the hobbit 16k

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: the hobbit 16k

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MrPixel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm will the other members be able to run the game in snapshot form?
It’s your call, but I strongly recommend to not distribute games as snapshots. Snapshots contain machine model and other configuration information, including attached peripherals, which will disrupt a user’s settings. Just create a regular TAP or TZX file.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 pm
MrPixel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm will the other members be able to run the game in snapshot form?
It’s your call, but I strongly recommend to not distribute games as snapshots. Snapshots contain machine model and other configuration information, including attached peripherals, which will disrupt a user’s settings. Just create a regular TAP or TZX file.
but then how will i be able to distribute it?
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Sure, I think most emulators support snapshot. Some people submit their entry in snapshot form, others tape, micro drive or disk its up to you.

I was always partial to using tap's for when I was asking questions about a project and I had a problem.

When I am doing work on projects I have the project and all the assets I put them either on the micro drive or a disk image.
Last edited by Nomad on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MrPixel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 pm It’s your call, but I strongly recommend to not distribute games as snapshots. Snapshots contain machine model and other configuration information, including attached peripherals, which will disrupt a user’s settings. Just create a regular TAP or TZX file.
but then how will i be able to distribute it?
A file is a file is a file. How were you planning to distribute a snapshot?

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I might be wrong but I think Mr Pixel has inadvertently mistaken 'snapshot' for snapshot as in a 'picture'.

[mention]MrPixel[/mention] , I'll send you an email later this evening how to make a tape image (.TZX, .TAP), or emulator snapshot image (.SNA, .Z80) like the one you already sent for your Wolfman project we're working on (which I think we should prioritise :D ), and how to distribute it.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm I might be wrong but I think Mr Pixel has inadvertently mistaken 'snapshot' for snapshot as in a 'picture'.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVczf8Or8xo[/media]