New Game: Thoroughly Modern Willy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New Game: Thoroughly Modern Willy

Post by R-Tape »

Everyone's had this except Bob then, who playtested with infy lives and will know the gameplay inside out. When I was on this level I had 1 life left and started using (a LOT of) snapshots. Might means the bug is death/restart related?
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I used snapshots and kept 2 lives at the bot-left of the screen, so I snapped after losing a life somewhere along the line.
I've also tried jumping at the exit from different places to see if it makes any change, nope, just ends up in a crash to reset (sounds like a great name for a band)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I think it's downright unfair of you lot to be playing this game in a different manner to myself. :)

I have a suspicion I've done something to the code in generating the final version which is a compressed single block If I play through to level 5 on the uncompressed version it doesn't appear to crash on entering the exit.

I've uploaded the uncompressed version along with a snapshot (.szx) before entering the exit on level 5.

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... /debug.zip
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers Bob, good ending!

Great wee game, level 5 is by far the hardest.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Glad you liked it. Everyone's been very charitable with my wonky code - which made level 5 a lot harder than I ever intended it to be. :) Guess I'll have to do a post competition release now.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

It works... yay! Nice ending too.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just downloaded. In the 1st attempt, I couldn't reach second screen... off form, definitely! :lol:
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I've updated the download link in the first post with a fixed version which doesn't crash out after finishing level 5.