Steamed Hams

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Steamed Hams

Post by PROSM »

Whilst I've been writing the ZX Adventure Designer system, I've noticed the Steamed Hams meme that has been circulating around Youtube for a while. If you're unfamiliar with this meme, it is a scene from The Simpsons season 7 episode 22 Short Films about Springfield where Skinner invites Superintendent Chalmers over for a luncheon, but unfortunately his roast burns and he tries to rescue the situation by buying fast-food instead. A Youtube copy of the scene is in the spoiler below:
Spoiler
Anyways, I thought that this scene would be a perfect candidate for conversion to my interactive fiction engine which I used in the Spectrum port of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. There are different plot choices you can make here and there's more than one way to successfully complete the game.

It is available for download from Dropbox here.

You can see one way to beat the game in the video below, but remember that there are other ways the game can end.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS6nlmsiaqg[/media]

Here are some screenshots:

Image Image

A special thanks to Einar Saukas for ZX7 compression, without which this tomfoolery would have taken up much more memory.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Steamed Hams

Post by R-Tape »

Looks interesting, but it doesn't load. Something about "invalid block length".
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:03 pm Looks interesting, but it doesn't load. Something about "invalid block length".
Whoops, the tape should have a .tzx extension. Strange thing is, it works on FUSE even though it's got the wrong file extension. I'll fix the download now.

EDIT: The download has now been fixed. I think some emulators are dependent on the file extension for determining the type, whereas others (like FUSE) don't check the file extension, thus why I didn't spot the error beforehand. I should've checked it on different emulators.
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

SEYMORRRRRRRRRE! :D

Good chortleworthy fun, I made it to a 'good' ending first time.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 am SEYMORRRRRRRRRE! :D

Good chortleworthy fun, I made it to a 'good' ending first time.
It's a quick laugh really, once you find both good endings, the adventure's pretty much done. Glad to hear you had fun with the game! :mrgreen:
All software to-date