be/FcYMsyMinGg
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Grr . . . I’mma try that. Looks hard, though. Do I have to approach the car from a particular side or it doesn’t matter? I seem to remember the one time I managed to steal one, I came up to it from behind.
Last edited by Ast A. Moore on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:16 pm Grr . . . I’mma try that. Looks hard, though. Do I have to approach the car from a particular side or it doesn’t matter? I seem to remember the one time I managed to steal on, I came up to it from behind.
Might not be clear from the video but if you perch yourself on the edge of a pavement you can just stand still and jump in as it passes you on the corner. Watch it back and focus on the player, I know it's kinda rushed given all the text and action is mixed together! I'm new to video editing so pausing it and adding circles, labels etc to better describe what's going on is currently beyond my capabilities.

You can jump in either side, you just need to be kinda where the doors would be (approx. middle 1/3rd of vehicles length)

One of the planned features was having parked cars at various points on the map (e.g. car parks) like in GTA. This would have made it much easier to get a vehicle... but I ran out of time, unfortunately.
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Update: Bug fix!

The version submitted for the zx-dev competition contained a fatal bug which is now fixed in the latest version. Please grab it from https://zxpresh.itch.io/rival-gangs

Also I'm pretty overwhelmed that this has had 900 downloads in less than a week :o :D
Sadly I won't be giving up the day job just yet with just $25 in donations... though at 1.6p per download that's still better than Spotify :lol:
Though unfortunately this means I have no contact details for most of the people who still have the buggy version (500-ish before the new version was uploaded) :cry:

Anyway, onwards!

I was mucking about with it last night and made it so your comrades stop instead of running you over. This makes it a lot easier to get a car! So I figure I'm gonna create a "complete" version which implements some of the bits that were missing from the zx dev competition version.

I'll post updates in the dev thread but if you're not keeping an eye on that, please follow me at https://zxpresh.itch.io/

In the meantime, if anyone has any constructive feedback (and there should be 900 of you, apparently!) then I'd love to hear it :)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

presh wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:51 pm You can jump in either side, you just need to be kinda where the doors would be (approx. middle 1/3rd of vehicles length)
After a lot of frustrating (and fruitless) attempts, I figured out it was the user error. I was pressing the Fire key, rather than Space. :roll: Hadn’t realized I could be that thick. :oops: