New Game: Thoroughly Modern Willy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
bob_fossil
Dizzy

New Game: Thoroughly Modern Willy

Post by bob_fossil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 am

Here's my entry for the Spectrum Computing mini game competition , Thoroughly Modern Willy.

Guide Willy through 6 screens as he gets to grips with modern times.

You can download it from here.

Many Happy Returns!

Bob Fossil
4 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Re: New Game: Thoroughly Modern Willy

Post by Ralf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 am

6 screens? I suppose it's a big chance for me to complete a Willy game for the first time in my life ;)
0 x

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am

Took me half an hour to get through the Manic Miner screen!
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am

This is fantastic!

And there was me thinking MM was perfect - the addition of one lever to the Central Cavern adds a huge amount to the gameplay.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Nooo!

Just finished the level "Don't mention the..." and the program has stuck on me in the exit. That's not intentional is it? it's only level 5 I think.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Cliff Edge Brexit glitches:

Bottom level: Start walking left pushing the jump block in front of you. The letter bounces off it. The block randomly disappears and reappears, sometimes as a simple red square. The letter can be lodged between the invisible block and the left ledge, moving a couple of character cells inside the ledge.

Middle level: Once the block is moved to the left by the conveyor belt and you’ve collected the pound sign and jumped back on the the conveyor, walking right swaps you and the red-and-white block and you die. (The dying part is probably intentional, but the visual swap looks like a glitch.

They stole half a million glitches:

If you push the red-and-white block off the rightmost ledge and it meets the baddie; the baddie shifts to the left erasing the one-cell-wide block of the ledge with fire one it. You can still jump on it, but since the baddie’s vertical axis has shifted, it’s almost impossible to avoid it.

M’kay, I’m thoroughly stuck on level three. :)
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

bob_fossil
Dizzy

Post by bob_fossil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm
Nooo!

Just finished the level "Don't mention the..." and the program has stuck on me in the exit. That's not intentional is it? it's only level 5 I think.
I had a quick run through of the final code yesterday (with infinite lives mind) and made it all the way through to the end screen after level 6, so there's something not quite right somewhere.
0 x

bob_fossil
Dizzy

Post by bob_fossil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Cliff Edge Brexit glitches:

Bottom level: Start walking left pushing the jump block in front of you. The letter bounces off it. The block randomly disappears and reappears, sometimes as a simple red square. The letter can be lodged between the invisible block and the left ledge, moving a couple of character cells inside the ledge.

Middle level: Once the block is moved to the left by the conveyor belt and you’ve collected the pound sign and jumped back on the the conveyor, walking right swaps you and the red-and-white block and you die. (The dying part is probably intentional, but the visual swap looks like a glitch.

They stole half a million glitches:

If you push the red-and-white block off the rightmost ledge and it meets the baddie; the baddie shifts to the left erasing the one-cell-wide block of the ledge with fire one it. You can still jump on it, but since the baddie’s vertical axis has shifted, it’s almost impossible to avoid it.

M’kay, I’m thoroughly stuck on level three. :)
If you're not going to play nicely with the blocks, I'll take them off you! :)

The first glitch needs a look at. The second and third, I quite like.
SpoilerShow
Try not pushing that block.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:45 pm

bob_fossil wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 pm
The first glitch needs a look at. The second and third, I quite like.
Ha! Fair enough.

Okay, I just finished (?) the game, and as Dave mentions, it hangs at the end of “Don’t mention the . . .” I tried debugging it briefly, but it looks like it was written in a higher-level language, rather than in assembly directly, because there’s a great deal of what looks like compiler output to me. I haven’t gotten to the actual part that causes the crash/hanging, but I can tell you that the stack goes bananas and is pointed somewhere toward the beginning of the ROM area. From then on, the whole thing goes to hell in a handbasket. :D
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm
Nooo!

Yup, happened here too... after much gnashing of teeth to get the timing just right... grrrrrr.
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK